Engine degreaser o-ring chain safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AVB
I don't think there is too much risk of WD40 getting past the o-rings unless they are damaged, or you sprayed it with high pressure. Those o-rings are sandwiched in there pretty dang tight.

If the chain is new, yeah. But as a chain wears and orings too, the chain is not as tight in oring areas over time. (ive actually freed frozen links with wd40), with no visable damage to the rings, it went right past them).. Condensation, is very bad on internal grease also. Metal is conductive, and very very easy for moisture to condense inside the chain.

If its worn enough for wd-40 to get in there, then even kerosine and gasoline is going to get in there and thin out the grease. I live on a long gravel drive, my chain is always dirty. I wipe it down and i use very little lube as lube holds dirt. So far so good. Oring chains hold up on dirt bikes so instead of devoting a lot of time on the chain, i'll just replace it when necessary.

My opinion is that if it is worn that bad then it doesn't matter. At that point just clean and lube it or replace it, whatever makes you happy.

I just love dry Teflon spray. Apply, let it dry and the dust doesn't stick to it like regular chain lubes.

Anyone tried Motul Chain Clean spray? I used it yesterday for the first time... seems to have done a decent job and not very messy. Still needed to agitate the chain with a grunge brush and then wipe off with a rag to get rid of whatever goop the dealer put on the chain last time.

0000-Motul-Chain-Clean.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Doing some searches, it seems people are divided on whether engine degreasers are or are not o-ring chain safe. Is there any evidence to support one side or the other

orings are made of a special rubber, it should be "viton"... it's very resistant to everything, but it's best to avoid strong thinners like xilene (carb cleaner), or strong soaps like degreasers or dish soap, or alcohol... these things may swell the rubber, or dry it until it breaks. Best thing to use is diesel fuel, or kerosene... the one you find at cheaper price.
By the way, diesel fuel is very good even to wash the engine and the rear wheel... just keep it away from the brakes! :)

best,

DH

Basically I'd shy away from the use of de-greasers unless specified that they are O-ring compatible. Even though they are abundant and inexpensive, unless it is O-ring safe the risk of early replacement of your chain is relatively expensive and time consuming for saving a few bucks on a chain cleaner.

As DHarry said, if you're looking for the cheapest/effective chain cleaner it's definitely kerosene. Light petroleum distillates tend to have drying effects and are more harsh on rubber, i.e, gasoline, mineral spirits, naptha, and xylene, along with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) that is less toxic, self evaporating, and a strong de-greaser to boot; although they are fantastic de-greasers and commonly found in fuel injection cleaners. Medium petroleum distillates on the other hand (kerosene and diesel) have a higher lubricity (oil content) that not only cleans and lubricates, but doesn't have the severe drying effect. While diesel is a medium distillate, I'd still stick with kerosene since every major manufacturer recommends its use for an inexpensive/effective chain cleaner.

FYI, that Motul stuff says it's o-ring safe. It actually sprays, feels, smells very similar to WD40... hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back