Dropbox does not recognize my account

I tried to log in to Dropbox a few days ago, and was unable to. Dropbox does not recognize the associated email, and wants me to create a new account. I've contacted their help desk, but the rep doesn't seem to understand the issue. She seems to think I'm using the wrong email account, which I'm not.

I am reluctant to trust Dropbox going forward, and will consider using a different "cloud" service in future.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

I used Dropbox years ago and liked it a lot. One day it just stopped working and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work. Unistalled, re-installed, cussed, nothing worked. Moved to Microsoft OneDrive and have now used that for several years. But, even OneDrive doesn't sync properly between computers the way I believe it should. I have my files on two PCs at work and my laptop at home. If I do something on one computer at work, it won't always automatically sync to the other computer. I literally have to open OneDrive, pause syncing and then resume syncing and then it functions properly. Dropbox always synced almost instantaneously and that it was I miss most about it.

Could they have deleted your account ? If they do, I doubt they even tell you and definitely don't tell their 1st-level support group as they don't need them telling you "your account was deleted" and then get into a peeing contest with the (former) user.

Could they have deleted your account ? If they do, I doubt they even tell you and definitely don't tell their 1st-level support group as they don't need them telling you "your account was deleted" and then get into a peeing contest with the (former) user.
I had a paid account, and can prove that to them by producing screenshots of old credit-card statements.

I had nothing controversial stored on Dropbox.

It seems odd they would be willing to lose a customer.

I had a paid account, and can prove that to them by producing screenshots of old credit-card statements.
Doesn't help or mean anything

I had nothing controversial stored on Dropbox.
I was going to ask you that as it would be the only thing I think would cause them to delete your account. That or someone had your account details and used it for file-sharing or storing and sharing data you aren't aware of.

It seems odd they would be willing to lose a customer.
They don't care. We're just one customer.

I have not used Dropbox but I had a bear of time getting rid of the Dropbox entry in File Explorer despite Dropbox no longer being installed. I ended up having to edit the Registry:

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace.

I saw a Dropbox file in there and I deleted it. That was the only way of getting rid of the Dropbox folder in File Explorer.

I just don't care for cloud storage. If the data is not in my possession I can't rely on it being accessible to me when I need it.

I use OneDrive for work as part of an office 365 subscription, so it comes with 1TB of storage and integrates pretty nicely with Win10/11. My only issue is when it gets installed, it defaults backup your desktop/documents/downloads to the cloud immediately so you gotta turn that off manually. It must have been a Microsoft policy change because I noticed it happening on all the work computers.

I personally use Google drive. If you're part of the Google ecosystem it works altogether plus you get Google's office suite.

If you're in the Apple ecosystem, I'd use iCloud.

Back