Does ignition coil color mean anything?

I have been using a blue coil pack on my v6 ford. It performed better than the stock unit. I even tried a new black motorcraft unit and it wasn' t as good.

Now i have seen and ordered a red coil pack. I saw somewhere describe the colors and say red is best with blue for weak spark. I also see some manufactures sell the same model in different colors.

The manufacturers of the red model also have a black one for much less money. They do not provide very much specs for them.

Attachments

• jm6807-b.jpg
    jm6807-b.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 61U1exOOKKL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg
    61U1exOOKKL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 10
It just seems to have significantly less lurching from a stop and delay in throttle response with the blue unit vs motorcraft.

I do notice now Ena motoring has a yellow version even more expensive than the red.

Maybe I should try to contact them.

It just seems to have significantly less lurching from a stop and delay in throttle response with the blue unit vs motorcraft.

I do notice now Ena motoring has a yellow version even more expensive than the red.

Maybe I should try to contact them.
The Lurching Test.

I’ll add that to your list.

The Lurching Test.

I’ll add that to your list.
It is a commonly reported issue in the v6 05-09 mustangs. I feel new throttle body, tune and fuel pump helped, but none as much as the blue coil pack.
Oof, Granatelli is part of the problem if that is who you are using.
I wish I could afford one. They do dyno tests.

Last edited:

Here is a link to a BMW 2002 article comparing Black, Blue and Red Bosch Ignition Coils.

Joe Leoni penned a somewhat technical article for the 356 Registry, Bosch Black Coil vs Blue Coil, subtitled What's the difference between a Bosch black coil and their blue coil--besides the color?, September 23, 2010. The black coil has higher current and longer duration, while the blue coil has a higher voltage. But higher voltage does not necessarily mean a better coil. If your car has a plug fouling problem, Joe suggests that higher voltage may help but to insure a more complete burn, the higher current the black coil lasts longer and will deliver the best performance.

Taken from:

Here is a link to a BMW 2002 article comparing Black, Blue and Red Bosch Ignition Coils.

Joe Leoni penned a somewhat technical article for the 356 Registry, Bosch Black Coil vs Blue Coil, subtitled What's the difference between a Bosch black coil and their blue coil--besides the color?, September 23, 2010. The black coil has higher current and longer duration, while the blue coil has a higher voltage. But higher voltage does not necessarily mean a better coil. If your car has a plug fouling problem, Joe suggests that higher voltage may help but to insure a more complete burn, the higher current the black coil lasts longer and will deliver the best performance.

Taken from:

Yes, but that is specific to Bosch, and only the old can-style coils. That is not a universal standard across the industry, and color (except for a few specific instances)is just aesthetic, and does not indicate any kind of performance difference in and of itself. Have to get into the multimeter and do some hands-on measuring, at a minimum. Or source spec sheets from the manufacturer.

However, after this many replies telling you the same thing, I don't think this reply will have any effect on your thinking, so...

You need to locate either a chartreuse or magenta coil for your application. The chartreuse is slightly better for mileage, the magenta slightly better HP at the cost of a mpg or two. Best of luck, and make sure you change your plugs every 200 miles while running these coils as the absolutely laws-of-physics-altering power output will melt the ceramic insulators in short order. Been there done that!

You use the red coil pack in red cars. Blue coil pack in blue cars, Green coil pack in green cars. I have no freakin' idea which color would go with white, black, silver, gray or neon colored vehicles.

(sarcasm included)

Back