EPA to roll back Obama-era fuel economy standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Your teacher telling you the best thing about the Constitution (capitalized) is the ability to change is just feeding propaganda. Inalienable rights are exactly that. They exist no matter what.

This rollback takes the pressure off of auto manufacturers. Setting high limits with short deadlines rushes the automakers to push cars out taking shortcuts. I’m all for energy conservation, not for just breathable air but to keep some money in my wallet. The EPA pendulum swung too far and gave them too much power.

Technically there have been 12 amendments to the constitution since 1913 although the last one was in 1992. So basically there's been no changes for the last 25 years.

The whole tougher CAFE numbers kinda kicked in during the financial crisis when the auto makers were getting bailed out so they weren't in a very good negotiating position when it went through. They don't have to rush or take shortcuts, they just have to adjust the mix of vehicles they sell. Which means they'd have to limit the trucks and SUVs they sell and they'd have to push small cars with great gas mileage hard and even take a loss on them in order to sell more trucks and SUVs. That's the whole point of having a fleet average. Lots of ways to play around to get to that average number.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Your teacher telling you the best thing about the Constitution (capitalized) is the ability to change is just feeding propaganda. Inalienable rights are exactly that. They exist no matter what.

This rollback takes the pressure off of auto manufacturers. Setting high limits with short deadlines rushes the automakers to push cars out taking shortcuts. I’m all for energy conservation, not for just breathable air but to keep some money in my wallet. The EPA pendulum swung too far and gave them too much power.

Technically there have been 12 amendments to the constitution since 1913 although the last one was in 1992. So basically there's been no changes for the last 25 years.

The whole tougher CAFE numbers kinda kicked in during the financial crisis when the auto makers were getting bailed out so they weren't in a very good negotiating position when it went through. They don't have to rush or take shortcuts, they just have to adjust the mix of vehicles they sell. Which means they'd have to limit the trucks and SUVs they sell and they'd have to push small cars with great gas mileage hard and even take a loss on them in order to sell more trucks and SUVs. That's the whole point of having a fleet average. Lots of ways to play around to get to that average number.
I think I heard the eagle squawk while reading The Constitution rant(I did not know it was supposed to be capitalized)...lol.but That 1000 lb car is less than 3/5 the avg Texan car...
Yeah it is all about the Avg mpg that really makes the environmental impact. The goal of the rule is to push the avg mpg for all cars on the road higher.
Rather to eliminate every gas guzzling car.

Maybe you should figure who your buddy is and ask him to conserve fuel too...lol.... And also get that Champion to fly with "regular" people on a commercial airline.

And yeah how about you drive to 1000 lb car with that supposed "oil" you put in your other vehicle. Try that out and again and repost your "findings".

Has far as those SUVs, CUVs and trucks... I am no fan of any of them either. Those are just glorified station wagon in almost any instance
I have not owned anything like them. I do agree that those do use a fair amount more gas than other vehicles. But try getting the people in this country to purchase way smaller vehicles.. At this time it will not happen.

My wonderful little grandson has just turned two. When he's my age, it will be 2078. He could conceivably be alive at the turn of the next millennium.

Global warming & climate change probably won't bother me that much. The fact is that in the next 10 to 20 years I'll be dead. But it will impact on my grandson...A LOT! Less food being available for him to eat is likely as great swaythes of marginal agricultural land turns to desert. And there's the mass migrations that will follow on from water shortages (China in particular). No doubt wars will follow and that will make a bad situation even worse. That's not a future we should be bequeathing to any child.

So while you're all patting yourselves on the back on the rolling back of CAFE and the brilliant triumph of red in tooth and claw free markets over pesky government controls, maybe you could spare a moment's thought for the sorry souls that come after you and who's lives will be blighted by the cumulative effects of your selfish prejudices.

Oh, and before the onslaught of comments telling me in great detail why I'm so ABSOLUTELY wrong, can I just point out that free markets have a horrible habit of 'getting things wrong', or have we all conveniently forgotten what happened in 2008 already?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
If the consumer wanted high MPG vehicles, they would buy them. There would be no need for such a regulation if that's what people wanted.

Sorry, that kind of argument can be applied to anything. Like if we wanted a crime free world, humans wouldn't commit crimes, but they still do. "People" are incredibly stupid and emotional, that requires people who are smart enough to be the ones to make decisions. There isn't anything authoritarian about this, nothing is stopping anyone from being educated to make those decisions. If the government gets a group of scientists together and their conclusion is that X needs to be done and explains the reason why, I'll give them more credit than Joe Blow who doesn't like regulation because everything is fake news, sorry.

