Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 23,500 miles on oil 4,800 miles on filter - holes in filter media

How would I be able to tell?
IMG_8976.jpeg

Here is XG11665 that was made in Brazil. The font and color of the part number on yours makes me think it is also from Brazil. South Korean filter pictures shared by @4WD look different.

This may be info that Fram would be interested in, but me as well if the Brazilian filters are duds. I noticed the XG cartridge for my Toyota is now out if Brazil (was previously China).

Please explain the burning need to run this oil for 23,500 miles.
I like to safely experiment. The high quality of HPL oils allows us to experiment with extended drains. One of the main tenants of HPL oils is extended drains. HPL has a couple hundred million miles and hundreds of thousands of hours of runtime to support extending drains with their oils, all backed with data. When we use an oil that is proven and have data that shows the oil is still serviceable, then why drain it and throw it away?

Glad I got enough Fram Ultras to last a few years for my cars three years ago. One oil change a year, two oil changes per filter, per car.

He is not blinding going for long OCIs. He is regularly sampling. If a cam issue pops up, he'd see it on the UOA, assuming it started shedding.

Aren't cam issues manufacturing related and not lubrication related?
IIRC, the issue with the Pentastar is roller follower failure, which takes out the cam lobe (similar to the HEMI lifter failure), not an issue with the camshafts themselves.

Same model I run
Had excessive glue on the end caps, on my last purchase.
I’ll see if I still have a new one in my stash.
Will post to this thread

I havent been overly impressed by Fram ultra cartridge filters. The one I ran in my bmw showed twisting of the pleated media despite being torqued to a bit below spec (where the oe paint dot was).

FWIW, I like the wix platinum mesh backed cartridge filters, or the German made Mann ones.

Back