Does Glass Really Cost This Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Safelite's mobile service charged $540 for a 'basic' windshield for my Mustang. $60 premium to get the "Ford" dot matrix logo at the top, like the original. I sprung for OEM looks.

Nowhere did I find a $250 windshield for this car, and would be scared of the quality if I had. Some cars are just pricey when it comes to glass, although I didn't expect the Mustang to be.

What price does this site give you?
smile.gif

$335.48

I got FUYAO glass installed. Not sure if they're any good or not.

Edit: Looks like they're a major glass maker and make OE glass for GM, Bentley, Ford, and Subaru. Also a lot is made here in the U.S., so I'm happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuyao

I've had more issues with the quality of the install than the quality of the glass. The last windshield I had installed I made sure it was OE, but after two attempts they still couldn't fix the wind leaks.

Originally Posted by atikovi
$113 wholesale for a Fuyao windshield from Mygrant Glass.

Funny mirror? My experience is cheap glass is thinner and also tends to not be visually perfect. However maybe just bad luck across 6 Mexican windshields then finally factory glass from installer And bliss.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Funny mirror? My experience is cheap glass is thinner and also tends to not be visually perfect. However maybe just bad luck across 6 Mexican windshields then finally factory glass from installer And bliss.

They are the OEM supplier for General Motors, Ford, BMW, Honda, Bentley etc. http://fuyaousa.com/

I know all experience is local but the Fuyao aftermarket glass I had installed in my old Sienna was flawless, even down in the corners where the previous glass was distorted. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to many gravel trucks here … we have a regular place where the same folks have worked in the front and the shop for years … most often the cost is 300-500 all in … and they always handle our 250 deductible
(Tahoe took acoustic glass, so the highest) …

Originally Posted by madRiver

I've been happy with the two Pilkingtons Safelite has installed. Although, I'm not happy with the install on my car when the cowl wasn't pulled although there was only a 3-5mm protrusion of glass into the cowl.

It seems like on many Honda/Toyota, most glass "installers" don't pull the cowl since there isn't much of an overlap. At least Safelife banned long knives which was partly to blame for pinchweld corrosion(and a tell-tale sign of a hacked install).

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I got FUYAO glass installed. Not sure if they're any good or not.

Edit: Looks like they're a major glass maker and make OE glass for GM, Bentley, Ford, and Subaru. Also a lot is made here in the U.S., so I'm happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuyao

Some of their pieces are US-made. If the DOT code is 1038, it's made in Moraine, OH. If it's DOT 459/748, it's a Chinese piece.

As much as I prefer not to use Chinese glass, I'd rather see an FYG installed than an XYG/Chinese PGW(DOT 563), Benson(DOT 593) or even US-made AutoTemp(DOT 509). Those brands have grossly mismatched solar tint or visual aberrations.

Off-topic but supposedly FYG also built an on-site restaurant that's open to the public and it's as close to real Chinese as one gets in Ohio per the reviews.

Last edited:
Just like in healthcare, they may have been gouging your insurance since they know they'll pay.

I paid around $225 out of pocket to have the windshield replaced on my XTerra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back