Does Ravenol still use tungsten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a couple of years now I use RAVENOL Eco Synth ECS SAE 0W-20 for my Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L 2010.

Till recently in the description of the product there was a mention to tungsten. Now the word "tungsten" is missing from the oil's description in the German version of Ravenol's website. It is also missing from other oils' descriptions too.

Has Ravenol stopped using tungsten?

As far as I know, Ravenol products with the Vanlube W-324 are the "racing" oils and VST. So like VST, REP, RUP, RCS, etc. Best to ask them if you find it important.

Is it still in their description for DXG? That was always their halo product with tungsten.
I'm afraid not: https://www.ravenol.de/en/product/motorenoel/pkw-motorenoel/ravenol-dxg-sae-5w-30

As far as I know, Ravenol products with the Vanlube W-324 are the "racing" oils and VST. So like VST, REP, RUP, RCS, etc. Best to ask them if you find it important.

It's removed from their descriptions too. Have a look for example at RAVENOL REP Racing Extra Performance SAE 5W-30. No tungsten mentioned any more.

They should all use the real thing and switch to moly since it's less resistant to oxidation.

For a couple of years now I use RAVENOL Eco Synth ECS SAE 0W-20 for my Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L 2010.

Till recently in the description of the product there was a mention to tungsten. Now the word "tungsten" is missing from the oil's description in the German version of Ravenol's website. It is also missing from other oils' descriptions too.

Has Ravenol stopped using tungsten?
it has been upgraded to LED...:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: hrv
Is there a reasoning behind their decision?

I ain’t real sure, but maybe particular controversial experience (including Castrol) -

and SP requirements ..

Isn't less resistance a bad thing? Anyway, I thought tungsten had the edge in different performance areas compared to molybdenum: https://ws2coating.com/a-comparison-of-tungsten-disulfide-and-molybdenum-disulfide/

I'm waiting for them to add the upgrade on their website. 😜
Over on the German oil club there was some discussion when a batch of RUP I think was tested to be without Tungsten. It was explained this was due to supply chain issues and was substituted for that batch with an organic ester that performed better and was more expensive than the tungsten + AN mixture that they had been using. People were not pleased with the surprise switch even though Ravenol claimed the batch was superior. It could be they are just moving on from something that was more of a marketing differentiator than anything else. The Vanderbilt pages on the additive they used seemed to suggest it was similar to moly in effectiveness with some different pros / cons. Of course, as Mr. Argentum noted, it is yet another metallic additive that is not ashless in a time where everyone wants to reduce ash formation.

There's a lot of speculation going on here ;)
strangely enough, none of the recently released oils with a valid API SP license display (e.g. ICP) any tungsten levels. Sodium can be detected again in rare cases, but tungsten seems to have been disappeared.

strangely enough, none of the recently released oils with a valid API SP license display (e.g. ICP) any tungsten levels. Sodium can be detected again in rare cases, but tungsten seems to have been disappeared.
How many used tungsten in the first place? Its use was extremely rare from the get-go. Moly is by far the dominant FM additive, followed by titanium and then tungsten. Also, most labs don't test for tungsten, so how exactly are we gaining this profound insight?

Examples:
OAI (Polaris), note they test for titanium, but not tungsten:
Jeep SRT UOA Jun 6 2023.jpg

Blackstone, by far the most frequently used on here, tests for titanium, but not tungsten:
1686756600613.png

I think the Russian Oil Club tests for it, but that presents its own suite of issues, some obvious, including the limited sample size and location.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back