dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My manual for my 2013 edge 3.5 says 6 quarts. I put 5 quarts in and checked the dipstick(multiple times) and it seems to read over full, but new oil is hard for me to see.

Do I just put the 6 quarts in like the book says? I'm going for yes, but thought i'd ask.

I've never had a problem going a little over, but it's not like I've owned tons of cars. Usually the crankcase can be overfilled a bit, by like up to a quart; in the old days dipsticks were not precision calibrated items.

I like to check the oil after it's been sitting over night. That way I don't even need to wipe off the dipstick. Sitting for 4+ hours seems to also work.

Get better light, use a flashlight if you have to.

It probably isn't really low, because you put in 5, but it might be marginal.

I often carry a pint of oil. I reuse a rubbing alcohol plastic bottle. If you put in 5.5 quarts you shouldn't have to worry about over or under, and you can add a little more if needed.

Park it on a flat surface overnight and check it in the morning. My Subaru is very sensitive to that. It'll read considerably high or low if it's parked on any incline.

+1. My BMW's dipstick is very sensitive to any sort of incline, whereas the Toyotas and Honda are not.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Park it on a flat surface overnight and check it in the morning. My Subaru is very sensitive to that. It'll read considerably high or low if it's parked on any incline.

So i let it sit at lunch while i was home and i checked it. it looked to be right in the middle of the 2 dots. Make me nervous since it calls for 6qts and i only put 5.

I'll check over night too...but man...isn't that a big difference

Last edited:
LET ME START BY SAYING THERE IS NO WAY I CAN BE SURE OF THIS IN YOUR VEHICLE, BUT I DO KNOW OF AN ISSUE WITH KIA. THE MANUAL SAYS ONE AMOUNT OF OIL FOR A FILL, BUT THEY USE 2 DIFERENT SIZE OIL PANS. IN THAT CASE, THE DIFERENCE IS NOTED BY A DIFFERENT COLOR OF DIPSTICK. IF YOU BOUGHT THE VEHICLE USED, THIS IS A POSSIBILITY, SOMEONE MAY HAVE REPLACED THE ORIGINAL OIL PAN. ULTIMATELY, BETWEEN THE DOTS IS A GOOD PLACE TO BE. A SMIDGE (VERY TECHNICAL UNIT OF MEASUREMENT) OVER THE TOP DOT IS OK. YOU DON'T WANT TO OVERFILL TOO MUCH THOUGH. DOING SO CAN INTERUPT THE OPERATION OF YOU FLUX CAPACITOR.

^ I is scared of all the yelling.

OP: I generally round down to a 1/2 quart. If it calls for 3.7 it gets 3.5, 4.2 -> 4, etc. Its hard to drain out all of what the manual calls for. I imagine 5.5 would be good for you. Keep checking as the oil darken over the miles and you'll get a better idea on the engines' use of oil. Then you can decide if you should put in 5.5 in the future or just a full 6 and expect it to use/burn a bit over an OCI.

I know people say to follow the manual, but when you get used to your vehicle you kind of know what to add - second nature almost.

I think my Prius manual says 4.5 quarts. I would NEVER add that much oil to it. 3 to 3.5 is my norm, and once I did 4 quarts and it read vastly overfull.

Hyundai says 5 quarts. I add 5 quarts and the reading is too high for my comfort level. 4.5 is about right.

Doesn't matter what lighting, what time of day, or hot or cold. Manual specs on both of my vehicles read too high on the dipstick. Go with what you know.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I know people say to follow the manual, but when you get used to your vehicle you kind of know what to add - second nature almost.

I think my Prius manual says 4.5 quarts. I would NEVER add that much oil to it. 3 to 3.5 is my norm, and once I did 4 quarts and it read vastly overfull.

Hyundai says 5 quarts. I add 5 quarts and the reading is too high for my comfort level. 4.5 is about right.

Doesn't matter what lighting, what time of day, or hot or cold. Manual specs on both of my vehicles read too high on the dipstick. Go with what you know.

Same here. Each car model will be different and oil draining method will affect how much oil gets out. In my Mazda 3 the spec is 4.3 liters and 4 liters gets me to the full mark. I don't have to look at the dipstick anymore, although I still check it as a good practice, but the level is always at full mark when I add 4 liters. Also, 4 liters always drains out.

I don't really know what my Focus ZX5 specs, but 4 quarts always drains out and 4 quarts gets me to the full mark.

I know, I have usually put in 1 quart less than the manual specs, and checked it a few days later, adding make-up oil about a cup at a time for a few weeks until fill. Too careful? Making sure it never gets over filled. .... You can pull the dipstick immediately after driving and check for the tell-tale oil aeration bubbles on the stick if you think it might be overfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back