does sealant work as well than RainX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know the answer to your question, but with the last couple of bottles of Rain-X performing so poorly for me, I am certainly considering going a different route as well.

There are some excellent products out there now including coatings. One thing to consider is that everything must be in optimal condition. The windshield must be very clean, the wiper blades have to be in good working order and clean as well.

Living in western Washington I find that using a quality cleaner like 1Z Einzett Scheibenklar is one part of keeping a clear windshield. Use it full strength to initially clean and dilute it to add to your reservoir. Clean the wiper blades with it as well.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-921410.html

I have clayed both my windshield and the wife's car's before application the last few times, and it still seems to barely work at first and then not at all after a minimal amount of time. I don't remember the product being this iffy back in the day, maybe i'm just old and crusty now, but if I didn't know any better I'd say there was some skulduggery afoot.

After watching a Scotty video, I started using RainX windshield washer fluid. I like it. It leaves a nice little coating to make the water bead right off.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Aquapel is a product made by ppl that is very good. Apply like rainx but lasts longer.

I WAS a "long time" RainX user...The only people who use RainX are people who haven't tried Aquapel. It is patented by PPG and makes RainX look like child's play by comparison.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquapel-Glass-Treatment-By-PGW-12-Single-Use-Applicators-PPG/332134128936?epid=1737826375&hash=item4d54bc9d28:g:LiEAAOSwRLZaXjsK:rk:2:pf:0

i find a newly purchase RainX does not work at all. My 20 year bottle i just finished worked great. Not sure the product ingredients changed for the worst!

I have used the Rain-x washer fluid for a long time now (8-10 years?) and worked very well, but the last 2-3 bottles don't seem to work like it used to.
I need to clay my windshields again and see if that helps, if not, I am going to look at other options (I have been wanting to try Nufinish, heard that works really well).

I have used both car wax and car sealant on my windshield in the past with excellent results. You just have to make sure the windshield is SUPER clean to start with. I usually apply wax on to the clean windshield in a crosshatch pattern followed by a circular pattern, then remove and buff multiple times with a clean, high-quality microfiber cloth to minimize any potential hazing, etc..

Works very well, overall.

Currently, I have Gtechnic G1 on my windshield, and while it works decently well, I'm not sure it works that much better for the cost than an occasional application of wax. It certainly lasts longer for a single application than the wax does.

I clay bar my windshield then I put a couple layers of meguires synthetic wax. I already have it out when I'm detsiling. It lasts 3-5 months for me. I don't need to use the wipers in the rain. No streaks or marks.

Maxima sc-1 is great as well but doesn't last as long.

Originally Posted by Leo99
After watching a Scotty video, I started using RainX windshield washer fluid. I like it. It leaves a nice little coating to make the water bead right off.

Me too... And that actually works rather well. No need for wipers above 40 mph. And it makes the rain on the windshield translucent which is very helpful too.

I've used the RainX for years. Older formula before they went to ethanol base ws better. But I've found application is much easier to buff off when it's colder out. Last time I did mine it was 45F out and easiest time I've ever had. At hotter temps it seems it is near impossible to buff off easily.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Aquapel is a product made by ppl that is very good. Apply like rainx but lasts longer.

I WAS a "long time" RainX user...The only people who use RainX are people who haven't tried Aquapel. It is patented by PPG and makes RainX look like child's play by comparison.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquapel-Glass-Treatment-By-PGW-12-Single-Use-Applicators-PPG/332134128936?epid=1737826375&hash=item4d54bc9d28:g:LiEAAOSwRLZaXjsK:rk:2:pf:0

I tried Aquapel once. It did absolutely nothing. I went back to using Rain-X. For me there's no comparison between the two...

I've used Rain-X for years. When I lived in Florida, I applied it to my windshield before work, and it baked in the summer sun all day until I clocked out to go home. It was a B to get off, but that coat lasted for years.

I've tried using various waxes, but they tend to make the wipers skip and make noise. Rain-X has never done that to me.

Originally Posted by mez
i find a newly purchase RainX does not work at all. My 20 year bottle i just finished worked great. Not sure the product ingredients changed for the worst!

I have you beat. My bottle of RainX was purchased in the early 1990's. It has only lasted this loan because I only use it on side windows.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed a difference in effectiveness of new Rain-X vs the old....I've been using it for decades and it seems to work the same as it ever did...

I had some old stuff bought in the '70s and it had an 'acidified' isopropanol base. They switched to an ethanol base and it was not as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back