Earthquake Cecil County?

I’m in Salem county Nj, (SW Jersey) I heard it more than felt it. Some of my students said they could feel a vibration, the ceiling mounted projector was fluttering for a good 30 seconds while we were covering the Cold War no less. Lol. We had a similar experience back in 2016 I think that one was smaller than today’s.

What year would that have been? I remember working in a 2 story bldg at the time and everyone ran out, as we were afraid something was structurally wrong with the bldg. Was in cherry hill NJ at the time…not 2020
Here you go

Damage Report

1712330354349.jpg

A number of years ago there was a stronger one in central Va. I was in Northern Va meeting with people in a really old house. Whole house started rocking and rolling. We ran outside and so did all the other people in the area. Whole bunch of people standing outside looking at each other thinking ***. That old house held up fine. There was no doubt what it was. Young guy in the family was in his car at a stoplight. He thought his car was running out of gas.

The Ramapo Fault and its offshoots pass through Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York. Luckily it's not a very active fault system - so far.

We felt it. Was pretty intense for this area. Don't laugh Californians. LOL

View attachment 212420
The 7.2 landers,ca one was just east of me and actully woke me up!

If you are right above the epicenter of a shallow quake it doesn't have to be a very large quake to shake you up. The ones that cause long and rather gentle swaying are also unsettling. Then there are those where things start rattling. Jolts are fun. I always get worried when more than a few months pass without any tremors. The last one I felt was while I was stopped in city traffic and all the cars started swaying a little.

The San Andreas Fault has potential for >8.0 quakes but the Hayward and Cavaleras Fault could lay waste to the Bay Area. All those Fault systems pale in comparison to the 700-mile-long Cascadia Subduction Zone that goes fron NorCal to BC and that has the potential for producing >9.0 quakes. A 9.0 is 32 times more powerful than an 8.0. An 8.0 can already cause near complete destruction.

That one was actually getting up there a bit…

A 5.9 is enough to damage the Washington Monument to a good degree. Bad enough it was shut down for awhile after that earthquake.

And near Louisa county where that hit it actually did real damage to people’s homes. Nothing massive mind you like a 7.3 or higher than that. But it actually did cause structural damage to homes there.

I had a 3.8 hit near my sisters in Roanoke in 2008. That woke up many people in that high end neighborhood in Cave Spring. The epicenter of that earthquake was only a 1/2 mile from my sisters home.

A 5.9 would be 64 times stronger than that was.

Last edited:
That one was actually getting up there a bit…

A 5.9 is enough to damage the Washington Monument to a good degree. Bad enough it was shut down for awhile after that earthquake.

And near Louisa county where that hit it actually did real damage to people’s homes. Nothing massive mind you like a 7.3 or higher than that. But it actually did cause structural damage to homes there.

I had a 3.8 hit near my sisters in Roanoke in 2008. That woke up many people in that high end neighborhood in Cave Spring. The epicenter of that earthquake was only a 1/2 mile from my sisters home.

A 5.9 would be 64 times stronger than that was.
I was working on my house then and I was painting the hallway to the garage and it sounded like a rumbling motorcycle outside and then all the garage doors were shaking and I ran outside and nothing. For this area it was certainly unexpected.

I was in DC for the one in 2011. I was standing in the pasta aisle at Walmart. I felt as though I was losing balance, then noticed everything was moving, glass jars of pasta sauce were crashing on the floor, and everybody was screaming and running to the exit. I had lived in California (Monterrey) a couple years before so it didn't seem that bad to me. Some people in the DC area though were in full on panic over the end of times.

I was in New Haven Conn in the 80's and on the 7th floor of a hotel when there was an early morning earthquake. I was in bed and the bed moved sideways. It felt wierd. They had no apparent damages and I don't remember what power it was, but I think it was 3's or low 4's.

Back