ebay charging sales tax on everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a play on words but,

EBAY doesn't charge sales tax at all, EBAY is FORCED to collect it for your state government. The people you elect to office, to spend.

We complain about government but its the public that chooses the wrong people to run it, we are a product of our failed choices.
Food for thought, (as an example)
People select a president to vote for, (a debate) based on their TV performance, rather then their life long record and qualifications. :eek:)

Can you imagine if the worlds best corporations chose their CEO the same way? We would all be doomed. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

EBAY doesn't charge sales tax at all, EBAY is FORCED to collect it for your state government. The people you elect to office, to spend.

When I buy something on eBay and pay with PayPal, there are two separate PayPal transactions - one for eBay/seller and one for the states sales tax PayPal account.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

When I buy something on eBay and pay with PayPal, there are two separate PayPal transactions - one for eBay/seller and one for the states sales tax PayPal account.

Correct, the buyer pays the sales tax and the sales tax is based on the sales tax rate of the state the buyer lives in. (Ebay collects it, buyer pays for it on their invoice, ebay gives it to the state)

(if the state you live in requires it, you can bet,sooner or later they all will now that the cat is out of the bag.)

Last edited:
Why is it consumers never get a vote for stuff like this? After all, WE are the ones paying the extra sales tax on these items...

The tax rate is set by the legislature and governor of the purchaser / consumer's state, so they certainly do have a vote on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
The tax rate is set by the legislature and governor of the purchaser / consumer's state, so they certainly do have a vote on it.

You're talking about voting for a person. I'm talking about voting for or against an issue, like a levy for school funding or something like that. This should be one of those issues...

Originally Posted by mk378

... Exactly ...
Most consumers understand they have to pay taxes on their purchases. We all got lucky for a while and states didn't collect (actually forbidden) on internet purchasers but that day is over unless you can get people into office that will collect that money in some other way, which doubt another way can be found that would be fair to everyone and why there is a state sales tax.

However, you do have a vote and the power to get together like minded people to vote the same. You just need a better more fair way to fund state operations that other voters would agree with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yep. ^ This.

It's kind of a pain with two separate charges. It's gotta put a dent in mail order sales and for eons was the reason I did a lot of mail order for pricier items. Forces me to shop around more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back