Every Single Honda Accord Generation, Ranked

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I'm not so sure I agree with this assessment. IMO, the absolute best generation was the third ('86-'89), second best was '04-'07. The absolute worst was '08-'12...the rest are a toss up of mediocrity.

I kind of stopped reading when he called the 2.4 K24 engine, possibly one of the best 4 cylinder economy car engines Honda ever made, a “2.0”! C’mon, man!

Clickbait at it's finest. You'd think Jalopnik of all places would have writers mildly enough interested in cars to know the displacement of an engine in an Accord.

I had an 86 and 87 Accord. My 86 got totaled in a flood. After I got the check from the insurance company I went out and bought the exact same car. It was one year newer but nothing had changed.

Reactions: JC1
I kind of stopped reading when he called the 2.4 K24 engine, possibly one of the best 4 cylinder economy car engines Honda ever made, a “2.0”! C’mon, man!
I had a 2.4 in my 07 accord and was getting in the mid 30s for MPG...and also put on 386000 on it with NO engine problems at all...original water pump and original alternator too...also I think the 7th generation 2 door coupe was a sharp looking car...

Still liking our '07 k24. High points are good handling / ride combination, refined drivetrain, and reliability. Several years ago I reduced road noise to an acceptable level by lining the doors, trunk, and wheel housings with 80mil butyl sound deadener.
Bought new, now has 150,000 kms and has been completely reliable so far. Plan to have it many more years.

Wow. We all need some of what this guy is smokin'.
I have owned three Accords. A Second generation (1985), a third generation (1989) and still own an eighth generation (2012)
Of all of those, I would say that the second/ third would be head to head as to the best generation.
I would probably give the nod to the second generation in that overall quality appeared a bit more sorted in gen two, IMO.
In regard to the eighth, I'd agree that was the low point; however, each proceeding generation has been mediocre at best .
I'm still laughing that his assertion that the eighth generation was an Avalon fighter.
The Accord of that generation couldn't even aspire to that bar.
Its best sparring partner of that time would have been the Chevrolet Impala.

I had an 86 and 87 Accord. My 86 got totaled in a flood. After I got the check from the insurance company I went out and bought the exact same car. It was one year newer but nothing had changed.

Back then they were the bomb! Kinda like a few years of the Maxima. That's all changed in today's world.

What's wrong with the 8th gen? NA port injection K24 with no CVT transmission. Way more reliable than the new Honda junk.

I had a 1989 LXi in college and after that I bought for $50. It’s where I got my forum name too. I put 30,000 miles on it, drove it to the top of Pikes Peak and sold it for $600 in 2006. It was a great car. It broke the timing belt the day before I moved to Denver. My friend and I put a new belt on and I moved from St. Louis to Denver in it.

My mom, brother and aunt all had Heather Mist Metallic 1994-1996 Accord sedans at the same time as well.

What's wrong with the 8th gen? NA port injection K24 with no CVT transmission. Way more reliable than the new Honda junk.

Mechanically, it is probably the most stout drivetrain that Honda has ever put on four wheels.
The problem is the rest of the vehicle.
It is probably the most "Anti Accord" Accord that Honda ever built.
However, if one thinks of it as merely a "Transportation Appliance," it's serviceable.

Back