Dreaded Annual Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my 2008 2500 Ram inspected by the local Chrysler dealer knowing it needed ball joints.
6.7 L diesel. Auto trans. 4 wheel drive.
$3400.00 later I got my sticker.
Thanks WV and Chrysler.
All new ball joints both sides.
New tie rod ends.
New steering gear assy, had a small leak.
New rear brake rotors and brake pads.
New u-joint front passenger side.

Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Just had my 2008 2500 Ram inspected by the local Chrysler dealer knowing it needed ball joints.
Thanks WV and Chrysler.
New tie rod ends.

Sheeeeeeesh, $3400!

Curious, how many miles on it?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No CEL it passes. Typically I'm in and out in less than 5 minutes. My van is safety only, that passes in even less time. I always thought the rolling road dyno inspection was a bit more of a PITA.

Mine are in and out too but that’s the newer ones But it’s that stupid check engine light on older cars that needlessly costs people hundreds of thousands of dollars a year while mechanics rake in the cash. My favorite is the dreaded gas cap / fuel vent flapper code.
First thing you need if you have an older car in New York is an OBD 2reader . you then time it after you reset it and get the thing inspected before it throws again and you’re good for another year until you go through the stupidity again. The secret is finding a garage that will play the game with you . My advice is if you find a mechanic who is willing to play that game with you you better make him your best buddy and he’s going to save you much time, money and grief.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks WV and Chrysler.
New tie rod ends.

Sheeeeeeesh, $3400!

101500 Miles. Last year I had the Turbo go bad at 99k Miles. $5k for that job
Oil is changed every 5k Miles with 5W-40 synthetic Valvoline.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks WV and Chrysler.
New tie rod ends.

Sheeeeeeesh, $3400!

101500 Miles. Last year I had the Turbo go bad at 99k Miles. $5k for that job
mad.gif

WoW, that's an expensive repair, in both cases.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
NY is also twice a year IIRC but they aren't a rust state. That was a lot better.

When did NY go to twice a year? When I lived there it was only once a year.

Last year I had the Turbo go bad at 99k Miles. $5k for that job
mad.gif

You need to learn to do some of your own basic repairs.

There are a lot of things I hate about CT, but I'm glad we don't have inspections. Anyone with a light out will get pulled over fairly quickly in my area. We do have emissions every 2 years or so.

If exhausts are loud and falling off or if you have some obvious damage to your vehicle you can be pulled over and issued a fix-it ticket.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Last year I had the Turbo go bad at 99k Miles. $5k for that job
mad.gif

You need to learn to do some of your own basic repairs.

Not sure if I'd say the turbo on a Cummins is a basic repair. DIY'able yes, but not basic.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
There are a lot of things I hate about CT, but I'm glad we don't have inspections. Anyone with a light out will get pulled over fairly quickly in my area. We do have emissions every 2 years or so.

If exhausts are loud and falling off or if you have some obvious damage to your vehicle you can be pulled over and issued a fix-it ticket.

IMO, ^that's far better than having an annual inspection, still being pulled over and issued a ticket
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Driz
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No CEL it passes. Typically I'm in and out in less than 5 minutes. My van is safety only, that passes in even less time. I always thought the rolling road dyno inspection was a bit more of a PITA.

Mine are in and out too but that’s the newer ones But it’s that stupid check engine light on older cars that needlessly costs people hundreds of thousands of dollars a year while mechanics rake in the cash. My favorite is the dreaded gas cap / fuel vent flapper code.
First thing you need if you have an older car in New York is an OBD 2reader . you then time it after you reset it and get the thing inspected before it throws again and you’re good for another year until you go through the stupidity again. The secret is finding a garage that will play the game with you . My advice is if you find a mechanic who is willing to play that game with you you better make him your best buddy and he’s going to save you much time, money and grief.

MA gets rid of emissions testing after 15 years. So they don't care that you have a CEL on.