Regulation is necessary, it should be in moderation and it should drive us toward the greater good. I bet nobody wanted to talk about the awful EPA and government interference when it came to phasing out leaded gasoline. If the EPA wants to regulate fuel mileage to decrease pollution and reduce energy dependence, I'm not complaining. Some brands are doing things I don't like to eek out every last MPG and some brands are.

When governments don't regulate, you get GM "innovating" with leaded gasoline. I'd rather get the Mazda's of the world innovating with compression ignition and new SkyActiv technologies. I'm not convinced we'd get new, cleaner tech if companies weren't forced to try.

Quote:
He found a couple of additives that did work, however, and lead was just one of them. Iodine worked, but producing it was much too complicated. Ethyl alcohol also worked, and it was cheap–however, anyone with an ordinary still could make it, which meant that GM could not patent it or profit from it. Thus, from a corporate point of view, lead was the best anti-knock additive there was.

In February 1923, a Dayton filling station sold the first tankful of leaded gasoline. A few GM engineers witnessed this big moment, but Midgeley did not, because he was in bed with severe lead poisoning. He recovered; however, in April 1924, lead poisoning killed two of his unluckier colleagues, and in October, five workers at a Standard Oil lead plant died too, after what one reporter called “wrenching fits of violent insanity.” (Almost 40 of the plant’s workers suffered severe neurological symptoms like hallucinations and seizures.)

Still, for decades auto and oil companies denied that lead posed any health risks. Finally, in the 1970s, the Environmental Protection Agency required that carmakers phase out lead-compatible engines in the cars they sold in the United States. Today, leaded gasoline is still in use in some parts of Eastern Europe, South America and the Middle East.

Yeah...it's a pity the EPA wanted to burden American companies from making a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
My wonderful little grandson has just turned two. When he's my age, it will be 2078. He could conceivably be alive at the turn of the next millennium.

Global warming & climate change probably won't bother me that much. The fact is that in the next 10 to 20 years I'll be dead. But it will impact on my grandson...A LOT! Less food being available for him to eat is likely as great swaythes of marginal agricultural land turns to desert. And there's the mass migrations that will follow on from water shortages (China in particular). No doubt wars will follow and that will make a bad situation even worse. That's not a future we should be bequeathing to any child.

So while you're all patting yourselves on the back on the rolling back of CAFE and the brilliant triumph of red in tooth and claw free markets over pesky government controls, maybe you could spare a moment's thought for the sorry souls that come after you and who's lives will be blighted by the cumulative effects of your selfish prejudices.

Oh, and before the onslaught of comments telling me in great detail why I'm so ABSOLUTELY wrong, can I just point out that free markets have a horrible habit of 'getting things wrong', or have we all conveniently forgotten what happened in 2008 already?

There will always be those who object to any emissions in the USA while finding huge emissions acceptable in areas where the local populace fit within the envelope of a European term that rhymes with "logs".

Here's emissions from the Caribbean providing goods for the West. Check out yhe haze of SOX & NOX being co-emitted with the CO2 while burning homemade heavy fuel oil that creates more carbon emissions than natural gas.

ISLA REFINERY LINK

While the offshored large emitters get larger

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloombe...eight-years.amp

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/...l-Refinery.html

And a highly regulated government / society ramps up rural production of coal gas to address urban pollution seen by world travellers at the expense of traditional rural life and behind the curtain global emissions, shuffled for political reasons.

https://www.platts.com/news-feature/2014...als-completions

http://www.theenergycollective.com/geoff...tural-gas-china

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/8f34570c-de84-11e7-a8a4-0a1e63a52f9c

Some storm clouds dwarf others

Last edited:
I agree with others that have said the current CAFE avg fleet goals are too high over a short period of time. They need to be cut back to a reasonable goal over a reasonable time frame, but not go backwards as it's good to continuously improve auto efficiency IMO.

One thing I see happening here is the state is crying because they claim they aren't getting enough revenue from gasoline sales as vehicle fuel mileage goes up, and they keep jacking up the gas taxes, start tolling more and more roads, and have even now started a study to investigate possibly charging a tax for every mile you drive a car. They claim as the number of hybrid and electrical vehicles increase, their revenue for roads keeps decreasing. I say to them, then why not start charging hybrid and electric cars a "miles driven tax" then? It's all a gigantic linked system that become more convoluted and complicate as time goes on ... nothing seems to get simplified anymore it seems.

