Ever sell used tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
And the tire shop will happily take them and charge a tire disposal fee for each one no matter how nice the tires are. Then they may sell them or get some sort of kickback from someone else.

Obviously you don't have Hispanic tire shops. If a shop wanted to charge a disposal fee for good tires move on. Main point is it's easy to sell good tires if you can handle the liability.

Many states require disposal to be charged when BUYING a tire, regardless of whether one is being discarded.

When I bought the Cooper tires that are now on my car, I was left with the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A tires that had come with the car. They had about 6/32" on them and were overall in good shape, but were too noisy on the road for my liking.

I posted them on craigslist - all 4 for $100. Someone from Tucson drove up and bought them. I have absolutely zero doubts as to their roadworthiness, so I'm fine with having sold them. If had had any doubt about whether they would be safe, I would not have sold them. The guy clearly didn't have much money, and he got a decent set of tires for cheap, while I made back about 1/2 of what I paid for the Coopers (after rebate).

I bought some usa made mud tires for my jeep 4 years ago. I paid $70ea. They wore like iron and still had 1/2 inch of tread on them when I sold them last month. I put them up for $250, so I could be bargained down to the $200 I wanted for them. They were bought in 45 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Many states require disposal to be charged when BUYING a tire, regardless of whether one is being discarded.

Discount Tire charges $2/tire, I wouldn't let 8 bucks change my mind if I want to dump the tires rather than sell them.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

What you are describing is actually a tire tax, not a disposal fee, which is separate from, and on addition to, the tire tax.

The disposal fee is only if you discard a tire (like discarding your old tires when you buy new tires at your favorite tire shop. This fee can vary based on the shop or whoever takes your tires.

The tire tax is when you buy tires, and is the same anywhere in the state and does not vary based on who installs your tires or takes your old tires.

For example, if you buy tires from Tire Rack, and you're not in a state where they collect tax, you do not pay the tire tax, but you do pay the disposal fee (but you pay that to the installer)

If you live in Indiana and buy from TR, you pay the tire tax to TR, and you pay the disposal fee to your installer.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I might get more selling them to someone from Craigslist, etc. who might also be casing my home, while there ostensibly to look at the tires. But I value my time, and home security, too much to do that.

Meet at the local police station parking lot for the sale. Weeds out most of the criminals esp if they have active warrants. I had a seller that wanted to do that with me. No problem here.
smile.gif

Yeah, but it still goes back to valuing my time. If I go that route I still have to haul the tires home, unload them, place an ad, field calls, maybe arrange to meet someone, load the tires back up, drive there, where they will decide whether they want them or not. If they don't buy them, I get to do it all over again with the next tire-kicker..

If that works for some, more power to them. I would rather be doing other things.

I sold a set on CL, they were there tires that came with my Element. I think they were Yokohamas in good shape, they just had terrible traction in the wet and snow. Had about 8/32 left and were about 3 years old.

I had no issues with road worthiness and sold them for an ok price. I wanted them go since have no space.

Obviously it depend on the location and market, but I think a matching set of 4 tires can add decent value to a guy flipping cars. Just think about the times you're buying a used car and see 4 mismatched tires, it makes you think that it wasn't maintained well.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I think they were Yokohamas in good shape, they just had terrible traction in the wet and snow. Had about 8/32 left and were about 3 years old.

I almost bought some used Nexens on CL that had 24k miles on them. I asked why he was selling and he said traction issues in the winter getting up a hill by his house. He couldn't sell them and kept emailing me with a lower price. I think he got it down to $20 for all four. I checked to see if his ad was still up a few days later but it looks like they finally sold. He bought some Hankook all seasons instead which were much better. At least he was honest about it.

nonsense about selling on craigslist being so scary!

I put the item out in my garage and the person comes to purchase it.

Been selling on craigslist for 15 years, nobody has cased my house either.

People read too much on the internet.

Also tires for most cars are 16 or 17 inches now adays, I don't see it being worth it to buy used 16 inch rubber, when it is 50-75 dollars each new.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Also tires for most cars are 16 or 17 inches now adays, I don't see it being worth it to buy used 16 inch rubber, when it is 50-75 dollars each new.

Your experience is NOT an indicator of how every craigslist type of deal goes. I can tell you how friends and family have had bad things happen due to having some supposed buyer come to their home, or even meeting in a 'safe space' like near a Police Station, etc. I also have Police Officer friends that have responded to numerous calls relating to some craigslist type deal gone bad.

I live in a good area. But there are more crime ridden areas within 30 miles, and criminals have no problem stealing a car to go ripoff some trusting sucker on craigslist, facebook, etc.

Good luck with your deals. I hope the problem-free trend continues.

I would buy the least expensive set of steel rims and mount winter tires. I do this on all our current cars. The Nokians are my favorite. The Altimax Artic is second and an excellent value. I'm a big believer in dedicated winter tires.

Sam

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH

Then you were lucky. Your experience =/= everyone's experience.

..and nobody has cased your house... that you know of.

I've bought and sold dozens of items on Craigslist without a hint of shadyness from anyone, including tires. All transactions have occurred at my house or the sellers house.

If anyone is that afraid of potential harm, keep your pistol near by if you have one.

Sell them on Craigslist Astro, like others have indicated, they'll likely be sold to a worthy buyer for a fair price in a day. I've bought most tires for my Corolla on Craigslist; why not! I always find great tires like the ones you're selling, for a great price.

Sold the near new spare (Dueler H/T) for my Navara online.

Took a total of 15 minutes of my life and got me $100 for the tyre and rim, which then bought a matching alloy rim for 5 tyre rotation.

Will similarly sell the Dueler H/T off the Colorado one day.

Originally Posted By: Cgreene221
I’ve sold used tires for years. You should be able to get up to $400. Advertise them on your local Facebook selling pages or in the craigslist, etc

Good luck. I would rather buy new at that cost.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Do you want the liability of selling those tires to someone and winding up in a law suit if something happens? No. There great tires otherwise? Well if that is true set them aside and put them back on next spring on another set of wheels.

Ever hear of Caveat Emptor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back