eng. detail;

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some detailing web sites I've read and seen pictures of guys spraying down the whole engine and components with WD-40, then wiping any excess. The pictures I've seen look excellent. Especially on modern engines with lots of plastic under the hood.

I've tried this a little, but I just don't have the patience for it!

WD-40.

Not willing to experiment due to the first thought that burst within my feeble mind with the force of a 25-megaton thermonuclear detonating 1-mile above the center of a metropolitan area: wouldn't the applied chemical concoction attract dust? What would be the ramifications if said solution entered an electrical or electronic device? Are there any components that could be harmed? How would rubber or plastic compounds react to the WD-40? So many questions but I am just too too lazy to seek the answers elsewhere on the InterWeb and, even then, should I accidently stumble upon the supposed answer(s) I would not necessarilly believe the proferred information.

Very hard to find but worth the look is the CD2 2 can product. One can is engine cleaner and the other can is engine detailer. Follow the instructions and you will get the engine compartment that you have wasted your time and money for years hoping to get.

I like to keep my engine compartment clean, but, alway hated the thought of screwing up the electrical system with water or whatever. So I meticulously start wiping with little cleaning wipes and whatever cleaner seems to be appropriate for the material being cleaned. It really is a lot of trouble with such tight spaces. Then I see someone at the carwash drive off after pressure washing their engine.
shocked.gif

i ususally use simple green but i dont cover anything, but i try not to flood the distribitor cuase then id have to let it sit for 20 minutes so that it wont stall out.

but i spray everything down but i try not to get simple green on the header and like hot parts cauyse it dries very quickly.

but i do leave the engine running regardless of what anyone says lol...

i pressure wash my engine usually.

Gunk Citrus Engine Detailer is good stuff.

I just started using 50/50 Simple Green-H2O and throughly soak then engine compartment, (with elect stuff covered), let soak, then wipe everything down with a rag and hose off.

Then spray GCED everywhere, let sit for 30 minutes, then drive the car.

Looks great with out the greasy dust collecting residue other products leave behind.

I've been told by various mechanics that a pressure wash is ok with the car running. As long as you don't put the pressure head too close to anything, you won't force water where it isn't supposed to go. And as long as you clean it regularly, you can still keep it really clean even with just plain water.

If you think about it, your engine is constantly being sprayed with water whenever you drive in the rain.

It gets sprayed in the rain from the bottom though, no the top where all of the electronics and spark plugs are.

If it werent, we would have soggy air filters during rain storms.

I cover the alternator and battery and detial those by hand I hose the rest down after spraying it with Engine cleaner

Islandvic, some engines allow heavy spray from the bottom and through the grill. Maybe your car not as much - that's probably a good thing.

I'm not saying that it's good do douse your engine with a garden hose. Hitting it from 8-10" inches at the self-clean is perfectly fine though.

Be wary of the alternator and battery like Gotrek said, and you will be quite alright. I've pressure sprayed my cars dozens of times to keep the engines clean. Obviously that wouldn't work if there were lots of grime on 'em.

i get the engine slightly warm, then spray it down with water. a little simple green (cut with water), then let it sit. rinse it, then wipe it down with a terry cloth that has some waud on it.

only do it once or twice a year, and everything looks pretty good. it's funny to hear the techs at the dealership when they open the hood.

i use tire cleaner/ shine on the rubber and plastic parts. last a couple of weeks and makes it so dust just sprays off w/ water

well, now that i've uglified my engine, i'll tell you what not to do.

if you go up a post or two, you'll see that i said "warm" engine?!

too warm; spotted everything up. badly. white funk all over my block.

let your engine cool. or be cold. not hot, or warm, or tepid.

I usually wait untill my engine is cold, and go at it. I don't cover anything, but am real careful around the electrics. On my current vehicle (99 Rodeo) I got it last year and the engine area was filthy. I am still in the process of cleaning it. The actual engine was black, now it is shiney and silver.

"Then I see someone at the carwash drive off after pressure washing their engine."

give it a try, been doing it for 30+ years and got nothing more than some steam. Use the low pressure setting and don't carried away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back