If the consumer wanted high MPG vehicles, they would buy them. There would be no need for such a regulation if that's what people wanted.

If people wanted "any car" the high-MPG ones are subsidized when there's a CAFE target to meet. EG the newspaper-special $12995 Ford Focus.

It was not that long ago when gas was $4+ and people on this board were looking to ban speculation on oil futures because there's no way fuel should "naturally be that expensive". If we could suddenly cut the legs of demand out from under the market, those speculators would lose a fortune. And we did, and they did.

Like I always say follow the money trail to the truth. Sometimes it takes a lot of digging with the smoke and mirrors they throw up to throw you off the path like carbon credit schemes, Government research grants, the ability to sell credits between companies that are already favored by the amount of lobbying they did (read how many pockets got lined) so on and so on.

Its nice to think its about pollution or saving fuel but in reality its many billions of dollars getting shuffled around with a lot of hungry fat hogs waiting at the trough.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Like I always say follow the money trail to the truth. Sometimes it takes a lot of digging with the smoke and mirrors they throw up to throw you off the path like carbon credit schemes, Government research grants, the ability to sell credits between companies that are already favored by the amount of lobbying they did (read how many pockets got lined) so on and so on.

Its nice to think its about pollution or saving fuel but in reality its many billions of dollars getting shuffled around with a lot of hungry fat hogs waiting at the trough.

49.gif

Good reminder of a couple well known hypocrites …

Chevy needs to bring back the Avalanche and Jeep needs to bring back the Commander. Same can probably be said about the Toyota FJ Cruiser. All 3 were basically existing platforms with different bodies. 1500, Grand Cherokee and 4Runner.

Hacking those automatically boosted the fleet's average fuel economy as these vehicles were doomed from the beginning.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Cool. Now get rid of ethanol in gasoline.
Just get government out if it.

Agreed, let the free market decide. Even moving from corn to Switchgrass to make ethanol should follow a market based approach as well.

One option on the EPA thing is to just push out the date by several years and don't change the actual standard to meet/beat. Those car makers that want to meet the standard early can advertise their cars that way as a selling point. Nissan did that with their "PureDrive" moniker for a few years.

IMHO: On a side note, I wish every car maker would make their car E85 compatible but be able to sense any level between E0 to E85 and adjust their ECU to get maximum power/efficiency out of whatever fuel (or mode is selected) is used (including all octane levels of said fuel). Then the customer can decide what fuel they want to use and get the most out of it.

I'm okay with higher fuel economy standards. I'm sure we will run out of oil some day. But the ridiculous limits on NOX are making that nearly impossible. If the EPA would back off on that , we could get back to ultra lean burn.

In regards to ethanol in the gas, I vote with my wallet. All three gas stations in my town sell ethanol free 91. I have no problem buying it.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

Sorry, that kind of argument can be applied to anything. Like if we wanted a crime free world, humans wouldn't commit crimes, but they still do. "People" are incredibly stupid and emotional, that requires people who are smart enough to be the ones to make decisions. There isn't anything authoritarian about this, nothing is stopping anyone from being educated to make those decisions. If the government gets a group of scientists together and their conclusion is that X needs to be done and explains the reason why, I'll give them more credit than Joe Blow who doesn't like regulation because everything is fake news, sorry.

And people should be free to be as stupid as they wish to be. And people should not be expected to mitigate the consequences they face by spreading them around to others.

If you fail to finish high school because you make bad choices shouldn't entitle one to a lifetime of government handouts.

People both left and right cite "the greater good" but fail to tell you that it's THEIR vision of the greater good that must be followed and all others are stupid, dangerous, or however they would judge it.

The right said banning same sex marriage was for the greater good. The left says banning so-called assault weapons is for the greater good as they see it.

In a free nation, one doesn't get to apply the greater good standard to impose values on others.

Sure, people are stupid. So what? We are a free people and if we want to be stupid, as long as we are not harming another, we should be free to be as stupid as our time, talent and treasure allow.

But, we are also responsible for any harm we cause. We are not allowed to shift the consequences of our choices to others.

Your comparison to crime makes no sense. If we wanted a crime free world, I wouldn't commit crimes to do that. But I cannot choose how another acts. And in a free society, why should I? But, if someone steals from me, and I prove it, there should be compensation. I should be made whole.

