Driving up car ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
When driving up car ramps to do any type of maintence on your cars do they slide? When the front tires hit do they slide forward or do they stay put?

They shouldn't slide unless you really mash the pedal going up. The only part I don't like about getting up on ramps is when the tires bump one ramp ahead slightly so you gotta get out and line 'em up again.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I've seen some posts about sliding, I've never experienced it. I think as long as you're not driving on a downgrade, sliding would not be an issue.

I've got a smooth, sealed garage floor. Rubber footed ramps sometimes slip.

If I give them a good kick to wedge them under the tire it helps a bit.

I jam my rhino ramps against the front wheels, hop in the car and drive up the ramps. No slippage has ever occurred, but the ramps got rubber stops and the car got AWD.

The poster above describes the way i've used ramps for the past 30 years or so. Go up slowly, pay attention, apply the emergency brake when you're done. You may want to place a wheel chock behind one of the rear wheels for extra safety when you're done.

When I used to use them, it was always a challenge getting the drive wheels on the ramps. Sometimes it took me 4 or 5 tries before I could get the car up there properly. Once I got so frustrated with them sliding I basically took a running start (of like, 5 mph) and ended up driving over one of the ramps and shooting it out the back of the car and into the back of the garage wall.

After that incident I started putting them on a big piece of cardboard, and it was much easier. I never had a problem putting the rear wheels up on my car, and my dad also used them a few times with his 4x4 and was always able to get it up easily, but it was a huge PITA to get the front wheels up.

I used ramps one time w/o issue, beginners luck I guess. I kicked them under the tires and drove up, no problem. Now I have a 4x4 and was thinking about buying a set. Could you put the 4WD system in 4LO and ease up the ramps? Or would that damage the system since there is no real slip?

Thanks,
Frank D

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Could you put the 4WD system in 4LO and ease up the ramps? Or would that damage the system since there is no real slip?

Nothing to worry about for that small amount of driving.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I used ramps one time w/o issue, beginners luck I guess. I kicked them under the tires and drove up, no problem. Now I have a 4x4 and was thinking about buying a set. Could you put the 4WD system in 4LO and ease up the ramps? Or would that damage the system since there is no real slip?

Thanks,
Frank D

It's a great idea, the low range will help give you massive torque at very low speeds, and "park" will be multiplied and apply to both axles as well. (Still use the e-brake of course.)

Originally Posted By: moribundman
... No slippage has ever occurred, but the ramps got rubber stops and the car got AWD.

Mori's English is slipping, however.
wink.gif

My Yukon kicks them out when it's in 2 wheel drive. If I put it in 4 wheel drive, it goes right up. My wife's front drive Saturn goes up easily also.

I found a trick to prevent ramp slide with rear wheel drive. Use old pieces of carpet under the ramp. It has to be long enough so the tires roll over it before the ramp.

I never had a car slip the ramps until we bought the Odyssey....I would have laughed at someone posting this in the past, but the Ody is a total bear to drive up Rhino ramps....they slip and slip and then you gun it...TOTALLY dangerous.....and without the reflexes of the Grasshopper one can overshoot the ramps!!

Good tip NY Eng!

Metal ramps are a beach when it comes to slipping. I use rhino now.

I use the brake and gas at the same time to control the vehicle. At least with an automatic trans. I bring up the rpms in drive with foot on brake and then ease off the brake to start car moving.

Works well for me and gives better control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back