Driving for Uber as Retirement Gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of Lyft and Uber, go to your County School District and learn how to drive a school bus that transports Special Needs and Handicapped kids. It pays decent money, has wonderful medical benefits and offers you summers off (option). Besides, it's rewarding helping the needy and that's what I've done since retiring from the beer business a few years ago.

I work summers, get two weeks off at the end of June - another two weeks around Labor Day - another 10 days around Christmas Holidays and another 7-10 days around Easter. Our school district is called Macomb Intermediate School District (MISD).

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by grampi
I can't imagine working period after I retire...I think that's called not being retired...to me, being retired means that ALL of my time belongs to me now...

My thoughts also. I retired in 2007 and never had a desire to go back to work. I have plenty to keep me occupied.

I will have plenty to do as well. Between traveling, grandkids, the wife, taking care of the house, playing with my Corvette, my home theater system, and any other hobbies I decide to take up, I will have plenty of things to occupy my time...besides, I don't need the extra income...

What do Best Buy Geek Squad employees make part-time? I could do that. I.T. experience, love computer, phone, etc.

14 of the 30 yrs on my job have been in fraud investigations, seven yrs investigating followed by seven yrs supervising and managing. But I'd rather step away from that industry for a while if not permanently. Would take big bucks to lure me back into that field in a 2nd career type of gig, or consulting arrangement.

I will have plenty to do as well. Between traveling, grandkids, the wife, taking care of the house, playing with my Corvette

Hang on a second grampi, is this your official announcement telling us that you bought a C5? Tell us more!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Patman

I will have plenty to do as well. Between traveling, grandkids, the wife, taking care of the house, playing with my Corvette

Hang on a second grampi, is this your official announcement telling us that you bought a C5? Tell us more!
smile.gif

Nope, just means I WILL have one...

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm looking forward to the announcement when you do get one grampi!
banana2.gif

Believe me, so am I...

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Chick Fil A is much than Uber for a retired person.

I'm not kidding. ☺

True-$13.00 an hour here. That's about what one would make driving Uber-if one doesn't lose money through auto expenses. I have seen many "mature folk" working at Chick Fil A.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
What do Best Buy Geek Squad employees make part-time? I could do that. I.T. experience, love computer, phone, etc.

Maybe Apple store, Geek Squad, hospital IT dept, etc...

While I think Uber and Lyft are exploitative(and from what I've heard from someone who works at Uber as a machinist for their Otto arm, they hustled their employees while Travis Kalanick was CEO), some of the best rides on either I've gotten were from retirees who are doing it just to keep busy.

I've had an ex-Marine vet tell me a story about him throwing out someone from his car and giving that person a Marines-style lesson on etiquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back