Do you throw away Oil bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many of you I toss mine. Local recycling says no automotive product containers, I guess not even fuel line antifreeze bottles. I do cut the bottom off the 5 qt bottles and use them as storage containers. My assorted nuts and bolts collection is much better organized and more likely to be used than ever.

I think the environment benefits of recycling are a cruel joke. The main appeal is to people making a living in the glass industry. It also has great support from the municipal unions due to the jobs it creates. Recycling is both energy and labor intensive. The amount of diesel and natural gas consumed producing glass in the first place, and then hauling it here and there to the consumer, collecting it, and hauling it back to the glass plant to consume more natural gas before starting over is unimaginable. Aluminum cans may make a little more sense. All the sorting and hauling about appeals to a certain mentality that wants people to suffer for the environment. No politician dares offend the lobbies that support it.

Far better to use the cheapest paper/foil/plastic laminates for packaging, collect them all together, and incinerate in well regulated waste to energy plants. Most other countries don't waste the resources we do messing with trash.

I do recycle my used oil. I use wide mouth detergent bottles to haul it to Iffy Lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back