EVAP emissions monitor not ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Instead of pulling the battery and resetting everything and back to square one, would a OBD II scan tool read and reset just the one problem code (everything else goes on as usual), and drive on a while under ideal conditions to see if it comes back? Just asking - I dunno...

No, a reset goes back to square one. Only exception might be a honda bi-directional scan tool that can command tests in the dealer bay, if such a thing exists. I know they do for some fords.

I would keep the gas between 1/4 and 3/4 but don't obsessively fill it as there's an overnight test and it probably likes it predictable. You may have to repeat 2 or 3 times particularly if it's cold-ish or high elevation.

EVAP on my former HHR took 2 weeks to make up its mind.

The monitors usually set having something to do with a drive cycle where the 02 sensor and the temperature sensor (CTS) set a value. Possibly other values, as well.

It will vary for every single vehicle and range of vehicles. Sometimes, the general advice of drive it around until it sets will work.. and sometimes, it will not.

If trying various amounts of gas and driving various distances and speeds for various amounts of time doesn't set it, you will need the input of your Full Service Manual or an experienced technician for your vehicle to achieve readiness status.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
If it's not ready in 1 tank of gas then it's never going to be ready. We have smog testing where I am so I'm experienced with this sort of problem.

Not bad information, based on previous experiences with "Monitors Not Ready"

wink.gif

Monitors don't always run in a tank of gas, most do but a few don't. Examples are EVAP and P0420/430 Cat monitors can sometimes take hundreds of miles. My experience is GM module calibrations etc so I know a little too, lol.

Must be a GM thing, never experienced that. I will make note.
thumbsup2.gif

No, it is an OBD2 standard.

Then I disagree.

Go educate yourself. I've dealt with you in the past. You were wrong, just go research and learn. I can assure you my level of expertise and experience is well above yours in the technical auto world. Why argue? Just learn...

I disagree because of first hand experiences with smog testing and monitors not being ready and what we have done to get them ready.

What makes YOU superior that I can't disagree? Are you a king or something?

You can have your experiences and what you call an education and I can have mine. The world doesn't need to be one way. It never has been and never will. You need to get over your superiority complex which is clearly evident.

Last edited:
I disagree because of first hand experiences with smog testing and monitors not being ready and what we have done to get them ready.

What makes YOU superior that I can't disagree? Are you a king or something?

You can have your experiences and what you call an education and I can have mine. The world doesn't need to be one way. It never has been and never will. You need to get over your superiority complex which is clearly evident.

Wow, A Lion you are! It was a quiet while you were gone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back