EBay Gift Card Scam- Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happened to someone on another forum I participate in, I've never heard of a scam with such complexity before:

quote:

Right now. Last Monday, I purchased on eBay a $500 Target gift card from a pretty good seller with a (23) and no negatives and recent significant transactions for $450 and I used Paypal and my American Express.

Seller uses Paypal to ship so I get a shipping confirmation online and positive eBay feedback, sellers says you get the card soon, thanks for playing.

I leave town. I check my ebay email and the sellers says "my paypal account is having a problem and paypal has shut me down. I'm going to send you a refund and I need you to send another paypal payment to this other temporary email account I just set up. I don't expect you to send me a new payment until you get your refund, then I'll send the card. Here's my telephone number, call me."

So I check the tracking number and the item has been delivered. When I get home tomorrow, I will check inside that envelope and see if there is a Target gift card in there. We shall see. I did check my paypal account and I did receive a full refund of $450 already and it goes back to AMEX but it hasn't hit my AMEX account statement yet.

Here's how the scam works. I believe there is no card in that envelope. If there isn't, seller takes no risk in giving me my money back because seller hasn't shipped anything in the first place. If there is a card in the envelope, I will check the balance to see if it's $500 on it. The seller was hoping that I would see that I got a $500 refund, which I did, and turn around and send a fresh $500 to a thief's paypal account BEFORE I could check inside the envelope before it arrived. All about timing. If I sent money right now, that money would be lost because there's no ebay transaction to tie it to and it's probaby neither verified nor confirmed the paypal account. It would be a stupid move for me to sink $500 to some brand new paypal account and paypal is probably not going to cover stupidity. In the meantime, if I dispute the first original transaction, seller has a tracking number proving they shipped AND they can show where they gave me a refund if worse comes to worse, I have no dispute there.

Because I'm smart and I know eBay is a thief's haven, I know when I'm being scammed. I do not plan to pay anyone else period. Seller will have to go to paypal dispute to get me to pay at this point. Let's say there is a card in that envelope and it has $500 on it for real. Will I pay? No. Why not? Because the transaction was between myself and the first paypal/ebay account and I will only pay that seller. If the seller will send me his mailing address, I might send a money order but even then the seller could claim they send me a refund and demand to have the card back and I would be out of the money order. Only then will I pay when this goes into dispute that way everything is on the record.

Also I am afraid that this $500 card was purchased with a stolen credit card. In about 90 days, target would cancel the card because the original credit card owner files a dispute with their credit card saying their credit card was used improperly to buy a target gift card. Then I will lose the unused balance. So I can either use up the card right away or use the card to purchase another target gift card....but either way I think target can track it and cancel it or bill me.

What tipped me off? A thief will give their transaction creditibility by giving you praise. This particular seller immediately left positive feedback "great buyer, pays fast, great transaction, would do business again" ****. Next, seller said "when I get your second payment, I'll send the card." He's trying to make it seem like I need to act to complete this transaction but I know the card was already mailed. Seller send me email on the same day saying he already mailed it...and he did. How does the seller give me a refund if his paypal account is shut down? I got a refund thru paypal....I should send his "shutdown" account $1 to see if it works or not. Finally, I'm keen on these old paypal games. You have to play by the rules strictly else you'll get burned.

So what do I do now? Check to see if I have a Target card and what kind of money is on it. If there is $500 on it, I will need to follow up to see if the card has been purchased legitimately using a legitimate credit card. Then I will wait for the dispute, it this is a scam, there won't be a dispute and there won't be a card, net net, I'm even. I will not pay and at best, I get a $500 target gift card for free.

That's my story.

Questions:

Why in the world would anyone BUY a Target gift card on Ebay? Why wouldn't you just buy the darn thing directly FROM Target???

Furthermore, why would anyone SELL a Target gift card on Ebay? It's not like you can go buy one for $500 and then turn a profit on it.

Unfortunately, this is how stupid people get burned. They don't ask the obvious questions...

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Because he was buying it for MUCH less on EBay.

And this should've been his first clue that something wasn't right.

There's no plausible explanation why someone would sell a $500 Target gift card for MUCH less than $500, especially when you factor in the Ebay fees, PayPal fees, and shipping expenses that would come from selling the card.

Heck, even if there isn't a Target store near you, you can buy most of their products online. And who in this world couldn't find a way to spend $500 at Target if they really tried? So it's not like the seller can claim that they don't "need" anything from Target or that they don't live anywhere near a Target store.

Oh well. I appreciated the story though. It's always nice to keep informed on the Scam of the Month.
smile.gif

Yep. I thought this was quite a carefully planned out scam.

However, note that he has purchased many gift cards from EBay, over the years, in a similar fashion without issues.

Scammers on eBay are a VERY low prioriy for law enforcement....

but.... download one free song and you could be facing thousands of dollars in penalties.

Interesting how some groups receive better protection.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
Scammers on eBay are a VERY low prioriy for law enforcement....

but.... download one free song and you could be facing thousands of dollars in penalties.

Interesting how some groups receive better protection.

It's the groups that pay the most PAC money to our elected officials receive the most benefits.

It's not quite the same, but you'll see e.g. Staples coupons sold on ebay all day long - for much less than their face value. $20 off $100 coupon selling for a few bucks.

As to the Target scam, it must be aimed at newbies. No way I'd send money twice for anything under any circumstances. Just void the transaction, inform Paypal and your credit card company and that's that.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Because he was buying it for MUCH less on EBay.

he only saved $50 buying the card on ebay. to me thats not saving alot. I would consider saving as lot as getting it for $200 to $300. so he could of just added $50 and get a $500 target gift card and not have to worry with this headache. if the card is legit and he still wont pay for it. then he is no better than the theves on ebay. if he think its not legit. then he needs to send the card back when he gets it and send it delivery comformation. so he has proof to ebay and pay pal that the card was sent back and the reason why it was sent back.

I also never understood why people buy gift cards off e bay. its just asking to get screwed.

Guy lucked out again. Its legit, at least from what he can see so far. Perhaps he overanalyzed the situation. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back