Do you have to use an oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, if you change your oil every 3-5k with synthetic, do you really need an oil filter? My Husqvarna lawn tractor has had a plug on it since I bought it used 6 years ago without a problem. Could be an expensive experiment on a vehicle.

Why would you waste money changing synthetic every 3,000 miles? Might as well change the $3 filter while you're there.

Originally Posted By: junksta
Just wondering, if you change your oil every 3-5k with synthetic, do you really need an oil filter?

You do realize that oil and filter have two diametrically different jobs to do, right?

Synthetic oil has nothing to do with needing/not needing an oil filter.

Which vehicle do you do 3-5k miles OCI with synthetic oil ? Let me know when you want to sell it, I will pay top dollar for it.

Yes, you can re-use the oil filter if it is in service for less than 6-7k miles.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Why would you waste money changing synthetic every 3,000 miles? Might as well change the $3 filter while you're there.

+1

***** @ 3-5K oil change! Unless its a car thats been used on the Top Gear Test Track I dont think anything under 7k would be worth it to change unless your using it as an excuse to be under the car on a saturday morning with the sun warming the pavement and enjoying the clean air. That is a good excuse especially if car talk is on the radio!

At one point in the beginning engines oil circuits didn't have filters. Didn't vw bugs just have simple screens til the late 70s.
So yes in theory you could run an engine without a filter,my compressors and generators are splash lubricated so their not even using pressure and I've got small motors with in excess of 15000 hours without anything but oil changes.
However if air filtration is compromised dirt wil be injected and make its way into the oil where it will definitely score cylinder walls and possibly damage bearings and whatnot.
And we are all aware how by-pass filtration can help extend intervals to almost indefinite mileages as long as there is a regular replenishment of the additive package,so with that said if a person ran very short intervals they could get away without filtration.
It's funny. A lot of guys here freak out knowing that their by-pass valve may open for a moment or 2 when pressure spikes due to extremely thick cold oil or sudden full throttle increases in oil pressure and even when those events occur unfiltered oil only circulates a few times yet your thinking about no filtration at all.
Small engines with splash lubrication and the cheapest foam air filter in existence run with less than a full quart of oil for 100 hours at a time before changing the oil and I've got 2 examples of 5.5 Honda motors with in excess of 15000 hours I them,6 or 7 with 10000 hours and the rest are newer with under 5000 hours and they run great with only the bare minimum of maintenance and the cheapest oil I can acquire in 5 gallon pails yet in my vehicles I've got the super duper oil with a super duper oil filter and a monster conical air filter that can filter out germs and viruses and my car runs great,but so do my small engines without all the extra money.
I've gotta laugh at myself knowing all the money I spend on oil and so on for my cars and in reality if I just used the cheapest approved oils and filters I could find my car would likely run just as good as it does now.
The bitog bug is a funny sickness

My 2010 Acura RDX Turbo gets HTO6 approved Mobil1 5W30 every 4.5k-6.0K km as per OLM. This is the least OCI I have ever had in any car that I have owned in the past for a long time.

3k is a lot of use for a Lawn Tractor
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Which vehicle do you do 3-5k miles OCI with synthetic oil ? Let me know when you want to sell it, I will pay top dollar for it.

Yes, you can re-use the oil filter if it is in service for less than 6-7k miles.
My Honda Fit is for sale. 2012 with 3-5K oci with your typical diet of FALSE North American Big Brand pseudo- synthetic (e.g.: M1, VSP, QSUD, Subaru Idemitsu, etc.) The car is hammered on mercilessly; you DONT want it; Nothing would protect it. And unless its running killer hot or cold, the pseudo syn wont make a bit of difference over Group II.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
This would be a much more interesting discussion if Bob Winters was still around...

Is Bob Winters the oil guy after which this forum is named?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

How much exactly is "top dollar"? One hundred percent of Blue Book? So, if I understand you correctly, you are willing to pay "top dollar" to a man whom everyone here is ridiculing as foolish for spending an extra $10 on oil?

Seems like $10 well-spent to me. Doesn't it to you?

People on BITOG sometimes make no sense to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
This would be a much more interesting discussion if Bob Winters was still around...

Bob started an experiment on a car without an oil filter. As I recall, his theory was that once an engine is well broken-in, an oil filter wasn't needed. He unfortunately passed away shortly afterwards. Anyone remember if he published any data?

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
He unfortunately passed away shortly afterwards.

He hasn't passed away, but he did face some serious health issues.

It was a flawed methodology; particles large enough to be caught by the filter are too large to show up in a UOA.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back