E15 Arrives in DFW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: danielLD
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: danielLD

Gasoline is more corrosive than ethanol,

You keep saying this. The entire body of peer reviewed, published science on the corrosive properties of ethanol blended fuels and the fuel handling industry say that you are wrong. Please point to some science that supports your view, and I'll gladly read it.

Ed

I'll try and post a UOA, currently don't have my laptop. ah, science one day says this and the next says the opposite.

Oh, you have a UOA. That's different! Don't bother posting it here. Nobody on this board is capable of understanding it.

You should send it directly to the ethanol producers, refineries, and those manufacturing tanks and piping for the industry. The refineries will be thrilled that they have been wrong all these years and they can send ethanol blends though the current pipe infrastructure. The savings from not having to transport the ethanol by truck and train to be mixed at the point of delivery will be enormous. The manufactures will be thrilled to find that their customers have not been experiencing stress corrosion cracking in tanks and piping handling 20% or more ethanol due to the excess dissolved oxygen carried in the ethanol. The savings in materials, engineering, and treatment will again, be enormous. You will be a very rich man. You have a UOA.

Ed

*****, you guys make me laugh.

Well, to get this thread semi back on topic, I finally have seen e-15 down here in the Houston area as well.

A Walmart just rebuilt one of their gas stations near me, and they have e-15 now.
It is weird though, they have one hose for e-85, one hose for e-15, and then one hose for Super/Mid/Regular e-10.

E-15 was $0.10 cheaper a gallon than regular
E-85 was $0.40 cheaper a gallon than regular

I will not be using it in my Scion regardless (say specifically on the cap not to use more than e-10, I will trust the manufacturer over the EPA on this one). Probably won't use it in my truck either, since this Walmart is one I don't go to often, and being a 2002, don't want to have to worry about if it will or will not cause issues. Probably not, but why risk it for minimal price difference?

I am not a fan of Ethanol gas. I finally can accept E10 but anymore than that and I am concerned for my classic cars, motorcycles and OPE.

DaniealLD....Ed Hackett is correct - Ethanol is more corrosive than gas. That is from everything I ever read and a UOA that you have really is not any evidence at all to support gas as more corrosive than ethanol. Why not prove your point with data tested on actual gas vs E10/15/85 fuel??

I don't plan to get a conversion kit for my vehicles since it costs 300+$ and I will be moving a lot in the next 5-10 years and I have no idea what the availability will be like.

BUT I do have my uncle fill up a 5 gallon tank every time he goes and gets gas for his truck. I will be experimenting with the e85 and will mix it in with the Sienna that recommends premium fuel. I will use regular and mix in the e85 to up the Octane.

Ethanol burns much cleaner than gasoline and is a great cleaner....

I am curious if E85 hurts highway cruising, in city or idling the most. My wife sienna will get plenty of in city and idle so if it is hurting the mpg much more at those times it might not be worth it.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I don't plan to get a conversion kit for my vehicles since it costs 300+$ and I will be moving a lot in the next 5-10 years and I have no idea what the availability will be like.

BUT I do have my uncle fill up a 5 gallon tank every time he goes and gets gas for his truck. I will be experimenting with the e85 and will mix it in with the Sienna that recommends premium fuel. I will use regular and mix in the e85 to up the Octane.

Ethanol burns much cleaner than gasoline and is a great cleaner....

I am curious if E85 hurts highway cruising, in city or idling the most. My wife sienna will get plenty of in city and idle so if it is hurting the mpg much more at those times it might not be worth it.

There's no way I am going thru the trouble to get E85 in a gas can and mix it in the tank for my car. Too much work and your Sienna will hum along just fine on regular 87 octane E10 gas. Plus if it is not E85 capable you are running risk of fuel system damage plus the ECM is not calibrated for this. Just run the gas Toyota says be it 91/93, 87 or whatever.

Last edited:
I have never experienced any fuel economy difference in my vehicles between E10 and E15. But I do use E15 simply because it usually is 5 to 10 cents a gallon cheaper in my neck of the woods with same mpg averages.

I do take a hit on E85 for fuel economy, like everyone else. But when the price spread is good, E85 can still be more cost effective to use. It hasn't been that way around me for awhile. But fuel prices are going up, so it may come to pass that my vehicles live on E85 like they did several years ago when we had gas prices in the stratosphere. Back then, E85 was $1 to $1.50 a gallon cheaper. I used it exclusively for better part of two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back