Ever own a strange or unusual car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a Merkur XR4Ti. It was a really bad car. The exhaust manifold has so hot after driving that it glowed bright red.

10_190195.jpg

The gentleman who dropped a VW tdi in a saturn s-series gave me his old gas motor. His build thread. We work together albeit in different departments and I still see his black saturn tooling around-- he grafted the TDI badge on the back of it. It rolls a little coal on cold starts.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It was a diesel too. Was a blast to drive.

b66kxy.jpg

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Had a Merkur XR4Ti. It was a really bad car. The exhaust manifold has so hot after driving that it glowed bright red.

10_190195.jpg

That reminds me, I also had a Merkur(Ford) Scorpio. It was nice to drive, but reliability was an issue. So were maintenance costs. It was my wife's car; at the same time I was driving a 535is with triple the mileage. The 5er never broke down and parts(with a BMW CCA discount) were @40% less than the equivalent Ford part.

In 1976, I bought a 1967 Jensen FF from my Uncle who bought it from GM in a sealed bid auction. The FF was the predesessor to the Jensen Interceptor and had all wheel drive. It had a Chrysler 383 instead of the 440 in the Interceptor. I sold the car to a Navy submarine officer in 1981. It is now in New Zealand. Do a Google search for Jensen FF 119007 and you will find pictures of it. It is a Burgundy metallic and beautiful. I corresponded with the current owner several years ago and told him the history of the car.

Some things I had were odd, but I guess that depends on perspective.

I did a fair bit of my driver training on a 1974 Continental Town Car, which is huge, and I miss.
wink.gif

My first car was a 1983 Ford LTD midsize with the 2.3 L and factory LPG, which is an oddball in a lot of ways. I also owned a 1990 Town Car for a period in my mid 20s, which is odd, since most who own them are in their mid 70s. I had a 1999.5 Lightning I bought brand new, which was odd based on rarity, I suppose.

My wife’s prior 2005 Legacy GT manual 5 speed wagon with 250HP. Only 1200 made for 2005 and then dropped in favor ofOutback and automatic. Basically grown up/nicer/family oriented WRX with civilized motor. Hoot to drive.

It was rarer model with Legacy GT wagons also that was base lacking leather, power seats and moon roof.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
Had a factory manual transmission 1979 elcamino. May not be rare but Ive never seen another

They race g-bodies around here on dirt tracks and the 3-pedal assembly from those is worth some coin. When I was a kid someone at church had a sedan with, I think, a 3-speed stick. Must have been the loss-leading shame-special.

In 1979 you could get a ford fairmont with 3- or 4-speed manuals as well. IDK who, after the 1973 oil embargo, would say, eh, three's good 'nuf. Or were they afraid of the complexity of those crazy overdrives? Need a time capsule to get in their minds.

My first car was a 1994 Ford Explorer Sport, the more uncommon 2 door model. My mom is still driving it today. For a few years my uncle had a 1992 Mazda Navajo, which was a rebadged Explorer, only made from 91-94, also a 2 door. (Navajos were only available in 2 door and 4wd)

My 06 Ranger has the 2 door extended cab (it does not have the little half-doors on the extended cab portion). That is pretty uncommon in later model Rangers. The first year for the half-doors was 1998, and most extended cabs had them after that year.

My 2004 Honda CR-V has a manual transmission, which is pretty uncommon. I bought it even though it was in worse shape than I hoped, because I knew I was unlikely to find another.

My first car was a 1970 Grand Prix Model J, an unusual body style that lasted only two years. I don't think I've seen more than two or three other '69-70s in the wild.
Not mine, but an example:

I also had a slant-six Duster that was plain-Jane in every way except a floor shift 3-speed and purple paint. (I always called it Plum Crazy, but a couple years ago I found out Plymouth's name was In Violet.) The original owner said it had been a dealer floor model.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
My first car was a 1970 Grand Prix Model J, an unusual body style that lasted only two years. I don't think I've seen more than two or three other '69-70s in the wild.
Not mine, but an example:

I also had a slant-six Duster that was plain-Jane in every way except a floor shift 3-speed and purple paint. (I always called it Plum Crazy, but a couple years ago I found out Plymouth's name was In Violet.) The original owner said it had been a dealer floor model.

I know where there’s one of these for sale. I’ve only seen a couple of them.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
So far the cars shown are not overly unusual so I’ll chime in. Mine was a 1976 German built Mercury Capri with a 2.8 liter V-6, 4 speed, dual exhaust, Black with gold wheels. The windshield washer was a foot pump instead of electric. They all rusted away in the 80’s. Pretty rare now.

I had the same, but a red 1973. And a 1962 Renault Dauphine (top that!).

I guess my 1971 Roadrunner 383 with factory 4 speed Hurst pistol grip shifter with factory A/C qualifies, not too many 4 speed with factory air made that year (around 700 IIRC).

Originally Posted By: Danh
And a 1962 Renault Dauphine (top that!).

Only ever seen one of those...gorgeous yellow, out the front of "Alpine Motors", the Renault repairers in the '80s.

Owned a YUGO for a couple of years, ran like a champ, gave those toyotas and Datsuns a run for the money
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back