Do you have more vehicles then driver's in your home?

I’m going to cut down to 4 vehicles, selling the Clubman and either buying a newer Wrangler or upgrading the one I have. But that’s as low as I am prepared to go.

5 cars for 5 drivers

The Avalon is in Brooklyn for our daughter, daughter in law, son and granddaughter

3 Volvo 240s at home for me and my wife

1 Volvo 240 in Western MA undergoing restoration.

We have 3 drivers and 17 cars mostly classics but they all are registered and insured.

More cars. It’s 3 drivers 8 vehicles. I’m a collector lol. I have the Beetle, Mazda Truck and Ford Escape and the 94 Camry. Dad also gave me the 94 Ford Econoline Van which I might give back to him as his Camry is on its last legs. Dad has the Jeep, 04 Camry. Mom has the 17 Camry that’s it. She is mad at our car addiction lol. Honestly I wish we didn’t have this many it’s so much insurance for me to pay on mine. My 94 Camry is the most expensive car on the insurance. I might try to get a couple hundred dollars out of it. Still haven’t fixed the reverse on it yet but it goes forwards. I really don’t like parting with my babies as I call them lol. I parted ways with my other Mazda Truck last year the 1990 that I lost the keys too it was very rusty and unsafe but the 89 Mazda I still have is my first car and in a lot better shape too I will never part with it or my Beetle you will have to put me in my grave first.

Some times even with 7 vehicles and 2 drivers, you may still not have one that is dependable. And its really bad if the only one with working AC gets damaged.

Well yeah, 10:2 or more accurate would be 8:1 and 2:1 with me being the 8 and my wife the 2 and the second only if it is really needed.

Finally to 1:1 (4 vehicles, 4 drivers). Was hoping we could car pool more, and we will if one breaks (two of them are >20 yr old and driven by people who can't fix 'em), but the four of us tend to go in opposite directions and not at the same time.

When the wife and I both worked (prior to retirement), it only made sense to keep a third vehicle around. I worked 25 miles away and she worked 30 miles away. If a vehicle broke down, there was no loss of a day's wages having that 3rd vehicle sitting in the backyard.

As our kids grew into adults and having their own jobs, they also depended on our extra vehicle, when they needed sudden transportation for work - in the event their vehicles broke down. When repaired, they always returned dad & mom's extra vehicle with a full gas tank, exterior washed, but soda cans and candy wrappers were stuffed under the front seats.

2:2

Rather see money just setting in places other than the driveway these days.
This is an example on why I'm different than you and you're different than the crabby neighbor next door to you.

I seemed to have been brought-up with too many morals and scruples. I was taught to never skip school or work. I kept that extra vehicle in our driveway because I was proud to only have missed one day of work every 10 years (on average).

The last time I missed work, I called-off sick and told my boss a year later that I wasn't really sick that day. My buddy called me the night prior and asked me if I wanted to go up-north hunting for the day. Our Union work contract gave us sick days, but not personal days back then (early 1980s).

My boss smiled when I mentioned I shot at a eight point buck that morning, but missed. Or-so I thought I missed. Another hunter found a dead eight point buck dead a half mile away, shot completely thru the butt-hole. The Buck never bled, so I thought I missed it.

As Paul Harvey used to say:.... Now you know the rest of the story!!!

This is an example on why I'm different than you and you're different than the crabby neighbor next door to you.

I seemed to have been brought-up with too many morals and scruples. I was taught to never skip school or work. I kept that extra vehicle in our driveway because I was proud to only have missed one day of work every 10 years (on average).

The last time I missed work, I called-off sick and told my boss a year later that I wasn't really sick that day. My buddy called me the night prior and asked me if I wanted to go up-north hunting for the day. Our Union work contract gave us sick days, but not personal days back then (early 1980s).

My boss smiled when I mentioned I shot at a eight point buck that morning, but missed. Or-so I thought I missed. Another hunter found a dead eight point buck dead a half mile away, shot completely thru the butt-hole. The Buck never bled, so I thought I missed it.

As Paul Harvey used to say:.... Now you know the rest of the story!!!
Ok… I don’t recall ever missing work due to having only 2 vehicles for numerous reasons…

1) I have the flexibility to work from home periodically when needed.

2) If had to miss work, it wouldn’t really be the end of the world… I have a use it or lose it PTO system at work. Meaning if I don’t “miss work” sometimes, I’m basically giving my labor away for free. And not using my earned PTO bank wouldn’t make me “more moral” than someone who did frankly.

3) Lastly I can only remember one time in the last decade or so that we had a vehicle down for long enough to need another vehicle and we just rented another vehicle. Which I imagine was much, much cheaper in the long run than purchasing and maintaining another vehicle altogether.

Back