eureka fluid film

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody use this stuff? I got 1gallon non-aerosol that I'm going to use through an electric sprayer for rustproofing some cars of ours. the website says you can thin it out a little with thin motor oil. has anybody thinned it out, how will this stuff stick if its mixed with motor oil.

thanks

I read through their web site. They are somewhat secretive of the formulation - the MSDS doesn't really tell you what it's made of. All I can gather is that it's made of wool wax (lanolin).

The Texaco rustproofing I keep touting on this site is made of wool grease. I believe it's the same thing. I have a lot of experience with this product. It's wonderful. I've been taught to mix mineral spirits (not oil) with the rustproofing to make it sprayable. Once applied, the mineral spirits evaporate from the coating.

The web site says you can thin the compound with oil to the consistency you want, but then tell you to use pressure (60-80 psi) to get it to spray. I use 40 psi with my compound thinned with mineral spirits. I'm afraid the oil may permanently change the compound viscosity, and cause it to run and thin out. You basically want the compound to remain as viscous as possible in final coating form.

[ December 13, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Kestas ]

Kestas is correct it is made from lanolin. We use it here at work (NSDOT&PW) on our salt trucks and appears to work well. The only drawback and it's not a serious one, at least to me, is the smell. Hard to describe, kinda like a wet sheep I guess :).
It's quite viscous when its sprayed they use an airless sprayer to get proper atomization as it's too thick for regular spray gear. I did try some with an old paint sprayer that I had, not wanting to thin it out I heated it up on an old hotplate which helps, stinks like h**l thou ( try to imagine drying a sheep out on top of the stove, not pleasant ).
The best part is we buy it in 45 gallon drums and we get the dregs from the bottom of the barrell when it's almost empty, so thick you need a paint brush to put it on.
According to the sales lit it helps keep the rubber hoses, lines etc from drying out.....Mike

I converter my sprayer to apply the compound. I thin the compound to a pourable consistency. probably 1:1 compound:thinner. This should be much easier than heating it. In its thin state it can be blasted and seep into all the crevices where it's needed.

I buy mine in Detroit for roughly $40 a pail. This can do 2-5 jobs, depending on how thick you apply it. I apply it as thickly as possible. They sell larger sizes, like 1/4 barrel for $120. That barrel lasted me 10 jobs.

The address on the receipt for Texaco Rustproof Compound L shows:
R.K.A. Consumers, Inc.
13507 Auburn
Detroit, MI 48223

It's interesting than Nova Scotia uses it on their public trucks. Consumers Energy trucks in our area use the Texaco rustproofing.

I checked the pricing and this stuff is way more cost effective than fluid film.
I'm going to try one on the wagon and the other on the minivan and see how they hold up.

thanks for the tip on the product and your dilution methods, BTW.

16L size not available in canada. only 60L @$350. called texaco canada.

I love this country, we get shafted on everything.

In their defense, the prices I quoted are seven years old. It's still cheap, considering the potential damage a car can experience from rust, plus the 60L can do many cars.

quote:

It's interesting than Nova Scotia uses it on their public trucks. Consumers Energy trucks in our area use the Texaco rustproofing.

To the province of Nova Scotia and more than likey all government agencies, it's based on price not performance. Although in this case it appears as if it worked. It seems that until the last few years they're always changings brands not just of rustproofing but of everything. It all boils down to price, whatever's cheaper regardless of how it works is what's bought.
Am I sour.... yep, why? because us poor stiffs that gotta work with some of the crap that's bought see money being wasted. My apologies for the rant and getting of the subject but it get's under my skin whenever I think of it...Mike

(to continue your rant) Let me guess, the people buying the rustproofing are not engineers?... and more importantly, do they track the progress of the product?... or listen to your feedback?

Luckily, this stuff works. The smell is an acquired taste.

quote:

Let me guess, the people buying the rustproofing are not engineers?...

ahhh, spoken like someone that knows exactly what I'm talking about. Actually, I think that is the problem, they are engineers and are out of touch with the real world. All they know or care to comment about or take into consideration is numbers or specs. They, to my knowledge, have never asked the actual end user how it (anything, not just Fluid Film) is performing....nada, nope ain't gonna happen.

quote:

and more importantly, do they track the progress of the product?...

surely you jest?
pat.gif
, they buy it how it works is our problem. A few years back the undercoating guy passed his comments on to purchasing, they went totally opposite his recommendations to save a few bucks, so that isn't gonna happen any more.

quote:

or listen to your feedback?

Used to complain constantly when I first started there 17+ years ago, couldn't believe the blantant waste of money. After consistantly hitting my head against the wall I gave up, brain was getting mushy :).

quote:

The smell is an acquired taste.

Not in my books
thumbsdown.gif
grin.gif
....Mike

I forgot to add that Texaco rustproofing compound was recommended to me by my colleagues (who were corrosion engineers) when I worked at Chrysler. I even had a discussion with an engineer (outside of Chrysler) who manufactured (or distributed) Polyoleum to the shops that used Polygard. He gave me a free sample. I was not impressed by the product.

Where do you guys get Texaco from? or how about Waxoyl? which is better and is there an online place to order from?

Here's a crazy idea I tried that seems to have helped me (though I have not tried any of the said product above and probably don't anywhere near the corrosive abuse)...

I took a 99 cent petroleum wax ring used as a toilet-to-drain pipe seal, dissolve it in some mineral spirits to a consistency that was compatible with my airless sprayer. After application the mineral spirits evaporate leaving the wax to return to it's previous viscosity.

I did a freezer test to see if the wax was not prone to cracking while being bent (0 deg f). It appeared to hold-up.

I'm on my third winter, this time without applying another season coat. I wonder if the wax might be prone to dry-out, leading to stiffening to the point of cracking with movement of unibody panels - adding a small quantity of oil to the mix might help next time around.

This thread is a great example of why I like this board. Some product that I have no idea what it is comes up, and yet there are numerous responses from people who actually have used the stuff. So much better than just opinions from people who often know less than I do about the subject.

2003TRD
I'm in toronto and I just called the texaco office here and asked them for a distributor list.

I love this country, we get shafted on everything.

You've got to pay for your cheap XD-3 synths somehow
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back