E85 Occasional use in FlexFuel Vehicle?

I know the '14 & up 1500's have Alcohol Content Sensors....But what I've seen on '14 & up 2500/3500 is they calculate Alcohol Content Virtually. Not that I'm 100% on a '18 model.

ALL Flex Fuel '07-'13 GMT900's used a Virtual Flex Fuel Algorithm, As did the late GMT800's, Early GMT800's used a Alcohol Content Sensor.
18 would have the ethanol content sensor. They are standard on all the 14+ trucks that were flex fuel. It takes only around a minute to get to the new ethanol concentration when I watch it on my truck when I get new fuel and have my data logging laptop with me. I added E85 capability to my 6.2L a couple years ago and have been keeping track of it every since with different concentrations of alcohol vs fuel economy. I usually get 20-30% less mpg with E85 but its been around 30-50% cheaper around here in the last couple years. The Gen V engines also make more power using E85.

I just got it for $1.85 / gallon and put it in all my vehicles.

I can say my 99 crown vic and 03 f-150 did not start well in the cold. Was like starting a diesel. The other cars acted no different.

I'm not running it to save money. I'm going to run 500-700 gallons through the truck to help provide cleaning.

It's only typically $0.30/gallon cheaper here. So it's actually a bit more expensive to run than gasoline with the drop in mpg's. But it's OK in the short term. I'm wanting to run this truck for a long time.....

I would run it as a cleaner if we had more e85 stations in Austin. It’s probably more effective than most system cleaners and cheaper too.
Availability is an issue here in Middle TN, too. There's all of 1 stations in Lebanon that sells E-85. Father-in-law used to run it when the '$/mileage drop' ratio was advantageous. He had a 2010ish Chevy 1500 at the time. Personally haven't ever owned anything set-up to run it. Though one day I want to build a motor for alcohol, but that won't be a daily.

In my neck of the woods, E85 isn’t available. We can get E15 at KwikTrip, and I run it in my F150. I actually gained about 1mi / gal in the truck. My Escape looses about 1-2 mi/gal on it. My son thinks the truck runs better because of factory tuning and boost from turbos being more consistent because it’s a heavier vehicle. Just a guess on our part.

My son is a diesel mechanic and is friends with engine builders. They like running E85 in high compression boosted engines. It’s cheap, helps cool the engine, and provides its own oxygen.

My dad runs his International Cub Cadet mower on E85 and has had 0 issues. He’s been doing this for at least 10 years. He has a stopper on the choke knob to keep it pulled out a touch to enrich the mixture. No issues with the carb or fuel lines.

Same with his Cuda, though he jetted the carb much more fat. The rest of the fuel system was 1974 stock or stock replacement. No issues.

We are an E85 loving family. My 95 YJ is the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that did not like it at all. I had to run premium with no ethanol for it to run correctly.

I’ve also used E85 to clean up go kart and chain saw carbs. It’s a great cleaner.

I have a 2003 Suburban Flex Fuel vehicle....
Out of my own ignorance, I never even considered using E85, which is plentiful near me. I was always under the impression that ethanol was a bad thing. I use ethanol free in my boat and in my Sentra both of which sit for extended periods of time. My 2 stroke Mercury ran like crap when I got it, but now with Ethanol Free and QuickCare additive to each fill, I never have any troubles with it. I suppose using Ethanol Free makes sense in the case when a vehicle sits, but my Suburban is used all the time, so using E85 would be an option for me if there is an advantage.
At around 230k miles, would there be any concerns about starting to run some tanks with E85?
I had my fuel pump replaced once by a mechanic, Part number MU2295 on the invoice. Rock Auto says this part is for the Flex Fuel vehicle.
I always thought my Suburban runs pretty good for the mileage, so somewhat fearful to change it up, but if it will help clean things up and make it better, why not? One fuel pump issue in the past, other than that no fuel related problems that I know about.

Back