Driver's door fault

Yuk

Why does my 2011 Ford Focus think it's driver's door is ajar, when temps rise above Freezing? At -5˚C and colder, no problem. At around 0˚C the fault light comes on and the antitheft alarm goes off without provocation.

I’ve had issues with door sensors. One required a tight physical connection to the door to complete an electrical connection. When open the electrical connection was considered “closed”. I had to bend back the mount for a. Have also had issues when a toggle was out of alignment with the rubber cover and was seen as open.

Reactions: Yuk
Why does my 2011 Ford Focus think it's driver's door is ajar, when temps rise above Freezing? At -5˚C and colder, no problem. At around 0˚C the fault light comes on and the antitheft alarm goes off without provocation.

first try some contact spray in the plugs between door and body, just in case there's corrosion or water in there causing a bad connection. If no change, you would need a new lock, there's a switch in there that's acting up.

Reactions: Yuk
first try some contact spray in the plugs between door and body, just in case there's corrosion or water in there causing a bad connection. If no change, you would need a new lock, there's a switch in there that's acting up.
Spraying done... many times, over several weeks. Based on my research, the front door latch assembly is basically non-existent.
I was hoping someone would come up with some other solution. Such is life. Cheers

may be a stretch, but in every 11-14 F150 in the fleet i’ve had to repair the wires in the flex section between the door and body. the wires break at the connector and cause a “door ajar” message.

I’ve had issues with door sensors. One required a tight physical connection to the door to complete an electrical connection. When open the electrical connection was considered “closed”. I had to bend back the mount for a. Have also had issues when a toggle was out of alignment with the rubber cover and was seen as open.
Were any of these issues affected by ambient temperature?

may be a stretch, but in every 11-14 F150 in the fleet i’ve had to repair the wires in the flex section between the door and body. the wires break at the connector and cause a “door ajar” message.
Good thought, but I think that's unlikely. Particularly because the most repeatable event that causes the door to fault is warm ambient temperature. Once the outside temperature drops below -5˚C, the problem disappears.

Were any of these issues affected by ambient temperature?

I was thinking maybe the electrical contact might be an issue, where it might contract with colder temperatures. Another issue might be corrosion, where just unscrewing and reconnecting screws might scrape off and restore the electrical connection. A lot of electrical issues seem to be worse when it's cold.

I was thinking maybe the electrical contact might be an issue, where it might contract with colder temperatures. Another issue might be corrosion, where just unscrewing and reconnecting screws might scrape off and restore the electrical connection. A lot of electrical issues seem to be worse when it's cold.
Well, you might be correct, ✅ except this problem gets better with cold temps, not worse. :-/

Well, you might be correct, ✅ except this problem gets better with cold temps, not worse. :-/

How dissimilar metals move with respect to temperature could be an issue. I'm just saying if there's some sort of door switch, I'd suggest finding out how to remove and inspect it. And of course it will scrape off corrosion in the process. But it depends on the particular design of the switch.

Absolutely, there is a definite correlation. The drivers door fault alert ("Driver's Door Open") has not appeared in 2 months. Today the ambient temperature rose to +4˚C and the fault came back.

I am not saying that this correlation equals causation, I'm just acknowledging that it is unquestionably connected to the fault.

Are you sure the temperature is really related??
Absolutely, there is a definite correlation. The drivers door fault alert ("Driver's Door Open") has not appeared in 2 months. Today the ambient temperature rose to +4˚C and the fault came back.

I am not saying that this correlation equals causation, I'm just acknowledging that it is unquestionably connected to the fault.

That’s fair. The occurrence when it’s colder throws me off. I’d think when it’s warmer/moister/etc…

Maybe the insulation on some worn wire is exposed because of thermal contraction???

That’s fair. The occurrence when it’s colder throws me off. I’d think when it’s warmer/moister/etc…

Maybe the insulation on some worn wire is exposed because of thermal contraction???
You have it backwards. It occurs when it's warm outside, not cold.😀

Back