Dollar Tree Synthetic Blend Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks okay with solid starting TBN courtesy of the nice dose of calcium.
Even an effective treat rate of moly, which you won't find in any ST oil.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks like a perfectly serviceable oil despite the silly trash talk from those saying that they wouldn't use it to lube a funnel.
The odd package size is obviously intended to meet the retail price point.
At a buck a quart, this oil would be a real deal. At a buck for 16 oz, it would be okay for those who never plan ahead. At a buck for 11 oz, it's a poor value.
Dollar Tree does offer some real deals. This isn't one of them.

I wonder how many engines will be under filled because people don't read the volume?

Now that is something one might expect to see. Change the filter and pour in 5 bottles and you're good to pull the camper into mountain country!

Originally Posted By: gallydif
A Dollar Tree recently opened up by me and I had never been to one so decided to check it out. I was amazed! Everything is literally a $1 unliek family dollar. I feel bad for the mom and pop corner stores around here though, dollar tree will probably take business away from them. Anyways, being the bitog person I am, I had check the auto section. They have windshield washer fluid in the same size as walmart for $1 which is cheaper than walmart. I bought a bottle.

I ran across their motor oil. Little 11oz bottles ha. 3 of those make a quart. It's $1 a bottle obviously, so $15 for 5 quarts. Not that good. It says synthetic blend though and SN gf-5. Here are some pics of it. Thoughts?

Family Dollar stores has Dollar Tree licked then cause they got freaking QSAD, this ain't your mom and pops synthetics, in some unicorn weights like 10w-30 and 10w-40 no less as well as some 5ws and I thought that was totally awesome. I even saw plenty of QS Defy High Mileage and I am thinking this is un-be-weave-able.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks okay with solid starting TBN courtesy of the nice dose of calcium.
Even an effective treat rate of moly, which you won't find in any ST oil.

Yeah, I see nothing out of the ordinary with the numbers. I'll probably use it in some less vital outdoor power equipment because partially filled mini bottles take up substantially less room.

Got it ! Fill my oil can for mower wheels and keep the bottle to measure good oil for 7 HP motor ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Got it ! Fill my oil can for mower wheels and keep the bottle to measure good oil for 7 HP motor ...

Depending on the equipment it's sometimes not worth investing more in oil. My son bought one of those el cheapo Murray push mowers to mow my neighbor's front yard. The thing was $75. I'm not about to dump oil in that costs anything more than necessary. A semi synthetic that has the starburst and passes the PQIA tests is fine. I'll save my Mobil 1 for the tractors and such. I also have a garbage picked John Deere Tricycler mower, I've never even changed the oil! I suppose this would be better than the sludge in there.

It has uses. I'm not afraid to use it, this isn't City Star.

When I had my 84 Crown Vic back in the day I used to buy that Accel SF oil they had at Wal-Mart for it because it leaked quite a bit. It worked perfectly fine.

Cheap oils have their place presuming they pass the necessary tests.

Last edited:
On clearance I got M1 & QSUD (and others) for the same price as this stuff ...
ST is the cheaper oil I'd sooner trust at full price ...

On clearance I got M1 & QSUD (and others) for the same price as this stuff ...
ST is the cheaper oil I'd sooner trust at full price ...

Of course I'd got tons of clearance stuff stockpiled myself. I think the most redeeming factor of this stuff is the bottle size. Nearly all those newer Briggs & Stratton engines take 15.5oz, Chinese ones rarely take over 20 (and almost all want 10w30). It simply eliminates partial quarts all over the garage (heck I was just combining some this afternoon). I did actually open one of these to top off my 93 Grand Marquis as it was a tad low, it looks and pours like any other fresh 10w30 not weird City Star stuff. PQIA's tests of the 5W30 look perfectly fine, it's got the starburst, I just don't see anything terribly worrisome about it price in line with the lower end of cheap normal priced oils. I'm not really afraid to use it, I'm just not going to be dumping it in brand new vehicles or expensive equipment.

