Donut spares - buy from a junkyard?

I had to put on the donut spare on the parent’s van just to move it around the block. It’s shot, cracked and dry rotted. The OE Firestone one is NLA, TireRack sells another size for $300. I see a Falken for $105 at TireRack that will fit.

I’m thinking of going to the junkyard and finding one in good shape that was stored in a trunk. Good idea?

Yes if it's only a couple years old. I have never purchased a new spare tire and have not had a blowout or bad leak that couldn't be fixed easily. I did have a bad spare on a boat trailor that I replaced because it was starting to weather check badly. If you could do a trade with a salvage yard and get a nice one with a rim and trade in your old one for about $30.00 it would be cost effective. Personally my 2012 Civic has a small spare and rim and it still looks good because the sun doesn't beat down on it. If your parents are not driving long distances I would try to save money and go the salvage route.

I got mine off eBay for my 1984 Isuzu really cheap and it still looks new. Make sure you jot down the correct tire size before you order. I had it installed from a mom & pop tire shop for less than $10.00

Yes if it's only a couple years old. I have never purchased a new spare tire and have not had a blowout or bad leak that couldn't be fixed easily. I did have a bad spare on a boat trailor that I replaced because it was starting to weather check badly. If you could do a trade with a salvage yard and get a nice one with a rim and trade in your old one for about $30.00 it would be cost effective. Personally my 2012 Civic has a small spare and rim and it still looks good because the sun doesn't beat down on it. If your parents are not driving long distances I would try to save money and go the salvage route.
Yea, all this spare needs to do is get them home/Costco/safe place for a tow/tire shop. I don’t see a reason to drop $300+ on a spare.

There isn’t much clearance to install a full-size spare, else I would have grabbed a steelie from Pick & Pull and a Chinese tire from a mom & pop shop(nearest Walmart TLE is 40 miles away - else, I’d get a Douglas instead).

The junkyard will probably rake you over the coals because they sense you "need it."

I'd find a private party. But realistically if you don't want to gamble on your own donut why would you gamble on someone else's? Get a new tire-- they're out there, and expensive.

I'd find a private party. But realistically if you don't want to gamble on your own donut why would you gamble on someone else's? Get a new tire-- they're out there, and expensive.
on eBay, I’ve found a seller selling a spare off a Corolla Cross - same tire size. $85, open for bids. On TireRack, cheapest I’ve found is a Falken, made in Indonesia. I figure $25-30 for install at a corner tire shop.

Get a regular wheel from teh junkyard or something, and replace that stupid donut with a full-size spare :D
No clearance, it’s a 2005 Sienna. There would be about 3-4” of clearance with a full-size, which isn’t enough room to breathe with the roads here. Exhaust is also in close proximity.

Paid $20 at an LKQ U-pull-it for my Taurus spare.

130.JPG

There only rated for like 100 miles, so if you do get one used make sure its pretty much new. Should be pretty easy to tell.

Post a WTB add on facebook in your area - who know. I have the one off my 2019 Rav4 taking up space. I swapped it for a full size spare and haven't had the heart to throw it out - but that day is coming - tired of looking at it.

Whats the issue with the Falcon. Just too much $$ ??

Doughnut spares that have NEVER been put to use at all still have the original protection coating on the outside surface of the tire, including the section that touches the road.

Once that protection is worn off, and it does not take many miles to do that, then the tire ages much faster.

So, if getting one from a junkyard, look for one that still has that finish on the sections that contacts the road.

I had to put on the donut spare on the parent’s van just to move it around the block. It’s shot, cracked and dry rotted. The OE Firestone one is NLA, TireRack sells another size for $300. I see a Falken for $105 at TireRack that will fit.

I’m thinking of going to the junkyard and finding one in good shape that was stored in a trunk. Good idea?
i would see if the spare tire well can take a full size spare. if not i would look on craigslist or other buy sell before i buy a new one

All these post on donuts say they are only good for a few miles, here is what my owners manual says for my Buick.

The compact spare is made to
perform well at speeds up to 65 mph (105 km/h)
for distances up to 3,000 miles (5 000 km), so you can
finish your trip and have the full-size tire repaired or
replaced at your convenience.

Not sure I would trust it that far (3000 miles) and would certainly get the bad tire fixed as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I've bought several compact spares from the junkyard. Totally unused, although usually several years old. Typically $15-$20 all day long.

All these post on donuts say they are only good for a few miles, here what my owners manual says for my Buick.

The compact spare is made to
perform well at speeds up to 65 mph (105 km/h)
for distances up to 3,000 miles (5 000 km), so you can
finish your trip and have the full-size tire repaired or
replaced at your convenience.

Not sure I would trust it that far (3000 miles) and would certainly get the bad tire fixed as soon as possible.

I think there's a lot of misinformation out there. I remember coming across a few posts saying the donut is good for many miles if used properly.

I had to drive a donut for around 300 miles a few weeks ago. It was set to 60PSI and 50miles/h was never exceeded.

Everything was closed on a Sunday in Quebec so there was little choice.

The damaged tire was on the front axle. Since my car is FWD, I swapped the damaged one with the rear tire and put the spare on the back.

eBay has it for a few bucks less than tire rack, would have to confirm date of production with the seller
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234068691811

I see the 2022 corolla cross uses the same size spare T155/80D17 but the load rating is 101M instead of 100M. It says it's 17X4 so if it fits on the Sienna too, you might have better luck finding fresh rubber at a junkyard

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195458375735

Don't purchase a used spare if it has been mounted outside the vehicle (pickups, vans, and some SUVs). If it comes from a vehicle where the spare has been mounted inside the vehicle or trunk it will be fine.

on eBay, I’ve found a seller selling a spare off a Corolla Cross - same tire size. $85, open for bids. On TireRack, cheapest I’ve found is a Falken, made in Indonesia. I figure $25-30 for install at a corner tire shop.
Most corner tire shops can't mount a donut spare. Discount Tire can and charges $10. They told me that it didn't need to be balanced.

Back