Ever made an Emotional purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused. Did you (almost) buy it because you wanted it or because it was a good deal?

I've saved up to buy things I wanted, so I guess that could be considered emotional, but they were also usually things I needed. Never buy something just because "it's a good deal" unless you need it or intend to sell it for profit. That's how hoarding starts. My grandparents have a barn full of stuff they've bought at tag sales that were "good deals" that they never use.

Probably anything I financed was an emotional purchase--wanted it, so I found a way to get it.

Most stuff I pay cash for is stuff that I go into with the understanding I might throw it away--and I better be ok with that. There was a couple of low cost vehicles that I did that with, but for the most part, once gone I was over it. Stuff that I've financed, the regret hangs on for years.

I have made plenty of emotional/irrational purchases. Both Mustangs in my sig, my Matco toolbox and most of the tools inside, most of my guns, my NASCAR diecast collection. I am working on it though. Fortunately the job covers them.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I have made plenty of emotional/irrational purchases. Both Mustangs in my sig, my Matco toolbox and most of the tools inside, most of my guns, my NASCAR diecast collection. I am working on it though. Fortunately the job covers them.

That's how it should be.

You spend money on your hobbies and your wife spends money on her hobbies.

Emotional purchase ?
LOVE seafood so I frequent seafood restaurants …
My wife’s emotional purchasing normally means another pet …

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

That's how it should be.

You spend money on your hobbies and your wife spends money on her hobbies.

Good thing I am single. He who dies with the most toys wins.

Thanks for responses. I am not sure whether my mentality was moreso a good deal, or because it was something I really wanted. I mean the bike appealed to me on so many levels. It looked cool. Definitely some vanity. I am interested in why one you thinks the personality test can be a cop-out. I suppose it is true that we never make decisions completely devoid of emotion. And I also agree that the test can be used an excuse to “accept things the way they are.” But does that really invalidate the test? Just curious.

The bike sold today. I don’t really regret missing out on it now. I think the stress of having little money is not worth having it around. I guess financial irresponsiblility is more rampant that I thought. When I see the abundance of new cars on the streets, my first thought is everyone else is rich, but me. But that may not be the case.
I wonder how many people are driving around cars they can’t afford.

I have a very similar bike. It's a Norco, was around $2,500CDN. That was a good deal on the Specialized assuming the frame was good.

Originally Posted By: Kurtatron

I wonder how many people are driving around cars they can’t afford.

A LOT. I personally know of a few folks who make decent money but live paycheck to paycheck because they finance so many things they cannot afford.

I read your post and it hit a note with me. Don't beat yourself up. It is good you have vision to see your flaws. Many don't. Learn to look at each big purchase with wary eyes. Many times you don't need the bike..car, whatever. But your mind says you do. Set some long term goal, like 5 years out and stick with them.

Most of my vehicles are emotional purchases, and definitely not necessities. I don't regret buying any of them. I would never put myself in a financial bind by buying a toy I couldn't afford.

I buy stuff on impulse all the time, including real estate, and probably almost every car. I could not care less what that does, or does not, say about my personality.

I try to avoid being a sucker, which many impulse buyers are. I can't say I have been 100% successful.

Some people put themselves through a lot of agony deciding on this, that, or the other thing to buy. I try not to be that guy - it's just a ( fill in the blank ) to me.

I bought my truck to keep the salt and miles off my Jeep. Both equally get bad gas mileage and are basically interchangeable in terms of daily driving and worth about the same money wise.

I originally wanted a 7th gen 5 speed civic, but her BIL's family member was selling my truck. My brother had one for a while and I liked it, which is why I bought it. 2 emotional choices in one I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back