Do you put your auto in N when stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the weather is hot, and I need to bump up the idle speed to keep the coolant flowing and A/C cold, placing the trans in neutral is the way to go at a long stoplight. (Obviously, shifting back into Drive at normal idle speed). Or, when trailer-towing in hot weather. Or, after a difficult backing maneuver and I want the temp to stabilize before shutdown. (As there sure isn't much airflow at idle speeds).

I doubt this makes any significant difference in wear (assuming a good maintenance program), as any car used in around town, stop-and-go service is going to be shifted into Drive many times. Stop here, stop there, what difference is it making?

One thing I do know makes a difference is in shifting from Reverse to Drive without a slight pause in Neutral AND the vehicle being at a full stop. I constantly see folks change directions, and the auto trans is taking it in the gut. Now that's wear-and-tear!

Something else to think on: when the car is parked, do you engage the parking brake fully each and every time you stop? Or do you let the pawl take the brunt of the load?
I've seen more than one transmission destroyed (complete-and-utter destruction) when a parked car was hit, and the rear tires started to roll. Bye-bye trans! Locked rear wheels, no problemo. Although it may not happen, it would be a GOOD reason to deny fixing a trans by an insurance company.

Sold my last car, a '77 Impala wagon in 1995 with 240,000 miles, finally replaced that T-350 at 170,000 with 80% of those miles in-town. (I bought it used at 112,000 miles). No extra cooler on that one, just annual changes. (And yet again if submerged [due to vent] or towing).

As to being in Neutral, remember that most, if not all, US states require that a vehicle be in gear at all times. No exceptions. Driving or parked.

Neutral has its uses (especially for fluid pumping on some types), but like left-foot braking one has to learn the uses for full effectiveness.

I find this thread interesting and enlightening.

For years I have put my automatics in neutral at any red light that would be about 20 seconds or more.

Just a few weeks ago I had to put a new transmission-ignition interlock in an '88... no doubt brought to a somewhat earlier retirement due to my habit.

Based on the fact that no wear happens in the torque converter, but does in the clutches at engagement... I'm changing my mind about this "habit" I once considered perfectly beneficial. (Not to mention general driveline shock.)

However, I recently heard it said that 90% of transmission failures are due to overheating.

So I feel that I will continue to put it in neutral... but maybe extend my patience for red light length to about 40 seconds.

I don't imagine I'm too different from others: at a stoplight I'm likely to daydream, change the radio station, whatever. In other words, I'm not too likely to be paying attention to what is happening behind me. Being hit from behind and knocked into cross-traffic, or into anothers bumper because I need less brake pressure to hold the vehicle in one spot just doesn't sound like a good idea. I have no control over movement, no positive way to avoid further problems.

I was once stuck in a long line exiting a toll road at a booth on a 105F day. The twits behind me were in Neutral (as it turned out) and were hit by another car still traveling at 45 mph. Crushed that junker Asian mobile like a beer can. Knocked me forward (all I had to do was release the brake AND STEER AWAY WITH POSITIVE CONTROL to avoid the worst as traffic ahead of me had moved along).

Toll: one totaled beer can, one totaled Malibu, and I "suffered" a bumper bend. Minor. Lawyers were a little surpised I didn't want to join suit against the Malibu's insurance company.
Why? I was in a sixteen year-old car with over 200,000 miles on it. Should I file an affidavit of the statement of the fools behind me, "out-of-gear"? No more was heard on THAT subject).

If I'm going to shift to Neutral at a stop, it will be for a good reason, and I am going to be observant of what is happening around me.

I have also been knocked into oncoming traffic by a rear-end, and the thought of trying to find a gear AND manipulate brakes and throttle and steering is chilling. Getting my *** out of oncoming 45 mph traffic unscathed was enough.
Bad habits have a way of catching up at inopportune times.

As my old man drilled into me: There are no such things as accidents.

Common sense means not substituting false economies for good maintenance.

And arguments for miserliness over the common good have no standing in any court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back