electric cars

Question for pezzy84 and other EV owners who would like to chime in. Did you research the repairability of your vehicle batteries before the purchase? Back so many years ago they were not considered repairable, you would have to put a new one at a $$$ cost (thousands). Then gradually the price of a battery replacement came down considerably. Finally alternative repair options came to take bad cells and keep going.

The batteries have a degradation warranty for 8/100k miles (IIRC greater than 20% degradation from new) - I have a solid 4.5 years left on the warranty (I'll never hit the mileage in that time) - I think most EV's have similar warranties. Now since E-Golf was limited release in US and is now out of production I am not sure how VW would handle it should I have an issue lets say today or 4 years down the road. There have been no widely reported degradation problems with the E-Golf batteries to date (Nissan Leaf had some serious issues in its early years) and even my 61k mile battery still gets pretty close to the stated 84 mile range, usually about 72-75 miles per charge during summer with heavy a/c use.

Last edited:
Tesla Model 3s are jokingly called the new Corolla around here. Silicon Valley is a Tesla bubble.
As far as analog gauges, well, that ain't a Tesla.

The one thing I miss is the side mirror blind spot monitors. Tesla identifies and shows objects on the tablet, but I wish they would include them on the side mirrors as well.
Wow no blind spot mirrors? My $23.6k Alltrack has those in addition to analog gauges and real buttons to push. Sure i gotta buy some gas and it won't rocket off the line like a Tesla but good enough for now.

Wow no blind spot mirrors? My $23.6k Alltrack has those in addition to analog gauges and real buttons to push. Sure i gotta buy some gas and it won't rocket off the line like a Tesla but good enough for now.
You really get used to (trust!) the side mirror BSM lights. PimTac's heads up display is even better.
The Model 3 shows the cars on the tablet display and makes noise if you turn on your blinker.
I forget what it does if you try to move into the lane. Probably sends 1,000 volts through the steering wheel.
There are YouTube videos that show how it works if you are interested.
Tesla overthought the tablet for this on, IMO.

Bottom line: the mirror lights are better. Tesla needs to write some Mickey Mouse code and push an update.
Or givem me new mirrors...

Last edited:
Back