Electric car brake pad differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone knows the difference in regular and electric car brake pads on the same vehicle? I am looking for pads for my Focus and have come across pads for the Focus electric which are way cheaper. The pad fitment is the same because many pads cross over to both cars. Some are listed for the electric version only, having a different part number for the gas cars. I would think initial bite would be stronger on the electric car pad since they are only used momentarily. My only worry would be how they would handle long hot stops since electric cars don't usually do long braking runs. Just curious to see what others think before I give it a shot. Looking at the Raybestos EHT line by the way.

I don't think EV would need a stronger bite, as regen braking at higher speed would means the pads are applied when the speed is much lower. So, by the time the brake is applied it would be 15mph instead of 75mph (for example).

The real need would be going downhill, when the battery is already full. If the EV is heavier the pads need to tolerate higher temperature than gasoline cars of lighter weight. They can get around that need with heater using up the regen electricity.

Last edited:
Toyota reformulated the Prius pads to be more resistant to the friction peeling off due to rust jacking - Toyota lists them with a different part number, while the aftermarket lists the same pad for the 1st-2nd gen Prius as well as the Scion xA/xB/iQ and the Celica/MR2/Echo of that era. I'm not sure about the Camry/Highlander/Lexus hybrids. There could also be mechanical differences like deeper or more pronounced chamfers or reduced thickness. Supposedly the Tesla Model S/X use the same Brembo calipers as a Porsche, and pad selection is greater for "performance" ones.

Electric cars and hybrids will use regenerative braking or dynamic deceleration to slow down and use the service brakes to hold the car in place.

I remember reading that electric vehicles often needed more powerful brakes as their gasoline versions since they typically weighed more. The regulations had their minimum braking standards as if there were no regnerative braking.

I'm not sure how they would affect the pads themselves, but I think I'd give them a shot. Can you return them if they don't look right?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Are they cheap enough that you could throw them out and buy the correct ones if they don't work right?

Yeah, they are like $15. I just figured I would slap new pads on the OEM rotors and hopefully have better braking. If they weren't any good, I wouldn't feel too bad throwing them out. The correct ones are almost $50.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
I remember reading that electric vehicles often needed more powerful brakes as their gasoline versions since they typically weighed more. The regulations had their minimum braking standards as if there were no regnerative braking.

I'm not sure how they would affect the pads themselves, but I think I'd give them a shot. Can you return them if they don't look right?

I should be able to return them, I may give it a shot and see what I get.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
Originally Posted by atikovi
Are they cheap enough that you could throw them out and buy the correct ones if they don't work right?

Yeah, they are like $15. I just figured I would slap new pads on the OEM rotors and hopefully have better braking. If they weren't any good, I wouldn't feel too bad throwing them out. The correct ones are almost $50.

Less than one third the price? I'd give it a try. Can't image they would only last one third as long. Even if they last half as long you're ahead if you do the labor and chances are they will last nearly as long as the expensive pads.

We had a used 2012 Nissan Leaf with 37,000 miles . Pads & rotors looked new .

Can not say much more about it .

Car was rear ended before winter arrived .

I WOULD PURCHASE THE CHEAP PADS , UNLESS YOU DRINE LIKE IT WAS THE indy 500 .

I ended up buying the electric spec brakes for the car all the way around, for a total of about $32. I will see what I get and will report back with the results. I ended up not hesitating to buy them, they crossed to many other mainstream and performance oriented vehicles, as well as the Focus electric. The only difference I was able to see from pictures, was that the recommended ones had the slot in the center of the pad and the Electric version did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back