Do you think there's a chance UOA might be ... ?

im considering running t6 for like 8k miles in my WRX as my tuner did and the UOA came back good.

some guy said its a bad idea..

Someone else said metal particles get caught by oil filter especially at extended OCI as it gets clogged, and hence would not be detected in the analysis. i know UOA shows viscosity but does it show how the additives have performed/are they still in the oil?

what you think

I just dont think im getting my money's worth changing Pennzoil Platinum at 5k miles and would like to switch to a longer daily driver interval

sorry its a little cut off, that's all there is
rs=w:400,cg:true,m

im considering running t6 for like 8k miles in my WRX as my tuner did and the UOA came back good.

Someone else said metal particles get caught by oil filter especially at extended OCI as it gets clogged, and hence would not be detected in the analysis. i know UOA shows viscosity but does it show how the additives have performed/are they still in the oil?

what you think

I just dont think im getting my money's worth changing Pennzoil Platinum at 5k miles and would like to switch to a longer daily driver interval
Filters never get clogged with metal debris on engines which spin bearings and grenade themselves. Euro makes have been running extended OCI's for over 20 years.

BS UOA's won't detect large particles but that's what you're eyes are for. ;)

Your UOA is fine aside from some loss of viscosity and fuel.

Yes a spectrographic analysis will not detect particles (not just Blackstone) so some other method of detection is needed if that is a concern. And yes there is fuel in the oil. Can’t read the TBN.

A UOA really doesn’t tell you how the oil did, it tells you a little about how the engine is operating under the conditions and usage.

what you think

Well a UOA can come back good, and then on the next OCI your engine could Fail. Yes, it has happened. Since you have a Tune, which opens up a big can of worms, I would stick with 5K on the Pennzoil Platinum.

The WRX engine is pretty high strung and usually driven hard. Is it tuned as well? 5K OCI would be the max I would go and 3K would be ideal to me. Oil is cheap compared to engine work.

Reactions: a5m
I think running T6 in your WRX, for 8k, is an excellent idea. Even looking at your previous UOA it appears that there is nothing out of the ordinary. Yes, there may be fuel in the oil but it's not doing any harm from what I see. It could be even more convenient on an annual basis if you put around 8k or so on your oil in a year. Your filter will be just fine. I do agree above that there is a point of fuel contamination that could start contributing to additional wear. On a smaller sump capacity, like your Subaru & as mentioned above, 4-5% would be max but that is not a hard rule for me it depends on the sump size.

Run it for 8k! (y)

Any metal particle large enough to be reasonably caught by a FF filter would never show up in a UOA. Spectral analysis can only see stuff
T6 is a decent lube, but a single UOA is a sample size of one ... far too little data to make any manner of a decision of lube effectiveness.

If fuel dilution is of concern, I recommend choosing a service other than BS; their method isn't as robust as other UOA services.

You're new to the site; please spend some time searching around and reading about UOAs, wear rates, etc.

just gonna run it 8k.. T6 has high zinc which will protect bearings or so I've heard.. fuel dilution is not an issue because it's a 5w40 not 5w30 which is on the cap. I bet I could run it for 12k taking it easy and it would be fine. having a tune doesnt mean jack.

- over maintaining something has never been proven to be anything but a waste of time and money

Last edited:
just gonna run it 8k.. T6 has high zinc which will protect bearings or so I've heard.. fuel dilution is not an issue because it's a 5w40 not 5w30 which is on the cap. I bet I could run it for 12k taking it easy and it would be fine. having a tune doesnt mean jack.

- over maintaining something has never been proven to be anything but a waste of time and money
Okay Jack.

It's likely around 4-5%, I consider that considerable, you might not.
Not sure where you are getting those numbers, but I think we are on the same page. There is undoubtedly some fuel dilution, and a conservative OCI is indicated for this owner as the minimum first step. No offense intended.

Who did you tune or is it OTS? Many tunes are out rich on boost to keep the temps down. That and DI don’t do duel dilution any favors.

I run a Stage 1 Cobb 91 octane (using 93 AKI) in my FXT (also FA20DIT). My UOA is somewhere here.

Okay Jack.

I would also recommend a lower OCI. I used to run my STI to 7k+ and that wasn’t ideal. I’ll also be pulling my FXT interval back to 5-6k due to similar issues.

Finally, it’s a bit weird that OP doesn’t know how to read or utilize a UOA but wont take the advice given here. A UOA isnt meant to be the end all, be all for determining wear. It’s literally the oil part that I use it for. Additives, viscosity, flashpoint, TBN, etc. How did THOSE parameters hold up. The wear particles are OK for trending, but only mean something to me if something spikes and stands out.

Last edited:
Not sure where you are getting those numbers, but I think we are on the same page. There is undoubtedly some fuel dilution, and a conservative OCI is indicated for this owner as the minimum first step. No offense intended.
The 365F flashpoint, when we've seen UOA's from both Blackstone and Polaris, when FP gets down around that figure, it's typically around 4-5% fuel. Of course we don't know the exact amount unless this sample was sent to Polaris for GC, but I'm just basing it on past comparative reports.

ah I get it so a UOA determines how the oils performance held up.

Long intervals are not meant for track use or gunning 24/7.

isnt synthetic oil supposed to keep its properties for a long time?

ah I get it so a UOA determines how the oils performance held up.

Long intervals are not meant for track use or gunning 24/7.

isnt synthetic oil supposed to keep its properties for a long time?
This response and your other response suggesting that you were in good shape because you were using a "W40" oil, not "W30" are baffling. Let me take one more shot at this addressing your recent questions as well as I can.

The UOA does not really determine how the oil's "performance" has held up. Oil itself, especially synthetic, holds up and maintains its physical properties for a long time beyond even 10K oci's. The oil may degrade a little, but it is more an issue that the oil takes up contaminants into suspension and in your case, fuel, into a solution. That contamination is what impacts your oil's capacity to protect the engine. In your case, there is some amount of fuel, also sabotaging the oil.

Not understanding your comment on what long intervals are for.

Synthetic oil is not doing much when your fuel dilution reaches high levels.

Change your oil at 5K.

Back