Every Single Honda Accord Generation, Ranked

Well we have owned 1997 / 2002 / 2009 / 2018. Still own two of them at this time.
The 2002 lasted with us 18 years and took us across the USA on trips from 1200 mi to 2200 miles with no trouble at all.
Matter of fact none have had any major repairs at all. Just normal predictive / preventive maintenance like brakes and fluid changes.

Reactions: hrv
I'm still baffled why they put 19" heavy rims with super low profile tires on a Hybrid Accord Touring. This causes it to drop fuel economy rating by 4 MPG. You'd think getting better mpg would be kind of important on a hybrid, of all vehicles.
Camry hybrid was the same way for us. Complete turnoff for the upper trims.

I'm still baffled why they put 19" heavy rims with super low profile tires on a Hybrid Accord Touring. This causes it to drop fuel economy rating by 4 MPG. You'd think getting better mpg would be kind of important on a hybrid, of all vehicles.
MPG? People still care about that? How quaint! People want a car that looks aggressive and 15-wheels don't cut it any more. ;)

My brother had an '89 2-door hatch.... It was a fancy model with EFI and if I recall, the lesser models still used a carb.

Like most from that vintage, the Illinois salt was not kind to it.

Never owned one, but I’ve seen 2nd and 4th gen Accords go through hell and come out unscathed more times than I can count.
Always liked the 2nd and 3rd look the best.

My first car was a 5th Gen (1997) 2-door. My family owned it from 2003-2022, we got it with 93,000 miles, I was the last owner and it had 332,000 miles on it when we got rid of it. I kinda miss that car. It treated us well, but sometimes you just have to say goodbye.

I would think hybrid owners would care about MPG.
Yep. In our case, certainly.

That said, I could see someone saying, gee the hybrid option get 20% more mpg, but then I lose 5% with the rims I would rather have. 15% is still a net win.

Not for me but I could see some (if not many) being happy with that tradeoff.

My 95 Accord was pretty good in driving dynamics, that double whishbone suspension was not just a marketing gimmick. I had the 2.2L manual without the vetch, but it moved pretty well.
The 07 Accord still had the wishbone suspension....that was the last year....

The best Accord to me was first gen Acura TSX which was very close to the European Accord I rented in mid 2000s . The rest meh but nice sportier family cars.

IDK what 'generation' they were but my brother bought a brand new 1986 Accord (LXI I think) with a 5 speed stick....after his wife wrecked it he bought a brand new 1991 teal green Accord A/T. Both were such good cars that I bought a brand new 2001 Accord which wasn't nearly as good as his two Accords. The 1986 5 speed exuded quality of materials and precision manufacturing...

Yep. In our case, certainly.

That said, I could see someone saying, gee the hybrid option get 20% more mpg, but then I lose 5% with the rims I would rather have. 15% is still a net win.

Not for me but I could see some (if not many) being happy with that tradeoff.
Yup. For me it isn't as much about giving up MPG as it is about giving up comfort and risking bent wheels - our roads are terrible, especially during winter.

My BMW rims with 235/45 tires are already all bent up, and the Accord comes with even lower profile tires (235/40).

I bought a brand new 2001 Accord which wasn't nearly as good as his two Accords.
Agreed. Fit & finish on my '00 Accord was terrible - poorly fitting trim pieces, air leaks, water leaks, and helpless dealer network not having the slightest clue how to address it.

Agreed. Fit & finish on my '00 Accord was terrible - poorly fitting trim pieces, air leaks, water leaks, and helpless dealer network not having the slightest clue how to address it.
Also, the BAXA A/T on the 1998 to 2002 was problematic. I read that Honda was trying to smooth out shifts from their earlier A/Ts which shifted firmly but lasted much better than the (smoother shifting) BAXA.

PS: I think the car magazines and CR were so full of praise for all things Honda that Honda let their game down.

I would think hybrid owners would care about MPG.
I know, I was being sarcastic. Hence the winking smiley. But yeah, it does seem ironic to have wheels which cost a mileage penalty on a vehicle that's supposed to be high-MPG. But we Americans are a funny lot - we demand mileage, but we buy huge heavy SUVs. And the manufacturers are well aware.

Back