East Coast Laundry Room

Women killed the basement laundry idea. I guess old folks did too. It really is the way to go. You can isolate the noise and vibration as well as hide it from view and if you have water related issues you don't destroy the house. Same with water heaters.
Yes we all know about safety features but laundry in the basement is king. No basement then you have no choice.

Most non basement laundry rooms are too small and cramped anyway. If I was concerned about resale I'd build in a living floor laundry but personally wouldn't use it.
I'm with you there. We didn't design our house, so the laundry room is on the top floor. A significant leak would be an absolute nightmare.

I have worked in homes that have the laundry, hwh, well tank and hvac in the same room. As long as you keep the area at 33degees or better there is no problem. You could have a small baseboard electric heater on a t-stat. Or you could have a small outlet and return on the hvac if code would permit that.

I bought a house where the laundry was on the second story and a hose broke and the owners were on vacation...many ceilings I did fix.lol
I turn off the water when I go away...always.

I bought a house where the laundry was on the second story and a hose broke and the owners were on vacation...many ceilings I did fix.lol
I turn off the water when I go away...always.
Always. I have seen many a disaster

You mean hollow pipe etc instead of rubber hoses? Direct feed...
I use braided ones afterwards and replace them about every 5 years
Yes ..... I meant hollow copper pipe . Rubber and SS are just cheap and easy alternatives .

Yes ..... I meant hollow copper pipe . Rubber and SS are just cheap and easy alternatives .
I have never seen it direct to the washer using hollow pipe here.

In the wall here is copper if old and pvc usually up until recently pex. I'm not really sure how robust those braided SS hoses really are.
Once it was fixed I put in the washer pan and drain , water sensor etc.

I know little of PEX but I hear rodents like to chew on it. I don't have that issue or ever want it...lol

My wife has commented on how she wouldn't want laundry near the bedrooms...i.e. on the 2nd floor of a traditional 2 story. When she's running a gazillion loads all day she's also working in the kitchen, playing with the kiddo in the living room, etc. I suppose main level does make sense for that reason.

My wife has commented on how she wouldn't want laundry near the bedrooms...i.e. on the 2nd floor of a traditional 2 story. When she's running a gazillion loads all day she's also working in the kitchen, playing with the kiddo in the living room, etc. I suppose main level does make sense for that reason.
Yeah that's a trip ..
I don't like attic HVAC systems either.. I'm a sissy.. sensitive to the noise and vibration especially over the mb...
House design is often an afterthought

I don't like attic HVAC systems either.. I'm a sissy.. sensitive to the noise and vibration especially over the mb..

That's also a huge energy waste, an AC often needs to be 1/2 to 1 ton larger in capacity just for being in the attic.

Even just having ducts in the attic is an energy waste.

Back