It's up to the scientists you mention to make a credible case and CONVINCE people to choose to act. It shouldn't be mandated.

If you want people to remain dumb, just have government mandate and sheeple follow. If you want to address the dumb people, start making the case for smarter action and stop shifting the consequences of stupidity to others.

That might mean the costs of fuel rise to address the costs of the military that secures the world so that peaceful trade exists.

I think that's a far more rational and fair means of addressing the issue than merely setting some arbitrary standard and saying because it's for the greater good, we should do it.

And let people decide for themselves if they want to keep driving something that gets 10MPG or drive 30 miles one-way to go out to dinner, or whatever they choose.

The answer will be different for everybody, which is preferable to one answer from DC.

Regulation isn't a pancea. It can distort markets and freeze out smaller players who can't afford the regulatory burden. Large corporations like regulation because they are better equipped to deal with it compared to small upstarts.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

Regulation is necessary, it should be in moderation and it should drive us toward the greater good. I bet nobody wanted to talk about the awful EPA and government interference when it came to phasing out leaded gasoline. If the EPA wants to regulate fuel mileage to decrease pollution and reduce energy dependence, I'm not complaining. Some brands are doing things I don't like to eek out every last MPG and some brands are.

When governments don't regulate, you get GM "innovating" with leaded gasoline. I'd rather get the Mazda's of the world innovating with compression ignition and new SkyActiv technologies. I'm not convinced we'd get new, cleaner tech if companies weren't forced to try.

Quote:
He found a couple of additives that did work, however, and lead was just one of them. Iodine worked, but producing it was much too complicated. Ethyl alcohol also worked, and it was cheap–however, anyone with an ordinary still could make it, which meant that GM could not patent it or profit from it. Thus, from a corporate point of view, lead was the best anti-knock additive there was.

In February 1923, a Dayton filling station sold the first tankful of leaded gasoline. A few GM engineers witnessed this big moment, but Midgeley did not, because he was in bed with severe lead poisoning. He recovered; however, in April 1924, lead poisoning killed two of his unluckier colleagues, and in October, five workers at a Standard Oil lead plant died too, after what one reporter called “wrenching fits of violent insanity.” (Almost 40 of the plant’s workers suffered severe neurological symptoms like hallucinations and seizures.)

Still, for decades auto and oil companies denied that lead posed any health risks. Finally, in the 1970s, the Environmental Protection Agency required that carmakers phase out lead-compatible engines in the cars they sold in the United States. Today, leaded gasoline is still in use in some parts of Eastern Europe, South America and the Middle East.

Yeah...it's a pity the EPA wanted to burden American companies from making a lot of money.

I could write more, but I have to go to work so that I can pay 37% in combined marginal income and payroll taxes at the state and federal level. Perhaps I could get some relief from this outsized burden and I might be more amenable to a government that claims to be working for my "greater good." Right now, it seems I'm being worked for someone else's vision of the greater good.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm okay with higher fuel economy standards. I'm sure we will run out of oil some day. But the ridiculous limits on NOX are making that nearly impossible. If the EPA would back off on that , we could get back to ultra lean burn.

NOx is an issue in the Los Angeles valley b/c it hangs around, endures a chemical reaction, and makes smog. With modern tech a car should be able to know via GPS when it's in L.A. and adjust its outputs to match. It could even go so far as to "know" via cell network or radio subcarrier when there's a particularly bad batch of weather and be "extra good" that day. CO2/CAFE is more of a long-term, big-picture issue which could be partially addressed with lean running in wide-open spaces.

SonoofJoe. 2008 was hardly a "free market" failure. Federal reserve allowed/approved unsound bank lending practices and banks innovated investments that ultimately caused major issues when they failed. Government causes these problems then creates new laws to fix, etc., etc. Then taxpayers bailout companies and no one learns their lession...hardly free markets. At least in free market situations poor companies don't survive to live another day to make more poor decisions. We have a crony capitalist system. I unfortunately lived through this on the front lines...you learn quickly don't fight the Fed or the system investment wise but get out before it comes crashing down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave 125

Sorry but your reasoning is dependent on Government regulation not demand or ingenuity. Efficiency will improve and the most sought after vehicles in China are Suv's so American companies are looking to make our best sellers more efficent. Government is not the catalyst for improvment.

If the Government demands it then you have your demand. This will also cause ingenuity to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back