Driving On Icy Roads With 4 W.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone I work with complained about these big 4wd trucks driving to fast on the roads. He laughed and said they don't have any better traction on the ice than a 2wd. So the question is: Does a 4wd vehicle have better traction than a 2wd and does tire tread matter on ice?

They do not brake any better

(Which is more to the point)

Plus, when you loose traction with 4WD, you can get in a REAL mess!

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Someone I work with complained about these big 4wd trucks driving to fast on the roads. He laughed and said they don't have any better traction on the ice than a 2wd. So the question is: Does a 4wd vehicle have better traction than a 2wd and does tire tread matter on ice?

They have better traction, but they can still slip. 4 wheel drive doesn't help your stopping distance either.

In my neck of the woods I see non 4 wheel driving vehicles going fast while Im the one getting over so i can avoid being hit. Makes sense right?

The Rat has part time 4 WD. It hops on dry pavement when turning. It is okay on the beach and in snow. For crummy weather, snow, torrential rain, hot weather, the Grand Wagoneer of the mid to late 80s is unsurpassed. In AWD, the wags got 10-12 mpg and rode great, if driven moderately. They could go as fast as you wanted in AWD on dry pavement too.

Last edited:
^^ You're gonna break something if you keep driving on dry pavement in 4wd. That "hopping" puts tremendous strain on the 4wd components.

I drove to work about a week ago in 4wd on one particularly icy morning. Having the front wheels pulling me along helped keep the truck straight and reduced fishtailing.

4wd traction is better in almost all situations but stopping in most 4wd trucks are not as good as most 2wd cars..
I am very careful in my 4wd's some people think they are in a 4wd and they can do anything... lol you see them crashing all over lol

My wife likes to say "four wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop." It's a catchy saying, but anything after a model T has four wheel stop.
lol.gif

It prevents the rear wheel fishtail effect that you get in pickup trucks. Think of it as a rear wheel drive "pushing" and a front wheel drive "pulling". When four wheel drive is engaged both the rear pushing effect and front pulling effect are at equilibrium (or at least very close) and the vehicle no longer "fishtails" in poor traction. Four wheel drive vehicles overcome the co-efficient of friction much easier at acceleration, so in that respect they do have better traction. Four wheel drive doesn't make you stick to the road better though, that comes from the tire's/vehicle weight.

Tire Tread Rubber Compound MAKES a huge difference on ice, whether it be 4WD or 2WD.

With that said, I drive a 4WD with snow tires. It does not make me invicable but back to your OP, you would be surprised out here how fast people drive in inclement weather. Mainly 4WD.....but there are some 2WD in snowy/slushy conditions that that they are immune to physics.

My avalanche is 4wd and had great ability to move from a dead stop on ice and snow. I've pulled a few small cars from the ditch with it. It weights about 5800 lbs. It does not stop well and it does not turn well at all due to the inertia. Once you are moving its no better and quite frankly its more of a handful to drive due to the weight. I prefer to drive my olds with studded tires on the front. The advantage of 4wd is traction from a stop and perhaps ground clearance. Other than that you can wreck as easy or easier than smaller vehicles.

Last edited:
We had a bit of ice on the roads here this morning. All the vehicles I saw in the ditches were 4WD/AWD.

Without proper tires, 4WD just means you're spinning 4 wheels instead of two...

Competence is the best thing to have. AWD, winter tires....etc...just enhance a competent driver's ability

I drove 130 miles a day on a thick layer of wet ice with 18" summer tires during the 2011 Super Bowl ice storm.

Lots of 4X4s wiped out on either side of the road. Saw a Subaru trying to get moving unsucessfully through the triangular section between the entrance ramp and freeway.

I also saw a 5-series fly past me on the left. My initial thought was, "there goes a Yankee transplant who brought his winter tires with him." About two miles down the road I saw the 5-er backwards into the dividing wall.

A police Tahoe nearly T-boned me at an intersection. (I had the right of way) He slid around until he got behind me and turned his overhead red and blues on. Sorry cop. I am not stopping until we crest this hill. I got to the top of the hill, looked back, and he's stopped about halfway down at a 45° angle in the left lane. I will never know if he intended to pull me over or just block others from attempting the hill. No warrant came in the mail so I will just assume the latter.

If you are in a state that has winter every year, you probably should have winter tires. They would rot in between legitimate times that I could use them here.

130 miles on thickk wet ice on summer tars ?

There is no f'en way I would have lasted 5 minutes on my Super Sports

What works best on ice would be studded tires. They're legal on any California road between Nov 1 and April 30, as well as when they're approved by the California Highway Patrol Commissioner when the conditions warrant it.

The biggest problem is that they tend to damage the road when it's dry, and they also reduce tire tread contact with the road.

AWD and winter tires inspire too much confidence in really poor conditions and so some drivers simply crash harder as they go to fast for the conditions. Conditions also means other cars that will likely fly into their lane unexpectedly.

I was so irritated the other day. Idiot truck driver sped along passing me finally went off road and jack knifed his truck across a major NH highway closing it for a bit. Thankfully I was able to noodle my way down the slush filled/icy break down lane slowly before the emergency folks appeared.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
AWD and winter tires inspire too much confidence in really poor conditions and so some drivers simply crash harder as they go to fast for the conditions. Conditions also means other cars that will likely fly into their lane unexpectedly.

I was so irritated the other day. Idiot truck driver sped along passing me finally went off road and jack knifed his truck across a major NH highway closing it for a bit. Thankfully I was able to noodle my way down the slush filled/icy break down lane slowly before the emergency folks appeared.

It'll get you going easier and maybe reduce the chance of fishtailing on acceleration. But routine and emergency braking/steering aren't enhanced, and that's where people get into problems. The first time I drove in heavy duty snow was in near whiteout conditions near Lake Tahoe. I saw a large SUV that pounded into a snowbank off the side of the road. I've also seen some insane things in similar conditions, including a truck with chains going about 40 MPH in near whiteout conditions. One the same night I saw a RWD pickup that couldn't get out of a parking lot. There was maybe a short incline for about 3 feet of about 4 inches, and the rear tires kept on slipping trying to get up this tiny incline.

I've also seen other crazy stuff like unwarranted chain conditions, which can result in chains flying off or breaking off. I encountered R2 conditions with a chain checkpoint. It hadn't been called off and my Subaru was checked for front tire tread. But some driver forced to chain up lost a chain along the way and I has to go around it. Sometimes it ends up in the wheel well. I saw a few small patches of slush, and it was getting somewhat warm in the high 30s.

I find adding weight to the bed of my tacoma is more effective than 4x4 alone. Keeping your distance and coasting over overpasses keeps driving straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back