Engine wear during extended Idling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: puliukk0
I think idle is least stressing to motor.

I agree. It's startups and high RPM under load with cold oil that causes the most wear.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I have always wondered how gasoline cars fair long-term with substantial idling. I have noticed some people idle their cars for at least 20-30 minutes (assuming every day...as I pick up my son 2 days a week) while they wait to pick up their children from school. Even when on the hot side, I put my sun shade up and roll down my windows...I refuse to idle my car for that long. Over time, does excessive idling cause any additional strain on certain engine components or am I incorrect in my anti-idling bias? Thanks.
I always wonder where some of these types of ideas come from.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'd contribute, but I'm trying to avoid idle chit chat.
I have some idle time, so what do you think of:

Eric Idle vs John Cleese?

which one is more wearing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Police cars, ambulance, taxis, idle for hours and hours at a time. Engine could care less.

When I worked at a prison years ago, the perimeter security cars were driven/idled 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. They would rack up 200K, 300K miles, with INCREDIBLE idle time. And they only changed the oil very occasionally with bulk 15W40.

This is the exact way our service vans are operated. Some days they run as long as 20 hours if two shifts use the truck. We simply do not shut them off unless we are going to be stopped for more than 20 to 30 minutes.

They routinely run to ridiculous mileages...

Dumb question - but do you just fill them with a 5 gallon gas can while they are idling for 20 hours?

I know some guys how have purchased used Police Caprices. They have 6000 to 8000 hours of idle time.

Mine has 200. The Caprice has an oil cooler. The G8 does not. Let me add the "cooler" is more of a regulator/warmer/cooler depending on what the car is doing.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'd contribute, but I'm trying to avoid idle chit chat.
I have some idle time, so what do you think of:

Eric Idle vs John Cleese?

which one is more wearing?

Hahahaha!

I’ve owned my truck for 17 years now and for that entire span of time I’ve regularly idled it in the winter and summer with no issues at all. Usually 5-10 minutes in winter to warm it up. If it’s really cold and my time inside wherever I’m going is under five minutes I’ll lock it and leave it running for a warm cabin when I get back in. Same in the summer, lock it and leave the a/c on if I’m loading something or just running in for a couple of minutes. I’ve never had any issue with this although I do maintenance everything regularly and keep it in good working order. (Cooling system, hoses etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back