EFB - great product or a ripoff?

I see some listings for EFB batteries, maybe only for boats. What is better about them?

If one wants to upgrade from a standard battery why not just go to an AGM?

EFB is supposedly longer lasting than a traditional battery in certain applications such as start/stop.
Cost of EFB vs AGM. 100K cars X $7 as an example adds up. So every part cost is scrutinized.

Rented a new Sentra months ago on vacation that had a EFB battery and it said Renault on it. The car didn't have start-stop however. I'll dig up a pic of it.

IMG_1309.JPG

AFAIK, Toyota installed EFBs in all the Prii(2001-2015) but the hybrid Camry/Avalon/Highlander/RAV4 all got AGMs, and then all of them now use DIN-sized AGM.

There is some benefit to a EFB - it won’t puke acid. Basically, it’s a modern day version of the ACDelco Freedom battery(back when GM made batteries in Anderson, IN/Anaheim, CA/Atlanta, GA).

My Mini has an AGM battery, while my GTI has an EFB. Both are still the factory
ones (Mini: almost 10 years!), both cars came with start/stop and recuperation
tech (I disabled start/stop). However there's a difference in where the batteries
are located and that points to a technical difference between these batteries.

EFBs are superior to AGM batteries in some applications. AGMs don't like heat,
which isn't an issue when located in the luggage compartment (BMW, Porsche)
or separated from the engine bay (Mini), though it could be an issue longterm
when sitting in the engine bay.
No idea if this could be compensated by improved insulation, at least it would
reduce peak temperatures. Of course EFBs are also cheaper compared to AGMs.
Just saying, most automotive engineers aren't stupid, there are valid reasons. 🤫

You take pictures of your rental car's battery on vacation?
I took pictures of my rental in Phoenix over MLK weekend.

Had I observed a unique battery, I might have taken a closer shot of it.

2022EdgeUnderhood.JPG

and as a teaser, what the car looked like 2 miles from the airport after an encounter with a hit-and-run driver who left the scene on foot:

CrashFootage.JPG

Too bad, it was a nice car. We got it with 3 miles on the clock.

I'll give a more detailed review and an account of the accident after it is all settled.

Found out Autozone is carrying EPB batteries when searching for a battery for an 01 Tundra. The battery is reaching 5 years old and is starting to diminish in capacity (CCA pulse shooter test.)

Enhanced Flooded Batteries huh.. So now we have half a dozen totally different battery types and chargers to confuse the consumer even more..

Start & stop cars are said to benefit from EF batteries, but do they require a different charger?.. Will replacing a conventional lead acid with a EFB battery be beneficial?

"In many areas, EFB matched the performance of AGM, which challenges the long-held belief in the United States that AGM is a better option. In addition, EFB outperformed AGM in several other areas including battery life, heat tolerance and mid-depth cycling resilience.

Evidence provided by more than a decade of use in Europe as well as the latest U.S. study indicates EFB is just as good as AGM in terms of automotive battery performance. In most cases, EFB is even better than AGM."

Last edited:
Start & stop cars are said to benefit from EF batteries, but do they require a different charger?

No, any decent (ideally electronically controlled) charger will do.

Will replacing a conventional lead acid with a EFB battery be beneficial?

In theory at least, yes.

"In many areas, EFB matched the performance of AGM, which challenges the long-held
belief in the United States that AGM is a better option. In addition, EFB outperformed AGM
in several other areas including battery life, heat tolerance and mid-depth cycling resilience.

Though this is marketing, some of that is true. I mentioned 'heat tolerance'
is better compared to AGM (which is their achilles heel). That's mainly or even
only a factor when the battery resides in the engine compartment.

Evidence provided by more than a decade of use in Europe as well as the latest U.S. study
indicates EFB is just as good as AGM in terms of automotive battery performance. In most
cases, EFB is even better than AGM."

I wouldn't say 'just as good', as it depends on the application.

Those efb batteries look like the type batteries I usually avoid. I generally look for the biggest battery that will fit, with the lowest cca that meets specs. Thinner and more plates means more fragile and easier to fail imho.

I did try the wm $50 group 24 battery in my Mazda, while not an efb battery, it's not cutting it. Replacing with a full size east Penn battery.

Those efb batteries look like the type batteries I usually avoid. I generally look for the biggest battery that will fit, with the lowest cca that meets specs. Thinner and more plates means more fragile and easier to fail imho.

Interesting theory - going for the lowest quality available for increased reliability?

Interesting theory - going for the lowest quality available for increased reliability?
Yes. Thicker and fewer plates, as long as it has the cca of the vehicle spec. I try not to buy more cca than the vehicle spec. More cca means more plates that have to be thinner to fit in the same size group case.
In my opinion, that's higher quality.

I see some listings for EFB batteries, maybe only for boats. What is better about them?

If one wants to upgrade from a standard battery why not just go to an AGM?
Providing a little more detail on what is already mentioned in this thread. Stryten Energy (manufacturer of the Exide brand) claims EFB is superior to AGM in 3 areas: battery life, heat tolerance, and capacity retention.

....A study, commissioned by Stryten Energy and conducted by an independent third-party research company and battery testing lab, tested the performance of EFB technology in comparison to AGM batteries and came up with some surprising results....

...To measure mid-depth cycling resilience, the study performed a 17.5 percent Depth of Discharge Test, which is the industry standard for measuring a battery’s ability to operate under a partial state-of-charge application...........Over an 18-week [testing] period, the total average capacity output of EFB was 50 percent greater than AGM for an equally sized battery. This finding indicates EFB not only can yield as many cycles as AGM but can also hold its total capacity to a higher level without decay...

...An area where EFB greatly outperformed AGM was in temperature tests......The new study showed an EFB battery is able to handle a temperature increase at 50°C and absorb 52 percent more energy than a comparable AGM battery. When translated into an operations environment, the implication is that an EFB will last 52 percent longer than an AGM battery in high-temperature environments...

....Battery returns in the United States are monitored every five years to determine why batteries go out of service. Between 1965 and 2010, the average battery’s life span increased each year, but between 2010 and 2015, battery life began to decline. Since then, the U.S. market saw a 30 percent increase in battery failure with cycling, which is directly caused by the ever-increasing use of battery-draining electronic features in automobiles.....

Yuasa only recently (2022) started selling automotive batteries in North America, and they also have an EFB battery.

Back