Engine Damage from Starting Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Oh my, I have never seen this guy's videos before... he's great! He cooked bacon in a crankcase using veg. oil!

Why?

Lemme guess

"Can you cook bacon in a crankcase using veg. oil? Lets find out!"

NO

Let's not bother.

Because its a stupid and pointless thing to do.

Irrationally angry much?

Not really. Just irritated. One is supposed to be irritated by stupid and pointless things.

That's why they are called "stupid and pointless", and not "great"

Oh my, I have never seen this guy's videos before... he's great! He cooked bacon in a crankcase using veg. oil!

Why?

Lemme guess

NO

Let's not bother.

Irrationally angry much?

Not really. Just irritated. One is supposed to be irritated by stupid and pointless things.

Nope. I'd be angry.

Who, tell me, who, in their right mind, would waste bacon like that? Bacon of all things????? Disgraceful!

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
OPE engines are low compression and low
performance. Situation might be different for
a high compression/high output modern engine.

My 2¢

This.

OPE using starting fluid really isn't a problem, unless you use half the can. Using it in a modern car or diesel engine is another story.

Why?

Lemme guess

NO

Let's not bother.

Irrationally angry much?

Man, if that gets you irritated, I'd hate to see what a normal day of life's events does to you...

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Nope. I'd be angry.

Who, tell me, who, in their right mind, would waste bacon like that? Bacon of all things????? Disgraceful!

The part of me that looks for the positive hopes it was bacon gone bad, past its expiration date or something. Cooked, but not eaten by man or beast....

Don't use starting fluid on 2-strokes. Bad juju. Quite a few folks have lost an motor that way. Washes the thin oil film off and bingo, sieze-o
frown.gif

If the carb is not picking up fuel, some pre-mix dribbled in is OK. Just no starting fluid ...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have always used gasoline in a spray bottle where possible instead of starting fluid.

You're asking for trouble Stevie. The plastic used in most spray bottles (and their sprayer parts/mechanism) is not compatible with gasoline and will dissolve (just like gasoline dissolves milk bottles). When the gasoline burns away it deposits the plastic (which doesn't burn) inside the carb, fuel injection, and engine. I have seen several engines damaged (and even destroyed) by this over the years, OPE and automotive. This is another reason why gasoline should NEVER be stored, transferred, or used from anything other than an approved gasoline can/container.
Just use spray carb cleaner. Most people have a can of it around anyway, or should.
In the old days we used to use WD40 when it used propane as it's propellant. It was an ideal starting fluid. No more, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back