End of the World. Whataburger sold to investment bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
You can be sure there will be changes! No "investment" company will be happy with a steady stream of profit. They want returns.

There is one chain out there that needs changes, Pizza Hut.

I've noticed all pizza places have gotten nasty. Frozen ones at the grocery store are now much better. You have to find a mom and pop pizza place to get a good pizza.

In my experience,everything that goes corporate ends up going completely downhill and gets cheapened out,but more expensive.

You can be sure there will be changes! No "investment" company will be happy with a steady stream of profit. They want returns.

I love these greedy dopes....they ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS kill the goose that lays the Golden Egg, it NEVER fails, and they never learn.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I've noticed all pizza places have gotten nasty. Frozen ones at the grocery store are now much better. You have to find a mom and pop pizza place to get a good pizza.

In my experience,everything that goes corporate ends up going completely downhill and gets cheapened out,but more expensive.

Pizza Hut went the way of the big corporate entity a long time ago. They are part of Yum Brands.

Besides Pizza Hut, Yum owns KFC, Taco Bell, and a few other names. That's why you will usually see those stores located very close to each other.

Unfortunately once a company gets absorbed into a entity like that it usually changes, and not for the better. Peet's coffee used to be a favorite of mine. No longer. It's not the same.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by PimTac
BDT is the new owner. They also own majority shares of Panera Bread, Peets Coffee, Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts among others.

They've ruined Dunkin Donuts!

Worst thing they did was to make the donuts at a central location ...the quality of the donuts are horrible now, they taste stale, and they are as expensive as heck.
Good think they removed the "donuts" from the name.

It's been a long time since I've been to a DD but I would agree. All the donut places are copying the Krispy Kreme model, selling air with icing.

Give me a good cake doughnut any day along with coffee. That is, back when I could eat such things. Those days are gone.

I love these greedy dopes....they ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS kill the goose that lays the Golden Egg, it NEVER fails, and they never learn.

I don't think you realize how they really work. Once they acquire the company, the load it up with debt. That debt is their profit which they walk away with at the beginning of ownership. Then there's very little money left to maintain the chain and quality goes downhill and then they eventually go under and whoever is holding the debt loses out. But they made out when they sold the debt. The buyers of the debt know it too, but that's why they pay higher interest rates and they just hope that they can hold on til they actually go under.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I don't think you realize how they really work. Once they acquire the company, the load it up with debt. That debt is their profit which they walk away with at the beginning of ownership. Then there's very little money left to maintain the chain and quality goes downhill and then they eventually go under and whoever is holding the debt loses out. But they made out when they sold the debt. The buyers of the debt know it too, but that's why they pay higher interest rates and they just hope that they can hold on til they actually go under.

I do understand that, I was speaking in the greater aspect of things...these parasites will eventually kill off all the valuable hosts and then what will they do?
Finally the parasite will die? I hope so.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Pizza Hut went the way of the big corporate entity a long time ago. They are part of Yum Brands.

Besides Pizza Hut, Yum owns KFC, Taco Bell, and a few other names. That's why you will usually see those stores located very close to each other.

Unfortunately once a company gets absorbed into a entity like that it usually changes, and not for the better. Peet's coffee used to be a favorite of mine. No longer. It's not the same.

I absolutely loved Peet's!! This was back when they were a local Dallas coffee co. I had no idea they got bought out. I quit buying it because all the stores who carried it no longer sold it.

I use a few products that are smaller by brand but bought/owned by massive corporate entity.

I use Burt Bees products and also Tom's of Maine. I know Tom's is still mostly locally produced however Colgate-Palmolive owns both brands.

I do understand that, I was speaking in the greater aspect of things...these parasites will eventually kill off all the valuable hosts and then what will they do?
Finally the parasite will die? I hope so.

They're deals that they look for and execute on. They're always out there waiting for good looking deals to come along. When there aren't any, they just wait for the next one. The parasites won't die. They just won't do the deal if they can't make a boatload of money on it. Basically you find a company that appears to be cheap relative to stock price, buy it, then load it up with debt which is your profit and then walk away, even before it blows up. They only answer to shareholders, not customers and they are the shareholders. Nothing wrong or illegal with what they're doing.

AC1DD said:
Nothing wrong or illegal with what they're doing.

UNethical? Absolutely.

I always hope that these folks behind these investment firms die a painful death.

Last edited:
AC1DD said:
Nothing wrong or illegal with what they're doing.

UNethical? Absolutely.

I always hope that these folks behind these investment firms die a painful death.

Depends how they kid themselves in the morning and their real intent. After cashing out early, it's possible for them to turn it around, but if they can't then they've already made their money. If they can turn it around, they will end up making even more money. Not everyone bats 1000 and not everything goes according to plan. It's hard to know the future and easy to make claims when you know the end result.

I prefer the green chili cheeseburger at The Mine Shaft in Madrid,New Mexico. Or the same offering from Blakes Lottaburger which are all over Albuquerque.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Yes everything is better in texas. Give me a patty melt, with fries, and a side of spicy ketchup.
Not the guys with the big belt buckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back