doing a thermostat, what coolant for the camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta do a thermostat on the 96 camry. Seems like i dont have any coolant laying around.

I'm going to do a drain and fill as well, last time coolant was drained and fill was during the timing belt change at 100k. No clue what was put in there but it is green.

I used to buy w/e is on sale, but since join BITOG ive been stepping up all my fluids when the time came. I've never seen a peak global jug. I wanted to give the Zerex asian a shot, but that is redish and i dont wanna mix much, i'm not a fan of 50/50 gallons.

Current sale locally is Peak Long Life, says it covers all current makes and models. I like it for $7 a gal. phosphate-free and silicate-free formula

Last edited:
Flush it well and use G05, typically available at NAPA among other places. I would not use Peak LL or any of the AMAM coolants as they tend to be dexclones with 2EHA.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in 96 Toyota was still using good old green for their antifreeze. They didnt make the switch to red till sometime in the 2000s. I say use good old green when you do your work

It was green when i bought the car used around 2000.

Is this peak long life a "good old green"?

How diffrent is OEM toyota red VS nissan green/blue ? Aside from color, they should have roughly the same formula right? I cant find the formula info on either, other then hearsay.

I do remember having a coupon for infiniti parts and i figure i can see how much they want to rape me for nissan coolant. Should be $20 or so.

Most OTC antifreeze now a days is some form of a "dexclone." This is Prestone and Peak LL. Don't buy anything that states it is all makes and all models. G-05 is not the case. I believe NAPA and Zerex still make traditional green coolant that you can use.

In terms of Asian coolant I am not sure if they are different from Japanese brand to brand but Zerex Asian is red and is supposed to work in most applications. If you google Zerex antifreeze coolant application chart it will tell you what to use for your other applications.

What I would like to know,how can a company like Prestone get away with their "all brands" coolant if it really isnt made for "all" vehicles.What if someone put some in a warranty vehicle....and it did damage? Obviously the warranty would be void,and now Prestone would be held liable.I would think OEM car makers would paste warning stickers in owners manuals..."NEVER use Prestone All Brand Coolant."

I went to G-05 in my 94 Camry and 93 Suburban, both I assume had old green from the factory. Its compatible with old green so you do not have to be super picky about a thorough flush.

Avoid DexCool for your vehicle and Dexclones (all mkes/all models). Peak Global would be fine, Zerex Asian or G-05 or JD CG II.

I liked the idea of multiple vehicles using the same coolant. Now I have 2 Chrysler vehicles.

As other have said, avoid the all makes/all models. Leave that to people who run low and buy antifreeze at 7-11 or similar. Its better than overheating, but not much.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in 96 Toyota was still using good old green for their antifreeze. They didnt make the switch to red till sometime in the 2000s. I say use good old green when you do your work

I think Toyota started using the LongLife red coolant around '88 or maybe '87. Most people did replace it with original green in the past when they added or changed the coolant though. Red is a non-silicate, non-borate with phosphate and benzoate formula probably pretty clsoe to what Zerex AVF is.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

I think Toyota started using the LongLife red coolant around '88 or maybe '87. Most people did replace it with original green in the past when they added or changed the coolant though. Red is a non-silicate, non-borate with phosphate and benzoate formula probably pretty clsoe to what Zerex AVF is.

Then I'd go with the Zerex Asian.

My Dad's Camry was a 94 and I never heard him talk about changing the coolant and when I got it there was green in it. I am thinking it came from the factory with old green.

Like you, not a fan of premix coolants. Don't like paying for half water, and it's basically only good for radiator drain and fill. Color less a factor.

As you alluded to, whatever you use will be mixed with the green, likely original green. If your gaskets are compatible, Peak Long Life could be just fine. If you knew that the green was original green, some Zerex Original Green low silicated full strength and distilled water would work well too.

My preference would be do a complete distilled water flush series, get most of the old coolant out, use a full strength coolant of my choice, and mix with distilled to ~50% concentration. But, that's just me.

Like most things with coolant, doesn't seem to be a simple answer, lot's of ifs. Fyi, full strength PGL is sold at Napa, here they can have it overnight with no extra charge.

I just remembered when i first got this thing, the radiator blew so i have i non-oem radiator put in at a local shop. So most likely its w/e cheap-o green they had and its been about 10-12 years now on that. Car doesn't see much driving anymore. I'm just going to do Zerex asian fleet or PGL depend on price.

what are your local prices?

Peak Long Life is a Dexclone and to be avoided. If you go with Peak, get Peak Global.

I would avoid a Dexclone at all costs for all vehicles. If your vehicle came from the factory with Dexcool, use a real Dexcool, not an all makes/all models clone.

If it did not come with Dexcool from the factory, then stick with something close to what the vehicle came with or Peak Global.

Or splurge and go with JD CG II.

I would just get the Toyota full strength red and flush out the mystery green stuff. My 89 came with the red from the factory so I would assume yours did also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back