I remember when dollar tree had trop arctic quarts. That was a good deal.

Also Big Lots used to have valvoline, or havoline quarts for a good price. Now neither place is a good deal.

My oil comes from Amazon or Walmart, I haven't found anyone else even close on price if you are buying without rebates.

Went to SMB website - they have white bottles of GF-4 (not black and GF-5 like the dollar store) ...
Could not figure much else out - are they just a middle man for a Warren or ?

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I rather use Walmarts Super Tech Conventoinal oil at less hen $2.50 a quart simply because i know who blends it.
Runner up would be Havoline at around the same price.
Bottom line as said, an SN oil is an SN oil.

Yep SuperTech Syn is $17.47 and there are many UOAs to prove it's quality here.

Went to SMB website - they have white bottles of GF-4 (not black and GF-5 like the dollar store) ...
Could not figure much else out - are they just a middle man for a Warren or ?

Looks like they might have different types.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?companyId=11317

Address is just a suite, probably a rebranded Warren product.

I doubt Dollar Tree wanted any sort of publicity with old spec oil like the publicity Dollar General had so they just sought a supplier who would sell them one that would be up to date, but in smaller sized bottles to meet the price point.

It seems like the landscape has changed between these dollar chains and their sale of motor oil. I don't doubt that the Dollar General fiasco played a part in it. Big Lots now seems to only sell Peak or Warren oils for $2.00 more a quart than they did a year ago while my local 99 Cent Store had Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic and Phillips 66 Shield Synth blend for $2.99/qt. As mentioned, Dollar Tree totally abandoned selling full quarts in favor of the smaller top-off sized bottles that lists GF-5 but nothing else.

If the PQIA site is any indication, it looks like I have to go to the Chicagoland area to get some bad oil.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My oil comes from Amazon or Walmart, I haven't found anyone else even close on price if you are buying without rebates.

No Napas nearby?
smile.gif

They run their house brand synthetic oil on sale a few times a year for $2.99/qt. It's not on sale now, but the sales are frequent enough for you to count on it being on sale every OCI. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
It seems like the landscape has changed between these dollar chains and their sale of motor oil. I don't doubt that the Dollar General fiasco played a part in it. Big Lots now seems to only sell Peak or Warren oils for $2.00 more a quart than they did a year ago while my local 99 Cent Store had Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic and Phillips 66 Shield Synth blend for $2.99/qt. As mentioned, Dollar Tree totally abandoned selling full quarts in favor of the smaller top-off sized bottles that lists GF-5 but nothing else.

If the PQIA site is any indication, it looks like I have to go to the Chicagoland area to get some bad oil.

There are some no name discount stores here and one if them carries MotorGuard or one of those [censored] oils so they're out there. Sometimes I run across weird stuff at independent service stations, but even those don't look overly suspicious. I suspect it remains confined mostly to major metropolitan areas where it is too hard to police all the service stations. I found a website where you could order City Star for $12 a case, so even if they sell it for $2 a quart the markup is insane, so it's easy to see why places would sell it.

It's much safer for the retailer from a litigation standpoint though, GF-5 SN rated 10W30 is unlikely to ruin much if you use it as a top off even if it's the wrong weight as it's a small quantity, by then your oil is probably . On its own if it's the right weight it's fine. Some with lots of small power equipment will appreciate the small bottles so you don't have partial quarts and most Chinese engines take 10W30.

The biggest thing I miss about the non detergent SAE 30 weight at Dollar General is I used to put it in snowblower housings to keep them from rusting. There is no point spending a penny more than necessary for such an application.

Looks like good oil for making door hinge squeaks go away, filter gasket oil, and something to soak rusty bicycle chains in. That's about it though for me, no use for oil in 11oz bottles for anything else.

There's not one person in this thread that's gonna use that oil. Alotta calories burned at the finger tips for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back