Earthquake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tweet of the day:
"the USGS lowered the earthquake magnitude--it wasn't a 5.9, it was a 5.8. Yes, but with the heat index, it felt like 6.1!"

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Tempest and Drew, I feel like I should weigh in on the debate here, since it is my line of work, but I'm not sure what you guys are specifically trying to argue for/against.
please school me. I felt the floor move for about 15 seconds. I didnt regard the time, but what I felt was more toward 1:30 ish EDT. Are tremors like sound in that they travel at a certain rate away from the epicenter?

Yes, they move in waves, akin to ocean waves..the distinct difference is in the fact that the waves travel through hard rock ..therefore the frequency is much sharper for lack of a better term, and quicker as well.The movement of the waves through rock is tens of thousands of times the effect through any other substance.Thats' why the Richter scale is gradient to the tenth of a degree(5.8 is a thousand times less than a 5.9),simply because of the stratifcation of rock.The propensity of waves dissipating to the surface is less.
edit:I'll explain ...if that earthquakes' hypocenter were to be at, or near, the surface...It would be like like the Northridge quake in Cali.The very fact that the Atlantic plate at the interface of the North-American plate is
very deep is the sole reason the earthquake wasn't so harmfull to modern society.

Large for east coast standards. Similar to a snow storm hitting Los Angeles.

I just heard there was an earthquake today!
lol.gif
Ahhh, mass media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Large for east coast standards. Similar to a snow storm hitting Los Angeles.

Alot of people are forgetting that. If we have one like that here half the houses will fall in. Ours is one.. if it doesn't I'll hit it with the car so it will..
lol.gif

LOL

This will probably be the last earthquake of that magnitude for the next 40-50 years. Unless these theories about the solar flares contributing are true.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Everyone at work felt it too. One kid got sick from motion sickness.

Take him on a Shrimp or Lobster boat and see what happens.LOL.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Everyone at work felt it too. One kid got sick from motion sickness.

Take him on a Shrimp or Lobster boat and see what happens.LOL.

lol.gif

I was at work when it happened and it was kind of frightening. I experienced California termors and earthquakes but to have it have it happen on the east coast so pronounced caught me off guard. The east coast, specifically NJ does have earthquakes, but they are typically 1 or below, barely a blip.

I found it funny though that Monday, Colorado experienced a 5.3ish quake, and then Tuesday Virginia gets a 5.8-6.0(pending resource). They said that people in Ontario felt the quake, thats saying a lot for its magnitude. Luckily it wasn't as severe as West Coasters get, and nothing on the scale of Japan's recent 8.9(i can't imagine how awful that would have felt).

Office building shook and swayed, pictures and cubicles were shaking. That 30-40 seconds felt like minutes. I initially thought it was vertigo since my chair was rocking lol.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Fox News is at it already:

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2011/08/wash...deo--65542.html

At what? Reporting what one police officer told them? They didn't say that it was leaning. The report made clear that this information was very sketchy from a single officer.

What you have had them do?

Fox news makes plenty of mistakes just like any network does. This wasn't being reported as absolute fact.

And again, no major damage, and no one died. If this was in California this would be a minor event, but because it happened to the politicians in Washington and the News bosses in NY, it's a huge story.

It's a huge event due to the fact that the East Coast very rarely gets a quake of this magnitude and for it to be felt at such far distances. Most of the damage occured at the epicenter and surrounding areas, but nothing quite like Cali. It would be like us saying California's are whining about a Blizzard, it would be minor to us East Coasters as a NJ newscaster stated.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
5.8?

And all this hub bub?

Closed airports, buildings evacuated? Any new building should surely be good to at least 7.0.

Wow. Pfft. Glad no one got hurt.

Most of the buildings in the City and far states aren't really built with that in mind compared to other cities which actually experience the quakes. Factor in a lot of these buildings are very old and not recent(NYC for instance), Hoboken etc.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Tempest and Drew, I feel like I should weigh in on the debate here, since it is my line of work, but I'm not sure what you guys are specifically trying to argue for/against.
please school me. I felt the floor move for about 15 seconds. I didnt regard the time, but what I felt was more toward 1:30 ish EDT. Are tremors like sound in that they travel at a certain rate away from the epicenter?
Yes, they move in waves, akin to ocean waves..the distinct difference is in the fact that the waves travel through hard rock ..therefore the frequency is much sharper for lack of a better term, and quicker as well.The movement of the waves through rock is tens of thousands of times the effect through any other substance.Thats' why the Richter scale is gradient to the tenth of a degree(5.8 is a thousand times less than a 5.9),simply because of the stratifcation of rock.The propensity of waves dissipating to the surface is less.
edit:I'll explain ...if that earthquakes' hypocenter were to be at, or near, the surface...It would be like like the Northridge quake in Cali.The very fact that the Atlantic plate at the interface of the North-American plate is
very deep is the sole reason the earthquake wasn't so harmfull to modern society.
Need to make some corrections here.

The waves are elastic body and surface waves. Compressional body waves (the same type that carries sound through air, but much more slowly) are the fastest--probably about 8 km/s in the eastern US. Shear waves (which don't occur in viscous material like air) are slower--maybe 3.5 km/s--and earthquakes are more efficient at radiating that type of energy. Body wave energy decays with the inverse of distance squared. Surface waves are even slower, and far away from the earthquake they will have much more amplitude, since their energy only decays with inverse distance.

The Richter scale is no longer in use. Rather, we look at the total moment of slip on the fault (think of it as energy, with units of force*distance) and apply a logarithmic scale to report a moment magnitude (Mw). There's a scale factor of 2/3, so that means that two magnitude units indicates a factor of 1000 in energy difference. Thus, this Mw 5.8 earthquake is 1/23 as powerful as the 1994 Mw=6.7 Northridge earthquake, and 1/63000 as powerful as the 2011 Mw=9.0 Japan earthquake.

The estimated depth of the Virgina earthquake is 6 km, which is somewhat toward the shallow end of the typical range of destructive earthquakes. The Northridge earthquake, by comparison, had a hypocenter at 19 km. It was still very destructive because of the presence of basins filled with soft sedimentary material, which lead to waveguide effects that trap seismic energy and locally intensify it.

The tectonic regime of the Virginia earthquake is intraplate, and the plate is the North American Plate. The NA plate extends under the Atlantic Ocean as far as the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back