Driving misaligned vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have "toe out" on the front you are really going to feel it especially with driven front wheels.
I would get the alignment.

I replaced a tire rod end and adjusted it by eye. I got it back from the alignment shop and that wheel came out worse after the alignment according to the print out. I went to a renown local who specializes in my make.

You can get it pretty close by eye, especially a professional which I am not.

Last edited:
You won't save any money by waiting. Besides all the other issues, I've seen brand new tires go to the steel cords in less than 5000 mile because they were trying to save a buck.

Last edited:
Put a laser level on your front tire and aim it at the rear so the laser dot just barely misses the rear tire. You can use this to get the alignment real close. Since you have new parts it won't be all jammed/ rusted together. Give it a shot!

And like someone said this can wreck your snow/ wet weather handling. Weight transfer from a toed-in tire to a toed-out will get ya.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It's not surprising that your alignment if off...roads in the Northeast are TERRIBLE despite some of the highest TAXES in the country....DISGRACEFUL.

Relax, he had a worn out tie rod end.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
MadR - Can you feel the alignment out - its usually VERY noticeable.

You can get the toe pretty close if you have a flat driveway with string. But seeing you went to a shop to get a tierod, I guess you'd not be inclined to do a shade tree alignment.

Wonder if anything else was damaged/bent?

You may know the local mechanic(Scott Harlow) I am guessing he did a shade tree on it and put the sticker on it after some other work. He is extremely affordable and fair/honest to do that kind of repair for my work/life balance.

I only noticed the MDX drives a ton better with fixed tie rod, I was getting weird jerk driving at random times with apparently broken tie rod.
I know Scott.. He is my Subaru Insider. He's down off RT27 near Exeter.

Good mechanic. An yes he does not have a Rack. But most guys around there don't know how to use it or don't care and many are WAY WAY out of cal. I recall Exater Subaru didn't have a rack either when he was Service Mgr there in the 90's.

900 for tires! Yikes! Id be doing discount tire direct and then going to the Honda dealer for an install. That was always my cheapest option.

Good luck and nice truck ( I hear).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back