Does anyone ever just check diff fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No leak, still check it when purchasing used, and then again at 50,000 miles or something. Who knows what could've happened.
If you drive through deep water, water can get in the vent.
If you roll over once in a while, oil can pour out the vent.
Or the gear oil boogeyman could crawl under your car in the middle of the night and suck the oil out.

No leak, no check.

Yah, No Leak, cuz empty...Pinion seal is a classic drip. And what ever axle out put seals are potential leaks That's just RWD FWD is that plus steering.

Originally Posted By: andyd

No leak, no check.

Yah, No Leak, cuz empty...Pinion seal is a classic drip. And what ever axle out put seals are potential leaks That's just RWD FWD is that plus steering.

But I know if my vehicles are leaking because I check over my vehicles when I service them, so I know if I need to check or not.

My truck has a rear pinion leak, I check and add about once a year. I need to fix it, but am lazy.

Yes, it was listed as a maintenance activity in my truck's OM. Glad I did.

I discovered a low fluid level in the front differential with no signs of leakage, so it left the factory with a low level. So I drained & replaced it filled to the proper level.

The rear differential started to serp gluid as I was unscrewing the fill plug with fluid that looked good so I snugged that fill plug back down.

I'll replace fluid in both differentials, transfer case, transmission, & PS at 64K miles, the OM severe service interval. The ATF & PSF were changed around 32K miles when I checked differential & TC fluids the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back