Drop DirecTV for Sling or Apple TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajero
I cut the cord over a year ago. I've save 1,300 so far. I watch Darewatch. All the movies are on this site. They recommend built in apps to block pop up adds etc. Try it and you will love it. Game of Thrones, Star wars, Walking Dead, everything..........My MAC mini is connected to my TV, any computer or streaming device will work.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

What is this Darewatch link you posted? When I click on it, I get all these virus alerts on my computer...

Check out Amazon Prime Video. $99 a year gives you the channels they have plus Prime membership. If you order from Amazon more than not it could be worthwhile. It is also now on Apple TV

For the local channels you need a OTA antenna. $35-40 bucks or so depending on how far you are from the local tv stations.

I got DirecTV Now. Only $35 & I use it on my Fire Stick. Works on my old Chromecast too using the app on my phone. I also got Amazon Prime which includes Prime Video, so I ditched Netflix & just use Amazon's service.

Those "cutting the cord" should also be cognizant of your internet plan's monthly data caps. I think most of the larger national providers have bumped up the cap to about 1TB, which should be sufficient for most folks, but there are some smaller ISPs out there that have much lower caps.

I didn’t have much choice on Internet so I had to go with Xfinity (Comcast). $39.00 a month unlimited for seniors. If you are a senior then this could be a deal until they raise the rates which is inevitable. We definitely need more competition in the internet space.

With all of your "gotta have" channels, you'll need lots of luck saving any money each month.
You won't like it, but I recommend that you cut the cable box completely, put up a broadcast antenna and just watch broadcast TV.
You might have withdrawal symptoms, like an alcoholic giving up his booze, but you'll be much better off.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
With all of your "gotta have" channels, you'll need lots of luck saving any money each month.
You won't like it, but I recommend that you cut the cable box completely, put up a broadcast antenna and just watch broadcast TV.
You might have withdrawal symptoms, like an alcoholic giving up his booze, but you'll be much better off.

I got a couple antennas laying around, so if these streaming services like DirecTV Now or Sling TV start to get expensive like cable, I’ll get rid of them too. This old Radio Shack antenna I got 8 years ago can pick up over 40 channels. My newer flat style antenna only picks up 20 or so channels. Go figure. Old style antennas work better.

We have had sling for a year, my wife watches it daily but I probably watch it once a month.

Usually watch PBS or the news on the antenna, but not much more.

I get 29 channels over the air in the Austin area using a 9 dollar flat wall antenna.

I think I'm going to go with DTV Now. It has almost all of the channels I want. The next thing I have to decide is which streaming device/service I want to go with. DTV Now may be offering a free apple TV or Roku if I subscribe to the service. I don't know what the differences are between the different devices, but I want one that allows you the speak the searches into the remote for all the apps. For example, my daughter has Fire TV, and if she's searching for something on Netflix or on Amazon, I don't remember which, she can just speak the title into the remote. However, if she's searching for something on youtube, she has to use that stupid system where all of the letters and numbers are arranged in a square and you have to arrow to each letter/number and select it. I hate using that thing! It's slow and tedious to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back