Anyway, they're on to that clearing the code trick, car has to be in a ready state before it can pass. Usually it only takes a day or two of driving to get to that state. But you can't clear it and expect to pass just before taking it in.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wish they did annual inspections in Ohio to get some of the junk fixed or off the road.

You've got to be kidding, right? You actually WANT the government MORE involved in everybody's life than it already is?

Hard to believe this. Watch out what you wish for. Thankfully we don't have that garbage going on here...YET. Emission inspections (complete hogwash) are bad enough.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I wish they did annual inspections in Ohio to get some of the junk fixed or off the road.

You've got to be kidding, right? You actually WANT the government MORE involved in everybody's life than it already is?

Hard to believe this. Watch out what you wish for. Thankfully we don't have that garbage going on here...YET. Emission inspections (complete hogwash) are bad enough.

What if a single mother can't afford to get everything fixed on her old minivan ?

Originally Posted By: grampi

I'm glad OH did away with the inspections. It would be one thing if the inspections kept the junky vehicles off the roads, but more times than not, they use these inspections to fail vehicles for stupid things that have absolutely no bearing on safety or emissions...They kind of remind me of HOAs...yes, they may keep the junk cars from being a permanent fixture in someone's driveway, but they also tell you what color you can paint your house...

Right so no one paints their house purple. And yes someone did that in an area by me.

I see a fair amount of junk at the charity car lot. A good 30% of them go to the junk yard, another third are cherry picked to go to used car lots, preferred buyers, etc and the remaining third go on the car lot for sale. So they usually have some sort of issues like brakes, exhaust, alternator etc.

Was recently checking out one car that was an 05, a little dirty on the inside, nice exterior, checked windshield for oil change sticker and it was 7k over. So 12k on bulk oil and a jobber oil filter. Bottom of ds was grimy, had to wipe it real good. Then just a drop of black oil on the tip. Went back a few weeks later with some top off oil in case it was still there(it was) so the engine wouldn't seize. Went on a Sunday when they weren't open but premises are monitored by camera so they can come see me if there's an issue. Plus they want $3188 for it so no wonder it's sitting there. I'm kind of tempted to go back when they're open to see if I can do a proper oil change on it. I have some cheap oil on hand that I bought on clearance for .75/qt full synthetic at AA.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: andrewg

What if a single mother can't afford to get everything fixed on her old minivan ?

They don't care. Windows, orphans, the elderly on fixed incomes, doesn't matter, as with all government mandates its do what we say or else. The people that think we need more of that are the truly dangerous ones, they will happily take us down the road to totalitarianism.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Then she shouldn't drive an unsafe car on the streets and endanger the rest of the driving public. Driving is a privilege, not a right. You agree to abide by the rules when driving. Being single and a mother were not choices the rest of the driving public made for her.

Any other questions?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Then she shouldn't drive an unsafe car on the streets and endanger the rest of the driving public. Driving is a privilege, not a right. You agree to abide by the rules when driving. Being single and a mother were not choices the rest of the driving public made for her.

Any other questions?

I do as a matter of fact. You also agreed to abide by the rules when completing mortgage loan applications for rental properties. But for some reason you didn't do that. Pot, meet kettle.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Any other questions?

I do as a matter of fact. You also agreed to abide by the rules when completing mortgage loan applications for rental properties. But for some reason you didn't do that. Pot, meet kettle.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand. And for the record all my rental properties were purchased as rental properties. You may have an issue distinguishing what goes on in the industry and what each person actually does.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: grampi

I'm glad OH did away with the inspections. It would be one thing if the inspections kept the junky vehicles off the roads, but more times than not, they use these inspections to fail vehicles for stupid things that have absolutely no bearing on safety or emissions...They kind of remind me of HOAs...yes, they may keep the junk cars from being a permanent fixture in someone's driveway, but they also tell you what color you can paint your house...

Right so no one paints their house purple. And yes someone did that in an area by me.

I'll take my chances...I'm not having someone else tell me what I will do or not do with my belongings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back