Does Warren still make the Supertech Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Peter_480
We can now get Amalie in disguise up here ever since AAP switched the Carquest brand over to Amalie from WPP. Too bad it's still more expensive than ST/Amalie in Florida.

Walmart Supertech synthetic is what I usually buy here in Florida, now that i know Amalie makes it. You can't beat the price on it, & it's a quality product. Didn't know Advance Auto Parts also switched to Amalie. Nice to know for when Advance has a Carquest oil change special with a free filter.

Super Tech oils & transmission fluids in my area appear to be made by Citgo. This is a disadvantage vs. Warren since Citgo's Trasnsgard LV ATF (and Super Tech MV LV ATF in this area) has no licenses vs. Warren's which carries both GM Dexron VI & Ford Mercon LV licenses. I can order Warren manufactured ST MV LV ATF via Walmart.com and have it delivered free to a local store in 2 business days though.

After a couple years of Citgo, it looks like Walmarts around Austin are switching back to Warren (WPP/WSE) supplied Super Tech.
Generally not a big deal except we've got quarts of the Warren licensed LV ATF in a couple stores now- no gallons yet.
3Bq0sLi.jpg

5zWk2rd.jpg

The ST oil here in TN is made by WPP, too. It and Carquest are very close in price if you buy a filter. I recently got a Purolator Boss with the special for $2 more. At that price, it's not worth going to Walmart.

Probably Lubrizol is the common denominator behind both Warren & Amalie sourced SuperTech oil. Guessing, could be Afton or Oronite though.

Check the dexos1 license number on the back of the bottle and maybe match it up with the numbers listed on the dexos approved website to see if they are actually one of Amalie's or Warren's numbers. If the dexos1 license number is the same as the Walmart-assigned number, then Walmart uses the same DI package for every Supertech oil, regardless of which blending plant (Amalie or Warren) they hire on a particular day.

About Amalie, they also make "born2run" branded oil. Do they have to pay royalties to The Boss (Bruce) for every bottle? Purolator is currently locked in a legal battle with Bruce for their Boss oil filter. (kidding!)

If it still meets Dexos 1 standard than it is good stuff regardless of the supplier. If I recall AOM is Amalie so I figure regionally that would be the blender of the bottle in the picture

For what it's worth, I was reading on the net and a Amalie employee in the bottling plant said that no formulation changes occurred on the line. They would run Wolf's Head synthetic, then Supertech synthetic, then Carquest synthetic, and other store brands and the oil in every bottle was exactly the same - no changing formulas for different buyers.

So Supertech syn is identical to Wolf's Head syn (if bottled by Amalie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back