7.4 earthquake in Taiwan

Seems we never hear much about other parts of the world unless there are some politics surrounding it. There was a 7.4 richter scale earthquake in Taiwan. This is a pretty stunning 31 second video. I hope you can see it without logging in to twitter.

Seems we never hear much about other parts of the world unless there are some politics surrounding it. There was a 7.4 richter scale earthquake in Taiwan. This is a pretty stunning 31 second video. I hope you can see it without logging in to twitter.

Does Taiwan have alot of earthquakes?

Hopefully TSMC didn't suffer any damage, that could throw is into another chip shortage.
Saw an article about them specifically earlier. They suspended operations at construction sites (new plants?) until proper inspections could be completed, but otherwise reported nothing major. Stock dipped 1%.

I think so. There near the ring of fire. Their buildings seemed to hold up quite well. The video of everyone stopped on the suspension bridge was eerie. I would be freaking out.
Yeah, they seemed like it was no big deal. Just another routine commute on any given Wednesday.

Hopefully TSMC didn't suffer any damage, that could throw is into another chip shortage.

They say that most of their equipment seems to be fine. However, any kind of shaking can obviously disrupt production.

It's been a while since I've studied it, but it would probably throw off any photolithography going on. Maybe not diffusion, although I think it's typically done with ion implantation these days. I suppose a wafer that's been interrupted can be inspected and the damaged items would be marked as bad.

Obviously they halted production when the earthquake hit. The other thing is that Hsinchu isn't that close to the epicenter of the quake, but any kind of shaking would probably disrupt any current processes going on.

I'd say these internatio0nal disasters receive coverage based on the severity of casualties more than anything political. The past horrors of both the Indonesian and Japanese Sunami's received wide spread coverage...

Obviously figures will climb but so far 9 dead and a 1000 injured is bad but not the scale of the above two disasters...

Back