Esso XD-3 1,000,000 mile tear down video

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

I ordered the CD of the 1,000,000 mile engine teardown from Esso. Watched it today, but didn't know what to think because I have nothing to bench it against.

Wayne

I just put in the XD-3 0w30 in my 04 6.0 PSD. Ran a 15w40 all summer long. Right away I noticed easier start ups and the truck just runs better when cold. Also not sure if this is due to the change of oil period but my fuel economy looks better so far too. Let's hope this oil doesn't shear down a lot like other oils do in this engine. UOA in about 8-10 weeks.

Real nice video of an engine teardown,
reminds me of the Amsoil's truck engine 600,000 mile
and later videos for Haywood Gray's semi,
in the Esso video, I did not hear what the OCI's were for the engine, what are typical OCI's for Detroit Diesel engines?
I know that Haywood's engine had 100,000 miles OCI's for the first video and longer for the 2nd video.

quick lude.I also just changed to xd-3 this my second tank and the milage does seem a little better,if you hadn't reported same I would've dismissed it.hoping it cures the romping first few miles on cold mornings.(mine is a 7.3)lets hope it doen't shear to quick.

Nice video! That pretty darn good for a conventional oil. If I'am fortunate enough to own my own big rig some day I'am gonna run AMSOIL in it. AMSOIL's video is really eye opening. Very, very minimal wear on the MACK engine. We use a junk recycled oil at work in the dumptrucks. It's called UNITED COOP, it is made by Farmland Industries. The oil analysis on all our used oil comes back with marginal results after only 6,000 miles on it. The worst is the TBN around 5.0 after 6,000 miles. We used EXXON for one change and came back with way better metal wear results, wish we would have stuck with it.

quote:

Originally posted by hone eagle:
quick lude.I also just changed to xd-3 this my second tank and the milage does seem a little better,if you hadn't reported same I would've dismissed it.hoping it cures the romping first few miles on cold mornings.(mine is a 7.3)lets hope it doen't shear to quick.

I haven't filled up yet since switching but it does seem a little better on the gauge. I have suspicion that the 6.0 likes a lower 30 weight oil, a 10w30 is recommended by Ford unless heavy towing/hauling. The xd3 is a thick 30 anyway so I'm hoping it is a happy medium. UOA will tell soon.
smile.gif
I've only had minor romps with the XD-3 0w40, go figure, otherwise no romps with 15w40 dino or 0w30 yet.

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:
I didn't see any micrometer measurements taken to compare specs with new. I wonder why they choose cleanliness over tolerances?

You'll probably have a good amount of wear after 1,000,000 miles no matter what oil you choose. The wear numbers probably look pretty out of spec, even though they may be very good for that many miles. Maybe they just don't want people to say "Wow, that's way out of spec!" and ignore how many miles are on the engine, so they decided to brag about cleanliness instead.

Quick Lude, be interesting to see your 0-30 XD3 analysis to compare against the previous 0-40 XD3 analysis posting on your diesel. I have read theorys in here on the 5-20 oil forums that lower starting oil weights may be better than higher weighted oils that shear down to dangerous washed out levels. Your 0-30 analysis will be good schooling on that theory or observation, looking forward to the comparison of the two XD3 oil weights oils on your diesel.

Cyprs

I can definitely report better fuel economy so far, 16.9L from 17.9L, same driving conditions except the weather was a little warmer. We'll see what happens once the temp dips to below 0 Deg C consistantly. Even if I gain 1L/100km in fuel economy by using the 0w30, for me that will equal to a savings of about 8-10L per week or $5.60-7.00 per week since I drive about 800-1000km per week, hence the usage of synthetic is paying for itself. Now I just hope that the oil holds up, my latest analysis I just posted of Castrol RX 15w40 doesn't look so good.
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
I can definitely report better fuel economy so far, 16.9L from 17.9L, same driving conditions except the weather was a little warmer. We'll see what happens once the temp dips to below 0 Deg C consistantly. Even if I gain 1L/100km in fuel economy by using the 0w30, for me that will equal to a savings of about 8-10L per week or $5.60-7.00 per week since I drive about 800-1000km per week, hence the usage of synthetic is paying for itself. Now I just hope that the oil holds up, my latest analysis I just posted of Castrol RX 15w40 doesn't look so good.
banghead.gif

What oil and viscosity were you comparing to, and in what engine? As the temperature gets colder, things should look even better for the XD-3 compared to the 'other' oils.

I changed from motorcraft(free dealer changes ran out) to XD-3 0-40 2 weeks ago and got 880 kms on 100 liters , best ever before the esso was 824 and 813 kms normaly just under 800,could be an anomaly its just one tank ,but with winter blend I would of been happy if it stayed the same.maybe my last years poor fuel usage was because of the 15-40.this is a 7.3 PSD which uses engine oil to fire the injectors

For those that have been finding a broken link to the video, here is the link with the new IP address of my server.

Wayne

Ordered the video a week ago and got it to-day,that was quick!Interesting to say the least and it's free for the asking.Anyone on this site would be interested to see this.I switched to the Esso XD-3 0W-40 full PAO synthetic in my Jeeps two 4.0L engines after my supply of Delvac 1 went sour...they run great on the stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back