Dusted - K&N on a Cummins ISX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slammds15
Oil was applied

The sticker clearly says oil free, and there looks to be no oil on the filter to me.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Oil was applied

The sticker clearly says oil free, and there looks to be no oil on the filter to me.

You make a very good point:

KampN_TruckFilter_13MAY17_zpsy7vnryhn.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

So then it should have worked better. What is your point. These filters are absolute garbage and nothing more than a gimmick. What is your point?

Oil was applied

Pretty sure there is a film... but hey you know better than me, holding it your hands means nothing compared to a picture. Bravo.

Last edited:
Why did you oil a filter that says oil free? If they designed the filter to be oil free, then surely it should have no oil on it to opperate as intended. Not denying the filter is at fault, but it was also incorrectly installed. Try and get a claim from K&N, they will toss it out as soon as they see oil on their oil free filter.

Why did you oil a filter that says oil free? If they designed the filter to be oil free, then surely it should have no oil on it to opperate as intended. Not denying the filter is at fault, but it was also incorrectly installed. Try and get a claim from K&N, they will toss it out as soon as they see oil on their oil free filter.

Clearly you can't read. This is not my vehicle. This is not my filter. This was not installed by me nor was there any mention of a warranty claim being filed and sent to K&N. Again what is your point? This simply shows how garbage gimmicks sell to morons. It also shows the lack of air filtration capability by K&N. The filter was not sopping wet, simply a light film, it should have worked better actually. There was no clogging, as indicated by the filter minder, also there was no perforation to the filter media.

Again, what is your point? Arguing for the sake of commenting?

Last edited:

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that if the owner, who is the guy who put this in there and was the same guy hooked on Lucas, thought that the oil would make the filter "even more awesome", he probably oiled it. I don't think the oil is of consequence to obviously less than adequate performance of the filter however, as has been indicated.

They are junk. I know of a Duramax that had the same outcome. Big turbos, dust and [censored] air filters don't get along well.

I just changed my air filter in the Silverado. It caught some much [censored] over the last two years. For a day to day driver I strongly recommend a quality paper filter.

I might ask the same, you seem to be the one getting hot under the collar. Instead of getting aggro, just state the facts clearly. So it's not your vehicle, not your filter, not installed by you, but you seem to be using this as a case against K&N and the engine damage ? So much ranting, not enough content.

I might ask the same, you seem to be the one getting hot under the collar. Instead of getting aggro, just state the facts clearly. So it's not your vehicle, not your filter, not installed by you, but you seem to be using this as a case against K&N and the engine damage ? So much ranting, not enough content.

Reread. I don't get along with stupid people. My bad.

Also I might add his blowby was above 18"inches of water, which is well beyond spec. So if it hadn't been for the dropped liners and blown head gasket he would have been in very soon regardless. Main reason being... drum roll please... a junk K&N filter. Hope that clears it up for you.

ha ha ha, that's why i asked i thought ur friend forget or maybe when the sticker says oil free, he did not apply the oil.

i never use K&N but use any other kind of oiled air filter and the impression is not good, i've already proved it by my self but in this case, i am talking about the fact based on the picture if ur friend forgot to apply the oil it means there is a chance that the filter still good, if u said that the oil is already attached, so be it. use any cotton gauze air filter is just killing the engine slowly.

Reread. I don't get along with stupid people. My bad.

Me either - I'm good. You are obviously a last word type, I'll let you get on with it.

Seems like these filters vary greatly depending on the application. I'm almost certain I've seen UOA's posted that mention they have a K&N oiled filter with no adverse effects, no dirt in the intake tube or anything. Then you see something like this nightmare and wonder how the heck can these even be sold if this happens?? Is there some way the media in this filter was defective some how?

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Seems like these filters vary greatly depending on the application. I'm almost certain I've seen UOA's posted that mention they have a K&N oiled filter with no adverse effects, no dirt in the intake tube or anything. Then you see something like this nightmare and wonder how the heck can these even be sold if this happens?? Is there some way the media in this filter was defective some how?

If you aren't operating in a dusty area, the odds of you having issues are low. On the other hand, if you are operating an engine gulping obscene quantities of air (like this Cummins ISX) and may make an excursion to the gravel pit or similar where fine dust is commonplace, your odds of something like this cropping up increase greatly.

The filtration performance of something like a Donaldson PowerCore @ 99.98% make filters like these look like a screen door. Yeah, they'll stop a June Bug but that's not what you are trying to keep out.

Also, it depends on where your vehicle draws its air from as well. My old Expedition for example, and most of my Ford products, drew from inside the fender. This big truck will most likely draw through a big hole right in the side of the hood, meaning any dust kicked up from the front wheels has the potential to be ingested. When that turbo is at full spool, the amount of air this engine is pulling in is massive, so you also have to think that the draw on the media in a scenario such as this is significantly higher than buddy with a K&N cone on his naturally aspirated 1.6L Honda 4-pot.

Boys, let's cool this one down a bit.

The reasoning for this being presented in a forum environment such as this was for the benefit of the community. It was my idea to share it here, as I felt that given the lack of filtration performance demonstrated, that it would be of value.

The owner of the truck installed the filter. My impression is that he is an individual who is easily lulled into using gimmicks, and this is the result of that. If the filter is oiled, then he chose to oil it. I don't think that's of consequence to what the pictures demonstrate, which is a properly sealed filter that has allowed extremely fine particulate to pass through the media.

Slammds15 is in the position of doing the repairs on the vehicle in question as well as making the discovery illustrated. His role was to determine causation for what resulted in the vehicle being at his shop, and in the throes of doing that, he took some pictures which I felt should be shared, as they detailed a portion of his discovery process and I thought people would appreciate that. I appreciate there may have been insufficient context in the OP, however I did try and clarify the situation in post #6.

Agreed. I think the lesson to take away from this isn't that a K&N filter is useless and this is about bashing, but another situation to watch for. We know it's not going to give some performance boost on a modern vehicle. Now, we just have another reminder to watch its use in highly dusty areas, or where an air filter box might simply be located where it would be pulling in more dust than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back